2002 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT

Hey everyone, been a while sence i've been on here. Nearly a year. So, I have a 02 Legacy GT AWD with 165hp at 5600rpm and 166ft lbs torque at 4000rpm , and my goal is to be able to drift it. I have this Turbo kit that will put 100hp bolt on at only 6psi (6-8psi reconmended, but i'd like to tune it for 10psi... I'd like to be able to spin my wheels out on command.) Took me 6 months to find a site that sells em. Mind you I think my car is like 100+ lbs lighter than the WRX Impreza, and with the Turbo upgrade, is even a little faster.

http://www.spomotorsports.com/Catego...tomerID=333560

Is the web site page for the turbo upgrade. Mind you it'd take a long time to get that money for it. I know I'd have to get a new suspension, i'm looking at the TEIN Super Drift (no idea if they would be able to fit my car). I have a buddy that works on his friends Rally STi. The dude has a few mill to throw around. My buddy could maybe help me out on some stuff for my car.

What would I need in all. Upgrades that is.

I'd like some imput and advice/technique to drift a AWD car. I'm a person of challanges, and don't look for the easy road... unless it has some nice curves. Gime some input if ya can. Thanks to all for reading this.
    Last edited by EngelAzreal; 09-26-2005, 07:55 PM.

Welcome back to Drifting.com.

First off, glad to see another awd drifter.

Second, a turbo on the NA 2.5L engine, it doesn't work. You'll blow up the engine. The only way to reliability run a turbo in a Subaru is to run either the 2.0L turbo from a WRX or the 2.5L from the STI(or Turbo Forester). The NAs just aren't built strong enough for any boost, any.

Since yours is a Legacy, I think you could throw in the 3.0L in and get 250hp. That'll give you your 100hp gain.

As far as suspension, there's lots of options available, all with different characteristics. I haven't looked into Legacys, so I'm not sure what companies have setups available.

If you want more info, check out Nasioc's forum out on www.nasioc.com Do a lot of searching, write a couple posts, see what you get back. There's a HUGH archive of info there, HUGH. You just need to look for it. It's also a hugh and very active forum, so you'll get a lot of feedback if your posts aren't too noobish or stupid, otherwise, there are some that will just mock you, lol.

Comment

Heh. Thx man. Hmmm. Really? The turbo from the company is a bolt on... reveiwed in 03 in one the of the Mags. Made for it. Hmmmm. the 3.0ltr eh? Thats what the B4 uses in Japan. Except.... its a twin turbo. Any idea on where to find them, or how much? Thx for the info and site. Have a good one.

Comment

I'm sure there are turbo/supercharger kits available, at least a couple, but from everything I've ever come across in the two years of owning my Forester and reading up online on everything I can possibly mod on the car, I've only come across the general concensus that turboing/supercharging a natural aspired 2.5L Subaru engine is a good way to wreck your engine. Basically, the engine was built "just strong enough" to work work reliably in its NA form. Note: these engines can run 200,000 to 300,000 miles, but they just can't handle boost. Turboing it with its stock compression is pretty much a guaranty for buying yourself a new engine. It's better to start off with an engine that's been built up for turbo duities in the first place. That way, you've got the beefed up internals and the lower compression more suited for turbo/supercharger applications.

Just looked at the turbo kit. I'll note it lists the year range from 97 to 99. I know the 2.5L engines were built differently for those years and may be the only years that could actually support boost. It's been some time since I read up on the stuff, so I can't say exactly what's different between the years.

Since yours is a Legacy, you can turn your car into the H6 form running the 3.0L flat 6 that is available for the Subaru Legacy or its wagon form, the Outback. I'm not sure what a B4 is. I'm not sure what tranny this engine uses either as you may need more than just the engine for this mod. I think the 3.0L 6 can be turboed to some extent in stock form. Again, I have looked into the Legacy and 3.0L engine stuff very, very little. I just know people have turboed the engine and knowing of someone somewhat locally stuffing a twin turboed 3.0L in their Impreza. Check out NASIOC for more info. There's a nice power bragging section that should have a bit of info on monster engines.

You can buy crate engines from a few manufactures. Otherwise, you should be able to find engines and trannies in a few junk yards if you're lucky. Maybe you can find a NASIOCer that's doing an engine swap and is willing to part with a particular engine that you may be interested in.

I wish I could be of more help or give more detail, but it's been some time since I've come across this info, and I'm kind of going off memory here. Again NASIOC has a HUGH archive of info were every consevable question has already been asked about 100 times, lol. Your info is there. You just have to dig for it.

As far as starting off on drifting the awd, start on gravel. It's the only surface you'll be able to work on with that level of power in the awd format, well that and snow/ice. It'll also save you a ton of wear and cash for tires.

There's some awd drifting articles on this forum. Check them out for awd drifting techniques and how they differ from drifting a rwd platform.

