No announcement yet.

Low-pro tires on 13, 14, 15" wheels??!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low-pro tires on 13, 14, 15" wheels??!

Hey I have been looking at some of the nasty low offset huge lip flared corrollas and such, rocking 14's and 15's. A lot of them look there running really low profile tires, like 40's or 45's I have never seen at tire rack or any place like that, tires less then like 185/65/14 or something close to that. Where do these tires come from? Or am I just seeing things?

Ask those guys that drive those huge + offset accords and civics that look look like open wheel ricers j/k (why do they do that anyway?) Don't know how good of a lead this is but maybe try a lowrider magazine? They deal in small rim sizes for most of their vehicles. Good luck with that

Comment

I am not talking about low rider BS, there are tons of 86s and even s13s with smaller diameter rims with mad flare and lip, that run what look like low profile tires.

I am not looking for 15 by 10" g-ride wheels, I am talking about the work and advan oldschool rims you see on cressidas and hachi's they seem like they have like 145/45/15s or some shiii^ite, instead of the 185/65/15s you can get at autozone....

http://www.drifting.com/forums/showt...3&page=1&pp=15
      Last edited by SpazmSi; 05-30-2005, 08:56 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

Originally posted by SpazmSi
        Hey I have been looking at some of the nasty low offset huge lip flared corrollas and such, rocking 14's and 15's. A lot of them look there running really low profile tires, like 40's or 45's I have never seen at tire rack or any place like that, tires less then like 185/65/14 or something close to that. Where do these tires come from? Or am I just seeing things?
        tires in japan are made of something differant i believe...im sure you can score a set of tires that your looking for...if i find some i'll let you know...

Comment

Originally posted by SpazmSi
          I am not talking about low rider BS, there are tons of 86s and even s13s with smaller diameter rims with mad flare and lip, that run what look like low profile tires.

I am not looking for 15 by 10" g-ride wheels, I am talking about the work and advan oldschool rims you see on cressidas and hachi's they seem like they have like 145/45/15s or some shiii^ite, instead of the 185/65/15s you can get at autozone....

http://www.drifting.com/forums/showt...3&page=1&pp=15
          ahhhhh...i know what your talking about!...they stretch tires...15" rims ith stretched 14" tires...make them look low profile.good for drifting becuase they dont slide around on the rim.

Comment

Really?? Thats what I was looking for, thanks. I was afraid the tires were JDM only or ridiculously exspensive.

Comment

ya,what size tires/wheels you have? if you have 15" in wheels go with 14" tires then stretch them...only thing is they are hard to stretch.and most people wont do it(they think its dangerous)...but it does look pretty mean.they also have better contact with the pavement! helps with body roll/tire roll...things of that nature when your drifting.i have stock 15' rims on my FC with stretch 14" tires right now...i just did it about 4 days ago.it just took me a few minutes to think of what you were thinking of...

Comment

Never heard of anyone putting 14 ich rubber on 15 inch wheels, but you can find those sizes. Just ask your tire dealer. They won't usually have them on the sales floor, but some places can get them. If you go to a rim shop, as mentioned before, they'll be able to help.

Comment

Originally posted by NHDrifter
                  ya,what size tires/wheels you have? if you have 15" in wheels go with 14" tires then stretch them...only thing is they are hard to stretch.and most people wont do it(they think its dangerous)...but it does look pretty mean.they also have better contact with the pavement! helps with body roll/tire roll...things of that nature when your drifting.i have stock 15' rims on my FC with stretch 14" tires right now...i just did it about 4 days ago.it just took me a few minutes to think of what you were thinking of...

that is incredibly dangerous, when people "stretch" tires they're not talking about using a smaller diameter on a larger rim, they're talking about using a narrow series tire on a wider rim, say like stretching 205 series tires on a 7 inch rim, when you put a 14" tire on a 15" rim you're basically destroying the sidewall and i'm suprised you didn't have that tire blow up in your face when filling it with air... honestly that's very very dangerous and those tires are not a matter of if they'll blow but when... i'm thinking maybe you lucked out and actually have 14" rims that you thought you were 15". The only purpose of "stretching" tires is to gain a larger contact patch by widening out the ammount of tire that is actually on the road also you reduce sidewall flex. I honestly don't even think it's possible to fit a 14" tire on a 15" rim, without completly destroying the rim, i work in a tire shop, i just don't see this even happening without either A) destroying the tire in the process B) destroying the rim in the process or C) if you managed to get it on, the tire wouldn't sead properly over the bead on the rim and it would blow up in your face or simply not fill up.

Comment

alright dude, the japense have been doing this tire streching for years now,on drift cars...its called (Hipari) japansese for streched.Taka Aono has streched tires on his car, i believe they are 16" rims with 15" Hipari tires...there is a thread of (crazy japanese cars)...look at the old 280z's..plus my friend (Battle Drift) had a friend in japan with a Skyline R32 with Hipari tires.he said they were on the highway and feeling a little sketched out about the tires blowing off the rim,i dont recemend this to anyone with a daily driver,i would do it off-road use only!...if i knew how to post pics i would show you my car with (hipari) tires. it also reduces tires roll significantly ...go ahead and think what you want to think,you have a right to your own opinion

Comment

hapiri is not putting a tire for a 14 inch wheel on a 15 inch wheel lol

you are wrong

it is when you stretch a narower tire on a wider wheel like runnig 205 widh on a 8 inch wide wheel.

i run low pro tire up front. 195 50 15 es100 on my 240 with stock wheel. pretty small but it works better than a 205/60 up front.

Comment

everything sdtouge said is correct, hipari isn't putting smaller tires on larger diameter rims... this is impossible, trust me, i work in a tire shop, and i work with tires for a living, i know how they mount and i know what's possible to do with them that isn't. you can use narrow tires on wide rims as stated a few times in this post... anyway i'm done you're going to believe what you want to anyway

Comment

whoa...i guess i got the wrong information from my friend (wont listen to him agian)...yeah i will admit im wrong and you guys are right,thank you for clearing it up

Comment

Werd is this a trial by erro type of thing or are there common tire sizes for 14s and 15s?

Hx-50 will a tire shop do this for you or is it tooo unorthodox for a commercial business to do and not get sued?

Comment

Most tire places wont stretch tires due to 1 reason and 1 reason only...its alot of work!!!

You can find 14(15)(16) X 45 ...or smaller...but you have to look for it. Its generally in the higher performance range of tires. Id say check out yokohama, as well as kumho and sumitomo, and of course falken. I used to run 15 X 45 and 15 X 40 for a long time before i went to 17s. But remember when you go to a smaller tire size it breaks loose easier , and requires you to countersteer faster. So , first make sure your comfortable with the tire size you have now, and the rubber band effect, after that and you feel you are comfortable moving up to smaller sidewall than do it.

cheers!

Comment

Working...
                              X