ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to drift and also introduce myself.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to drift and also introduce myself.

Hi, I have been wanting to get into drifting and I would like some help and suggestions.

Let me first introduce myself, I'm 15 (16 this tuesday), and I own a 95 Chevy Cavalier, It has Automatic transmission, and most of you know that this a FF car, I don't know where I could start learning to drift, I dont want to do drifting on the streets because I might crash on a car or a cop gives me a ticket.

I have been learning to drive for about almost a month(if not a month yet), I pushed my car a little on a limit on getting up to speeds faster, so I'm not really scared of the accelerator as I was when I first strarted to drive legally, I started to drive when I has 7 on a dune buggy on the beach and on the streets(neighborhood).

I was reading this forum yesterday and some of them said to get the drift bible to learn how to drift, I'm going to buy it later(I'm saving up for a xbox 360).

I have been playing racing games since I was 6 years old and I'm still playing racing games and one of games that got me into drifting was NFS: Underground, when I saw it I just wanted to learn how to do that when I was able to drive a real car(not a buggy, or driving around the neighborhood in your parents car).

My dad taught me first to drive when I was 5 years old (just using the steering wheel, I couldn't reach the pedals yet), I always wanted to drive after that, then 2 years later I saw a dune buggy on a shop and I wanted to get one, so my dad and grandpa went out and bought me one, It was so awesome driving by myself, so I got into racing even more.

Now I want to learn to drift, But I still don't know where I could start learning, and also some advice on how I should start, I heard that you have to have a Manual Transmission car to drift, can I drift on my automatic?

Touching story , you can drift in an automatic but its best to use manual. What is more important is that you use a RWD car. You could use a fwd but it will be harder and you wont be able to do some of the stuff like u can in a rwd car. The first thing you should do is start reading and researching. If you have any questions use the search button for that subject and if you cannot find it just ask and somebody will help.

Comment

Originally posted by c0d3_z3r0
      Hi, I have been wanting to get into drifting and I would like some help and suggestions.

Let me first introduce myself, I'm 15 (16 this tuesday), and I own a 95 Chevy Cavalier, It has Automatic transmission, and most of you know that this a FF car, I don't know where I could start learning to drift, I dont want to do drifting on the streets because I might crash on a car or a cop gives me a ticket.

I have been learning to drive for about almost a month(if not a month yet), I pushed my car a little on a limit on getting up to speeds faster, so I'm not really scared of the accelerator as I was when I first strarted to drive legally, I started to drive when I has 7 on a dune buggy on the beach and on the streets(neighborhood).

I was reading this forum yesterday and some of them said to get the drift bible to learn how to drift, I'm going to buy it later(I'm saving up for a xbox 360).

I have been playing racing games since I was 6 years old and I'm still playing racing games and one of games that got me into drifting was NFS: Underground, when I saw it I just wanted to learn how to do that when I was able to drive a real car(not a buggy, or driving around the neighborhood in your parents car).

My dad taught me first to drive when I was 5 years old (just using the steering wheel, I couldn't reach the pedals yet), I always wanted to drive after that, then 2 years later I saw a dune buggy on a shop and I wanted to get one, so my dad and grandpa went out and bought me one, It was so awesome driving by myself, so I got into racing even more.

Now I want to learn to drift, But I still don't know where I could start learning, and also some advice on how I should start, I heard that you have to have a Manual Transmission car to drift, can I drift on my automatic?
      Sell the car and get something cheap and rwd with a proper transmission like an fc or miata and then go to drift events most events have instructors that are more than capable of teaching you the basics. I suggest learning to do dougnuts in 1st and 2nd gear before even going onto a course. then figure 8's then you can hit a track or course. The drift bible is a good resource and so is the new nomuken drift video from video options I have both and I will make my wife watch both of them before I let her try dougnuts in my car heh

Comment

Forget NFSU.

Forget the XBOX360

Forget video games altogether. Theyre not going to help you learn to drift, because they are all made with arcade racer physics that make the game easy to play so they can sell and make money.

If you MUST play video games, please throw your copy of NFSU out your window and buy GT4. If your short on cash, get GT3. Learn to drift in those games, they probably have the most lifelike physics of any other game out there, and you will be much more prepared to drift in the real world compared to f***ing NFSU...

Sell the cavalier, get a cheap RWD(240sx, miata, fc rx7, really old celica, MR2, mustang/camaro/firebird if you want to be different,...the list goes on), and go out and get some seat time in.

