Hi hi my name is bheiman, from boring omaha nebraska

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi hi my name is bheiman, from boring omaha nebraska

i started out in a gravel parking lot, then to snow, then rain, then dry, over the last 4 years ive dont A TON of dumb stuff, which somewhere early this year i started focusing only on real drifting and learning how its really done.
    i have a 1993 rx7 R1

I can do pretty easily power over drifts and ebrake(lol), clutch kick, shift lock, feint, and whatnot. I can even do these at mid rate speeds in turns. Im not very good at them in my FD3S rx7, it just has to much power vs it not wanting to lose traction. Im a lot better in a friends fc, and 240sx in stock form. Ive learned last year finese is much more importain than power.
    I need to work on my throttle control

Ive been trying to learn brake drifts and increasing my ability to do it in sharper, narrower turns, and turns that are at higher speeds and not as forgiving.

I watched that drift bible and im glad i did because i know at least ive been going in the right direction, am working on trying to fill in the holes... and i really liked the whole dynamic drifting that the guys (the drift king or whatever) talked about.

the worst thing is, for me i have a hard time with getting the heel toe down. i cant get my foot to turn in right to do it. (i drive an fd and i am 6'7)
    so im not a beginner by any means, but i dont consider myself to be any good at all either.

I honestly dont want a car with a lot of power, i do want to get a fc, or s13, but i dont know if its going to happen.
    My fd isnt going to be drifting anytime soon, its going to have around 400 hp on low boost and 600 on high boost (maybe even more depending on if i start to get crazy)and i have a 3 year plan for it really and i kinda am trying to grow into where the car will be.

Honestly, i think im going to build a fox body mustang for drifting. Dont get all anal about it, i got the mustang really cheap.
    I dont even want that much power. Actually, im thinking of creating a boss 302 clone
    the boss 302 was stock redlined to 6500 rpms with 260 hp, but form 6500-8000 can make close to 400.
    but i want to use a 289 or 262 crank making the engine rap out at around 8000-8500, but i want to boost it also...
    i only want around 250 whp, but want the potential for more if i decide to succumb to drag racing.
    I am working on some ideas for switching the fox to a rear IRS design taken from a 89-97 ford thunderbird.
    The chassis sat in a corn field for 6 years, so its rusty (but not to bad) but might as well put in a good roll cage and gut it to around 2400 lbs. and with lightening the engine, replacing the stock dash, and some other things, it should be around 50/50 wieght.

well i hope to have fun around here

thanks
    -Bryan

Whats up

I live in lincoln and just started building my 87 TII and i have seen you car in lincoln its sick man nice ride

Comment

yea i live in omaha too ive been drifting for a little over a year

Comment

I also live in Omaha, but can only dream of drifting. *sigh*

Comment

good luck with the projects. I've seen a few vids of fox bodies drifting. they look good.
          240sx is the car anyone can drift, but with your skill you could really tear it up.
          There is a guy that drifts here in utah that was in a corolla for a few years, then he bought a 240sx a week and a half ago, and it was amazing the difference. He was running through our entire track without breaking drift, whereas the low power of the 86 made that almost impossible to do for him.

Rx7's are awesome, but I couldn't deal with anymore older used cars, so I'm sitting in a miata. Good stuff, but like the 86, it needs more power to really do much. 140bhp (around 110-120whp) just isn't cutting it on the higher speed drifts. I can do braking, clutch kick, and e-brake drifts pretty good in it though on the lower speed corners.

250hp I think is probably the best set of numbers though. like you said, over that is just a little too much. and i think under about 170hp is too little.

Comment

RX7s are fun cars. I've driven and ridden in a couple but never got to push one. I wouldn't mind owning one at some point. The hard part is power. I've ridden in stock and mildly modified first gens and neither really provided a lot of power. This unfortunately (or fortunately) means that you have to be smart with suspension setup. Low power = neutral setup. The car should be able to rotate well by itself without the need off added throttle. You want it set up where you don't have to fight the car to make it move around. This may take some trial and error and a few setups to be happy. With some understeer, you have to be a bit more violent with the car to get things moving and sliding. A good setup should make this all very easy, even off low power.

I'm glad you picked up on the idea of finesse. That is an important aspect of good driving. Actions should be just enough to get results, not wild actions. You start with heavy actions to get the car moving around. As you get better, you can tighten down these actions to inputs that just barely induce a drift, a light flick here, a quick tap of the brakes there, just enough feint to get it to start rotating. This is something to focus on and progress towards fine tuning your actions.

The heel-toe is kind of dependent on the physical layout of the pedals. Some cars just aren't set up well, a few even basically impossible without physically modifying the pedals. Also understand that you are not technically using just the heel and toe. For me, I keep the ball of my foot on the edge of the brake and blip the gas with the side of my foot. Whatever geometry works to get it done is what you do. There isn't an exact technique to this as the people and pedals all vary. You just do what works.

Comment

Working...
            X