got a budget but no idea of what car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• got a budget but no idea of what car

I got a maximum budget of 8000 and want a good, reliable drifter but also something that will look great as a show car. I like the 95 civic but heard it is a sucky drifter. please give me an idea of a nice, beautiful drifter that is under 4000. i would love it if it was a reliable, good mpg, highly upgradeable, good power. Just a great car for looks and performance. please give me your opinion.

ANy info would be great, what car do you have, how do you like it, what upgrades do you have installed in it.
    Last edited by dafinboy; 10-07-2006, 03:08 PM. Reason: extra info

Originally posted by dafinboy View Post
    I got a maximum budget of 8000 and want a good, reliable drifter but also something that will look great as a show car. I like the 95 civic but heard it is a sucky drifter. please give me an idea of a nice, beautiful drifter that is under 4000. i would love it if it was a reliable, good mpg, highly upgradeable, good power. Just a great car for looks and performance. please give me your opinion.
    Ok I'll bite. If you want to learn how to slide I would recomend you spend about 2 grand on a s13 and put the rest in the bank. You don't want a fwd car so your civics and hondas in general are out of the question. Learn the basics of driving and how the car reacts when you do diffrent things. Once you actually have some driving under you belt and you have participated in some practices and/or events. Start modifying the s13.

Comment

Are you looking to do some work on it? Than a great car in your budget would be a Nissan 240sx S13 (91'-93' preffered years). Spend no more than $2800

I swap the engine and the suspension, start with some good coilovers which should run you up about a grand. Swap the engine, which will be around $2800 after labor. Get a good intake, headers, boost controller, gauges, exhaust - $1600 while you do the swap, it will be easier to install the headers. Intercooler will be about $350. These are pretty standard prices, you should be able to get it all for less than these if you hunt (ebay, used, trades, etc.) which will leave you for some good money for a LSD (which is necessary, dont cut this), get a good quality 2way either new or used.

Happy drifting for $8000 =)

Comment

1. Buy S13
        2. Buy Tomei/Kaaz LSD
        3. Buy coilovers (lots of goods one around, just ask)
        4. Buy good seat.
        5. Go to local drift event and practice practice practice!

I wouldn't worry about the engine work. If you want to wait to get the work done then go for it. If you want to start driving ASAP save it for later.

Comment

1. Buy cheap used RWD car (S13, AE86, ect.)
          2. Buy 2-way LSD (Kaaz, Tomei, Nismo, whatever works)
          3. Buy Coilovers (needs adjustablility)
          4. Buy MANY sets of cheap tires and junkyard rims(you'll need these for practice sessions)
          5. Find a local meet and burn all sets in your possesion EXCEPT the original ones (you gotta get home somehow...)

Good condition AE86s should go for no more than 2k, S13s for no more than 4.5k... if they ask for more they are wrong

Comment

Originally posted by 8 fo style View Post
            Good condition AE86s should go for no more than 2k
            LOL SHOULD.

Comment

buy any dohc ka s-chassis car, work on suspension only no motor mods, save maybe intake and exhaust but thats just for sound. Learn to drive with the ka and when you can compete with the pro's with the ka and the car is holding you back then swap the motor, suspension should be fully built and seat/harness before you even think about getting an sr. You will learn 100 times quicker than the guy that started at the same time and went straight to sr. He may look better now but in the end you will have a lot more skillz.

Comment

how much can one pick up a s chassis shell in MN usa anyhow?

Comment

Working...
                X