So I finally bought me a car...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I finally bought me a car...

I bought my first car a month or two ago.

Unfortunately, I had to rebuild the engine from the get-go, and I haven't finished yet... so I haven't actually been able to drive it yet!

It's an '89 RX-7 GTU (base model)... I bought it in fairly good condition for 400 dollars

The last owner only bought the car about three months ago (for more than three times what I paid for it), and the engine overheated due to a bad heater hose (I know it was a bad coolant hose, but I assume heater hose, since they're both new). It didn't run when I got it, but I got it running (with a rough idle and LOTS of coolant smoke out the exhaust) before I pulled the engine, although I didn't get to drive it since my parents wouldn't let me without a tag and insurance (have the tag now, but the engine is in my garage...). I did also have to pay about 250 bucks for my cousin to tow it down here (gas, dolly rental, insurance, and paying him).

The engine is rebuilt (THAT was a pain...), and I just have to put a few more things back on before I'll be able to take it on the road... but not until I can find a ride home from college some weekend. So far I've been able to work on it one weekend since school started (MLK day weekend) but I managed to find my oil pump key AFTER I'd already put 95% of the engine together... so I had to go back and take the front cover off and install the key that I THOUGHT I already installed. Oh well, no big loss, although I didn't get the engine back in the car yet.

I need to get a new brake MC since it leaks, and I took the old one off, but haven't bought a new one I can use yet (I bought one without a resevoir, and I don't feel like having to switch the old one over, so I'm gonna get one with the resevoir). I also need to get a new outer and middle shift boot (middle is actually three pieces), since they're all torn up. It'll also need new bushings (they're rotten and falling apart), and probably new shocks and springs.

I'm hoping I'll be able to leave some tire marks in a big parking lot somewhere soon

(but more importantly, start learning about grip driving...)

I do know that the clutch, first gear, and reverse work, at least...

PICTURES! http://photobucket.com/albums/c337/Busted7/

So far my only "mod" is painting the rear badges black It's got two Magnaflow mufflers and a resonated downpipe (yes, NA's can have downpipes too :P) that replaces the pre-cat. Not to mention about 400 dollars worth of stereo equipment... It's also missing a few parts... but nothing vital.
Working...
X