X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 280z a drifter?

Ok really quick question?

can you drift good with a 280z? simple question thanx

what can i do to make my baby slide better? LSD is on the way anything else?

I've only heard-no experience. I heard they are not good drifting cars because of the weight ratio and your position within the car. I have a 240Z that i'm currently building for the straights but i'm going to try and drift it! You let us know how it goes! I say anything can be done if you try hard enough. Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by mayler
      I say anything can be done if you try hard enough. Good Luck.
      bam!!! good answer!!!

just work wit the suspension and try to reduce some weight. That should get u sliding. From there its all on u and skills man...

Comment

280z's are tempermental when they get sideways, meaning they like to snap back and fishtail, or just send you into a spin. This is because of the soft suspension, open differential, weird weight distribution, and a throttle linkage which is less than smooth.

Getting an LSD would help, but just getting another open diff and having it welded is cheaper, especially because it only takes like 20 minutes to drop the diff in the first place. Practice is the main thing.

280Z's are already light enough, just about the same as a 240sx

Comment

Keep us informed as to what you do to your Z and how you do on those drifts.

Comment

On a somewhat related note, I have and could easily drift my 280ZX 2+2s [yes, I own 2 ]. That was with stock suspension [blown rear shocks, on one], a slight misfire, and an open diff. Not to mention my 2+2s are longer and heavier than your 280Z by FAR.

Z's are excellent cars to work with, but like every other car, they take a bit of finesse and skill to drive aideways. It's different between different cars - like, how I learned to drift in a '79 Rx7, with snow tires and an open diff ... the skills I acquired won't necessarily mesh with the way I need to or want to drive my current Zs. Same goes between my Zs, and my current '86 Rx7 - they act completely differently when provoked to slide.

My best advice is to get out there in ANY car, and learn to get familiar with how different cars act. You'll be able to more easily control your car, and you skills will be widened to different characteristics.

-Dave-O

Comment

http://www.davescholz.com/public/davey.html

Comment

its hard to control during a drift.

Comment

Dave's a cool guy, but he has a thing for Alfa's, hehe. His Z is awesome though, so are his buddy's Z's. He said basically what I did above about the old Z being pretty light with poor weight distribution. The old Z was basically meant to be a track car. The heavier weight of the 280z will help with mid-slide stability somewhat.

Comment

Check out Airj0ckey on www.DGTrials.com 's forum. He drifts a 260Z. No one knows them better.

J Gandy

Comment

Working...
                    X