Camaro Good Drift Car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camaro Good Drift Car?

Well some guy is looking at selling is Camaro the only downside is that it's an auto with 3.4L (160hp 200lb/ft torque). Although the lack of power and auto trans this should be enough to get me started. Is there any good suspension setups for the camaro to make it a good drifter? and i'm pretty sure a 5-speed shouldn't be hard to find to swap into it.

Power Slideways

You should find your answers there.

Comment

well the tuning/tech section is under construction and that's what I want to get more info on so maybe the owner of that site can post here to give me some tuning and setup tips.

Comment

Being new to drifting and trying to throw a car the size of a camaro with an auto tranny sideways isn't going to happen overnight. It'll take time (probablly quite a bit) to get good but it is capable of drifting. Not the ideal car to start with but oh well.

Comment

wow I never thought of the camaro being a big car, maybe cause I've been driving one around for the last 5 years

I wouldn't start with a v6/auto get a v8/manual cause you'll wont one after driving the sixer around. 93-97 Z28's are easy to find and really cheap. as far as the suspension go's stock is pretty good but there are upgrades(springs, shocks, control arms, panhard rod, subframe connectors, etc)

Comment

Originally posted by CRASH
            well the tuning/tech section is under construction and that's what I want to get more info on so maybe the owner of that site can post here to give me some tuning and setup tips.
            Check out the Vids section man.
            Or better yet...Here's revlimit( a powerslideways member) in action.

http://www.neptune.com/users/808tony...tony286666.wmv
            (right click/save target as)

Comment

V6 and automatic? And if it's also a convertable, this is possibly the worst all around camaro available. This is America. I'm sure no matter where you live there are old guys who's wives are making them sell their V8 camaros and Firebirds, and a good percentage of them will have 5 or 6 speed transmissions. The only reason you should get an auto is if you plan on doing way more drag racing than drifting, and even then a V8 is much better.

Comment

No you can't drift a camaro...only imports can go sideways...der [/sarcasm]
                Last edited by Wickdmarz; 06-02-2005, 02:49 PM.

Comment

i got an idea

do what the *censored*censored*censored* you want to do

what an idear!!!!

if you want to become a good drift car, all you gotta do is put the time and effort into it and it will become a good drift car...there's cars out there that just weren't meant to drift (miata) but man, with a few practices here and there and learning the hard way and figuring out what you need to drift properly...it all works out...

"drifting is not about drifting a car everbody else likes, it's about drifting the car YOU like"
                  -Ueno

if u want to drift a auto camaro, go wreck shop with a auto camaro, otherwise go a buy a fawking 240sx like everyone else

Comment

http://www.hotrodhomepage.com/drift

^^ theres your answer

Comment

Actually, a very small percentage of Fbodies are manual. The 3.4 with an auto, will also have an open diff. This car like most any other is setup to understeer before oversteer, so it takes some pretty drastic moves to break the rearend lose, even exiting slow corners. The rear springs are very soft. Helpful at the dragstrip but, not for drifting. If you get this car, on a slick surface, with some old rockhard tires though, you can have some fun. So taking that knowledge, some much stiffer springs and dampners possibly some adjustable Konis, could really help it slide around. Another problem is that the engine is anemic down low. It makes it's 160 hp at 5000 rpm, and the the shifts are just above that, so you are going to have to keep it on the boil, which the auto trans won't help. If you can find one with the 3.8 200hp and a five speed, that would be a much better choice. There are supercharger kits for the 3.8 that put them close to the LT1 cars in terms of horspower, plus you will have less weight over the front end than the iron block LT1 cars (93-97 Z-28, SS, Formula WS6). Good luck!

Comment

There's a ton of suspension stuff our there for these cars. Plenty of web sites and plenty of "road-racing" parts out there. Remember Drifting suspension is real close to road racing suspension.....
                        If it were me though, I'd wait to find a car with a manual tranny. Obviously you can Drift with an automatic (as do a lot of people on this board and I have done a ton of it myself) BUT it is way easier to Drift a manual car.... Doing a swap is not a huge deal but enough of one that I wouldn't deal with it if I didn't absolutely have to......
                        HTH,
                        DV

Comment

Yeah our tech section isn't there because it was all lost (DVD disc damaged). Gonna have to re-write it all, short on time these days. Anyway, pretty much focus your mods on chassis and suspension first. Once you got that down (like a good base to learn/practice off) then worry about power and drivetrain swaps. You dont need alot of power at first anyway because you'll be learning at probably lower speeds, and when you're at lower speeds you can always make up for a lack of power with your tire choice, pretty much just run smaller tires in the rear at high psi. And when you're drifting the track, remember that what you lack in power you can make up with momentum. Will being underpowered be a disadvantage? Sure. But will it prevent you from learning and having fun? Nope. Same thing goes for the auto tranny, its not preferred but its do-able. You will have to become familiar with weight transfer and power over to get the car to slide. In my opinion this is a great thing to learn first, once you got that down, add in the ability to clutch kick later or e-brake later and you're gonna be dangereous. Again, is the auto a disadvantage? Sure. But will it prevent you from learning and having fun? No way.

I learned to drift in a semi-stock underpowered 175hp automatic 3500 pound camaro with stock blown suspension, a panhard bar, and exhaust. If I can do it, you can too. hahahaha. Here's a pic:

A good tech forum for 3rd gen camaro information: www.thirdgen.org

Comment

^^ what island are you on i was on big island for a month my mom lives ther i had the funnist time so many curves there

Comment

Working...
                            X