Edit-

Drifting isnt really going to need much speed, so you dont have to get used to going fast. And by not much speed, I mean, your not going to be getting sideways at 100mph anytime soon. I dont even think pro's even get that fast when they do those huge ebrake slides on straightaways...

If you need somewhere to practice...A track is the best, but if your not near one, go to a big empty parking lot. I go to my school's parking lot and drift, theres also an old run down stadium close by with a large parking lot i use.
        Last edited by Kptrk06; 11-12-2005, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kptrk06
          Forget NFSU.

Forget the XBOX360

Forget video games altogether. Theyre not going to help you learn to drift, because they are all made with arcade racer physics that make the game easy to play so they can sell and make money.

If you MUST play video games, please throw your copy of NFSU out your window and buy GT4. If your short on cash, get GT3. Learn to drift in those games, they probably have the most lifelike physics of any other game out there, and you will be much more prepared to drift in the real world compared to f***ing NFSU...

Sell the cavalier, get a cheap RWD(240sx, miata, fc rx7, really old celica, MR2, mustang/camaro/firebird if you want to be different,...the list goes on), and go out and get some seat time in.

Edit-

Drifting isnt really going to need much speed, so you dont have to get used to going fast. And by not much speed, I mean, your not going to be getting sideways at 100mph anytime soon. I dont even think pro's even get that fast when they do those huge ebrake slides on straightaways...

If you need somewhere to practice...A track is the best, but if your not near one, go to a big empty parking lot. I go to my school's parking lot and drift, theres also an old run down stadium close by with a large parking lot i use.
          As far as video games forza for xbox or gt3 for ps2 gt4 has some bunk oversteer physics its the only thing I really didnt like about the game. Forza is so realistic that if you are a good driver and play some video games you can pick it up and kick *Censored**Censored**Censored* there isnt really a huge learning curve like gt games

Comment

Yeah man, video games don't do jack for drifting. GT4 is the closest your going to get in real life except that once the tail comes out it's like you're on ice. Actually, if you have an arcade nearby Battle Gear might even be more realistic than Gran Turismo.

Either way, learning to drift takes one thing and one thing only. Seat time. Sell the Cavalier, get something RWD and standard shift. Learn to drive it properly then take it to a local drift practice. If there are none around you you're stuck with parking lots. I know you're worried about tickets but you gotta pay to play man. Not doing it near housing areas or busy streets lowers the risk of people taking notice.

B-Wurm
            Last edited by Buddyworm; 11-13-2005, 05:44 PM.

Comment

move to japan, learn the lingo, get a car, crash it and then thats how you get started!

Comment

yaaa

hell ya battle gear 3 in the arcade.. pimpest game ever.. oh and i suggest gettin rid of the cavalier and gettin an old school celica.. if you dont have money it is a good drift car.. basically its the poor mans 240.. drives pretty close to the same.. 2.4sohc.. its got the torque to drift pretty nice..

Comment

Hey bud; welcome to drifting.

Drifting is a huge investment; even if you just want to fool around on a track and not do it professionally.

You're rather new to the whole driving situation, so I wouldn't go out and start trying to do e-brake slides in your new car... remember; its the only one you got... one wrong move is all that it takes; just ask any driver.

Skip the video games, and buy a few good books; on driving, racing, and drifting. Getting a good mechanics book and a toolset is also something that you will need to invest in (unless you want to local garage to horde you for money).

Car control, and knowing your vehicle inside and out is key... that way when you brake it; you can fix it yourself. Safety is also #1. Invest in a good helmet (they are expensive for a reason) and a racing seat (those Chevy seats suck!).

Now I don't know you; but I would recommend getting yourself a decent paying job; because it is going to get pretty expensive. Engine/Transmission/Tire Changes happen at a lot faster intervals than daily driving!

Comment

*give up ... it's not worth it*

Comment

not a bad way

i would suggest you go back to the buggy sand is a great place to start for a begginer. once you can master a drift in sand the translation to real road conditions should be a bit easier. I agree with the others that you really do need
                      an FR for drifting like an early cellica 83-85 becuase they are cheap and easly found (unlike thier ae86 couterpart) the celica has a more beefy set up and can take quite a beating as you learn to drift correctly. the only drawback to the celica is its wieght the damn things heavy it normaly with R22 2.4L engine has a hard time getting up to speed but with a little tuning and a clutch made by todays standards you should be able to set it sideways
                      If you need some more advice
                      or if you just need some ideas on
                      what else you'll need
                      Wire4001@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                      X