Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here and new car?

Hello!
    I've had my license for about a year now and I've been drifting my FWD car (Ford Focus) for about half that time. I've learned that it's a lot harder to drift in FWD than RWD cars. Now that I'm getting a new car, I need some help. What is the best brand new car (2007 or 2008) drifting car that I can get for around $20K. I know there is the MX-5, but I'm not so comfortable drifting in a open top car without a roll cage (not to mention that Miata's have the worst roll over rating).

Now if there isn't any good brand new cars for around $20 grand, I will end up getting a 350Z or RX-8 with the money.

BTW, is there anyone here that street races around Philly, PA?

I would go with a used 350z if i were you, but i have heard of a rwd kit some were on the internet.

Comment

miatas have a bad rollover rating? since when? those things are planted to the ground. well either way i wouldn't want a new car for drifting especially since it sounds like you are not very experienced. If i were to buy a car right now though i would go out and buy a pontiac gto/holden monaro, the car is loads of fun and has great power and with it not selling very well for pontiac they're very cheap at this point too. Again though i would not buy a new car for drifting, buy a cheap civic for a daily driver or something then buy some 240 and just practice with that.

Comment

Good point about getting a 240 or a civic before you spend a lot of money on a z, I'd go with a 89-94 240sx, its a nice car with a lot of parts for it. practice up, get good at drifting save up some money and work from there.

Comment

20K?

10k= reliable daily

~3K= 240sx in reasonable condition

7k = LSD, Bucket seat, and pay for your first year of drifting, crashing, and breaking stuff. No other upgrades, at least not until you're ready.

Buying a used 20k 350z for someone with a year of driving experience who's into street racing and wants to learn to drift is the worst idea ever, imho.

Comment

Working...
          X