Comment

Hey man, thanks for everything. I emailed the company about the kit, and asked them is it just for the 97-99 and said its for all the years. Hmmm, I did see an artical about a rally racer with a 95 Impreza get the H6. Monster of an engine. I got my Subie from Frank's Irvine Subaru. The parts and service guy might be able to help me on some stuff. My step dad talked to him about the Turbo kit and to give him the parts list. I would like to get an STi engine on there, cus wehn I was talking to him, he said that my engine and the STi's are the same. But mine is just a highly detuned version. The B4 is the STi version of the Legacy. A twin turbo 2.0 with about 250hp or a little higher.

The most I wana shoot for is around 300hp in all. Just enough to get my wheels smoking if I want. Also just enough so that my gas mileage won't kill me. Hell my High School is down my street and sence I drive my car like a race car, I have to fill up my 16.9 (17) gallon tank every week. On the good weeks.

I need to find out some more info on the H6, B4 Blitzen and the STi engine. *drools* *coughs* Yeah.
          Last edited by EngelAzreal; 10-05-2005, 07:40 PM.

Comment

this thread is depressing...and frustrating..

Comment

Why coiloverkid? Because we're talking about Subarus and awd cars?

Well, the 2.5L NA is built "just strong enough" from anything I've come across. The 2.5L turbo found in the STI or Forester XT is a beefed up version of the 2.5L engine. Boost on stock 2.5L NA engine, boom. Boost on STI, FXT engine, weee!!! I'm just not liking the turbo on the NA engine without any internal work. You're just asking for trouble. I have yet to hear anyone run a turbo or supercharger reliably on a 2.5L NA. There are a few and some testing going on with turbo and supercharger work on the NA engines. I've also heard about lots of blown up engines. Basically, everyone will tell you boost and the NA engine just don't work together. I won't hold you back from doing it. It can work, but don't get greedy with boost or timing. As well, I'm not sure how much you need to invest on engine managment to get the car to run reliably. When you're all said and done, you probably spent enough to buy a WRX or STI engine anyways.

2.0L STI? Where you from? USA gets 2.5Ls, although I know the STI runs the 2.0L in other parts of the world. I remember seeing the European STI running the 2.0L at 250hp on Top Gear. The USA WRX runs the 2.0L engine and puts out 227hp. USA WRX STI, 2.5L and 300hp. The Forester XT is also 2.5L and the same engine as the STI, just a wimpier turbo, maybe smaller intercooler, exaust, etc., not exactly sure. The FXT is rated at the same 227hp as the WRX, but people say it's more powerful, torqier. The H6 will get you 250hp right from the start in NA form and offer more torque to boot. Turbo would make the thing nasty. I just don't know the maximum limits of each engine. For example, the 2.0L could out power both the 2.5L and 3.0L engines for max power and reliability if it's a stronger engine. I have no clue on the capability aspect of any of the engines though. I know the 2.0L is the work horse and has been the base for the WRX cars. The 2006 WRX, at least in the USA, isl getting the 2.5L engine. Seems the 2.0L is starting to get phased out.

I'm not sure about wheel smoking. The only problem with awd is that it requires about double the power to do the same thing a rwd can. You'll basically need all of that 300hp just to loosen the tires. As well, 300hp through the tranny, drivetrain, diffs, etc. is a lot of punishment. It's tough to build a reliable, long lasting, high powered awd car. You need twice the power and have twice as many parts to fail. If you're beefing up the engine, the tranny should be able to take the punishment, the driveshalves should be able to take the punishment, the diffs should be able to take the punishment, etc. Just realize, that stock tranny is going to go when you start making over 200 hp. The WRXs use the same tranny, but they're pushing it a little. The STI runs a tougher 6 speed tranny as well as beefier driveshalves, and stronger diffs. It's not just engine work, there's drivetrain work too. It's just something to keep in mind when you've got power on the brain.

Do some asking of those who have made the kind of power you're searching for. There's a nice power bragging section on Nasioc that shows some of the numbers people are running with their cars. See what they've done to their cars. Maybe PM a few and ask about specifics for build up and toughening the car for the power.

Comment

Ahh, true true. Ohh, the 2.0ltr STi. Lol. I was saying that the Legacy B4 RSK (and I think the Blitzn) has the same 2.0TT Engine. EJ20TT. The Legacy B4 is the Legacy like STi. Both Legacy RSK and Blitzn are twin turbo. Though, the STi has the EJ25T with 300hp, the B4 has a EJ20TT, with around 250. They don't really sound like a WRX or STi... *sniff sniff* Sad aint it. Trying to find *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* for my 02 is like trying to find a 4 legged chicken... nearly impossible. Meh. Dreams man... I have a dream! Hahaha. Off to put an intake for my car...

Comment

lets see i went from a 97 240sx with suspension work n whatnot
                  to a 05 Legacy GT
                  im basically applying the same techqniues i use from drifting
                  to autox in my LGT
                  since i have pushed it to its limits before drifting wise
                  and i know what it can and can not do
                  so just go try it, who knows you might like the end result

but that's just FYI
                  Last edited by ProjectS15; 10-25-2005, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X