Shaved handles legal in competitions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaved handles legal in competitions?

Hey everyone, it's my first post here , I'm curious regarding the legality of shaved door handles in drift competitions. I own an 89 240sx and the drivers side handle is messed up, I could just replace the messed up piece and make it work, but I think that the "shaved" look would be a nice touch to add to the car. I'm just curious if that is allowed. I'm not good enough to drift in any competions yet, but I plan to in the future. I read through the Formula D rule book and didn't see anything about shaving your handles not being allowed, but I know in drag racing it isn't allow (at least in NHRA races).

So thats my concern is that I will shave the handles and go to a competition and not be allowed to run. If anyone knows it would help me out , thanks in advance.

a good rule of thumb

usually i would say that if the rules dont mention it outright you "most of the time" are ok to do it. how ever please be wary it could also be a rule that some tracks may use and some may not. so i would check it out at your local track(s)
    to be certain.

Comment

I dont think anyone would care in the Drift Day Chicago group. I would go on Clubfr.net's forums and ask since you're more likely to particpate in a compeition with DDC than at formula d in the future....

Comment

I know of no specific rule, however keep in mind that if they are unable to remove you from the car in an accident by either the side window or by opening the door they will use other methods.

Comment

Honestly though, how long have you been drifting? If its been less than 2 years I think you're gonna be alright because you probably won't be even thinking of Formula D for a LONG time. Club FR/Drift Day Chicago would probably not even care.

Also consider the fact that almost all circle/dirttrack/Nascar require your doors to welded or chained shut, so all I can tell you is that if someone had to pull you out then you would have to say goodbye to your windows. But then again most situations there would be a good chance your window would gone.

Comment

ive been thinking about shaving my handles as well

Comment

cool thanks for the info guys, yeah I'm no where close to being good enough for formula D it was just the easiest rulebook to find. I've only been drifting total for maybe 4 months (yeah I'm a noob :P). I just wanted to know about that because if I get good enough I wanted to be sure I didn't have to cut the holes back out and put handles in so I could run in a compitition. I figured since lots of the time you see racers drifting with their windows down (so they can wave at the crowd and such), that having no handles wouldn't be a big concern since they could just get you out through the window. Thanks again

Comment

Honestly, i wouldnt shave your handles, if they cant get you out from the window, they will cut your roof off, just remember that

Comment

Originally posted by FireEmblem62
                  Honestly, i wouldnt shave your handles, if they cant get you out from the window, they will cut your roof off, just remember that
                  If your car is damaged to the point where they have to cut your roof off, then I don't think losing the roof is the least of your problems.

Comment

Originally posted by FireEmblem62

dude .. did you quote me in your signature? i remember posting that on a very old old post...but i still believe it! hahaha...but you did spell my name wrong, thanks for the quote though!

Comment

Working...
                    X