Need help from so cal drifters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help from so cal drifters

im just getting into drifting, coming from road racing and am ditching my current ride (1975 Porsche 914 pos) im looking to get into something new. i know a few cars im interested in and my upgrade path but need alittle help. no matter what car i get its getting modded especially the motor so its no longer going to pass smog. what are some good places to get a smog certificate i dont mind paying a few extra bucks. also we all know cali has some lame *Censored**Censored**Censored* smog laws and threats to enforce them. have any of you ever been pulled over and sent to an inspector for engine mods or even more so swaps. cause i wouldnt mind building s13 out of an early 90's 240sx but it will be my daily ride and i dont need my ride impounded after i dump 4-5 g's in it. could use any advice on the whole smog situation. thanks
    Last edited by modpr2; 10-08-2006, 01:58 PM.

Just try and build the engine as clean as possible. Use a good ECU tune, catalytic converters, etc. Just keep the setup as clean burning as possible. This will reduce the capable HP by a small amount, but when done right, you shouldn't be that far off from max available anyways.

If all else fails, move.

Comment

Originally posted by Drift For Food View Post
      Just try and build the engine as clean as possible. Use a good ECU tune, catalytic converters, etc. Just keep the setup as clean burning as possible. This will reduce the capable HP by a small amount, but when done right, you shouldn't be that far off from max available anyways.

If all else fails, move.
      Problem is even a carefully built sr will never pass visual so you just take a chance or just run the ka. If you are just starting in drifting you should be able to drive the ka for 1-2yrs before you are good enough to be held back by it. I drove a stock ka s14 for 2yrs. qualified for formula d license last season and have done well in many comps with the car. Power is not necessary. Suspensions and lsd, good suspension setup will allow you to carry enough corner speed you dont need power.

Comment

Here I go again! =)

Go with a 89-91 TURBO II RX-7.

They got plenty of power to drift and all come with VLSD.you can get a Clutch type LSD from 86-88 FC's..Add a few more discs and there is your higher lock ramp.Get a nice set of coilovers and your ready..I have seen street legal smog and visual passing fc's hitting 260+rwhp.Thats plenty to learn/drift with.
        Also there in the same price rance and offer more performance out the box.They are a little harder to drift since these cars require you to go faster since they GRIP better compared to s13's.

KA = 160 hp i think??!!?
        13BT = 200hp S5
        Last edited by JunpoweR; 12-07-2006, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Hello BRAINFOOD is correct if your looking into S-chassis,do your suspension stuff first & leave the motor alone, Do as many events as the pocket will allow. In the begining you just want a car that is 100% reliable so that you can maximize seat time IMO. PEACE OR start with a true performance car

Comment

Working...
          X