X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Car!!! ever

Hey everybody, I am now 16, just got my license :P
    yay!
    well, my dad says that he will pay for my first car.
    on one condition though... it has to be brand new and under 20k and automatic...
    well, what really sucks is that all the cars on the current production cars
    are all ffs (unless ur budget is into the stratosphere).
    but the good news is that toyota is reviving the trueno!!!
    Well, I think it'll be a very nice car (under a ton, under 4m long!!)
    besides while i wait
    what do you guys think?
    or should i look into another car

btw, i drive a es300 ff auto 4 daily driver sucks...

All things considered, it sounds like you're planning on drifting this thing when you get it. Am I right?

Tip #1) Never race/drift your daily driver. If something breaks, blows up or you do something stupid and wrap it around a pole, you have no way to get to school/work the next day.

Tip #2) Get a couple years of experience behind the wheel before you start worrying about fast/nice cars. In reality, all you really need now is something that is cheap to insure, reliable and gets good gas mileage.

That being said, it may be a couple years until that new AE-86 comes out. You're better off making a trip down to the Scion dealership and getting yourself a tC. Under 20,000, Automatic, and pretty good looking cars to boot.

Comment

Dont drift your daily unless you have a backup car/bike. A few I would recomend:

any scion
      mini cooper (non S)
      Mitsubishi Lancer (the new one)
      chevy HHR
      chevy cobalt (non SS)
      mazda 5
      mazda 3
      Hyundai Tiburon
      pontiac G6
      pontiac G5
      ford focus
      any Suzuki
      all civics but hybrid and si
      (This list doesn't include trucks)

Comment

you got a link for that trueno revival? sounds pretty righteous.

Comment

Suzuki SX4, FTW. And make sure you get a Manual, tell your dad to cram an auto.

Comment

Well, I am looking at a wrangler or smart (fortwo)...

Comment

As long as you swap a suzuki gsx-r motor in the fortwo then we'll be straight.

Comment

I'm not sure why your dad would force you into a automatic but it's your first car, take what you can get right?

If it has to be new, a good choice would be the Toyota Yaris. They're cheap, reliable, somewhat sporty and IMO the look pretty good for a little city car.

If you're in the U.S. I don't recommend getting a smart. The problem is the company doesn't really have a strong base in the US and if any parts go bad or something, it'll be a pain to get parts. Where going with any of the top maufacturers will be a huge plus in that dept.

Ah, and the Trueno revival is only a rumor BTW. It's been stated many times that Toyota has no need to do this. It could be one of many rumors that Toyota is trying to keep hush hush, I.E. new supra, new MR2 ect., but I personally don't see it happening any time soon.

Comment

yay, i actually found a stock but crappy, ripped up toyota gts
                  it's my friend's fortunately he has no clue what drifting is
                  i'm getting it fo $350
                  it kinda looks like this, a little curvy.
                  except red and covered with mud and pine sap
                  idunno the diff between a trueno and levin besides the headlight
                  can u guys help?

isn't the 86 supposed to be edgy?

Comment

Hey, i recently found a toyota gts around my neighborhood and turns out it was my friend's(well... his dad's) and talked to his parents about buying it. It it's red and craped out & looks kinda rounded though...

just imagin the box art with grime and sap all over it and stock toyota rims.
                    i checked it out and the engine bay looks ok
                    i'll get some pics up asap the dad is considering around $500
                    idunno seems like a good deal
                    i can't tell if it's a trueno or levin
                    i heard that you can't tell by the body style because it can either have
                    solid lights and be an 86 or popup's and be 85's and any other combo
                    can you guys help?
                    and also what should i check befor i actually buy it?

Comment

Hey, i recently found a toyota gts around my neighborhood and turns out it was my friend's(well... his dad's) and talked to his parents about buying it. It it's red and craped out & looks kinda rounded though...

just imagin the box art with grime and sap all over it and stock toyota rims.
                      i checked it out and the engine bay looks ok
                      i'll get some pics up asap the dad is considering around $500
                      idunno seems like a good deal
                      i can't tell if it's a trueno or levin
                      i heard that you can't tell by the body style because it can either have
                      solid lights and be an 86 or popup's and be 85's and any other combo
                      can you guys help?
                      and also what should i check befor i actually buy it?

Comment

You are pretty much going with the Scion Tc, if you decide you want a AE86. If you have no choice on getting a new car or an old car. I would just go with the Tc and if your dad decides that you can get an older car, you should more choices.

Comment

hey

actually it turns out to be a 83 celica very similar to an 86 but heavier and more power so aproxematly the same potential but I think i am right now happy with my daily es

Comment

Okay, first I recommend doing some reading before you do much with the car.
                            I was going to ask you what GTS 'cause toyota made 3 or 4 cars with that badge.

Since it's a Celica there are some good and bad things to know.
                            First the motor is a 22R, it could be the RLE but I doubt it, I don't think the RLE came out 'till '85. This may mean nothing to you but it's both a good and bad thing for you.
                            First power. This motor will be carbureted. It'll have more power than the Corolla SR5 (lower model USDM AE86) but not as much as the Corolla GTS (Upper model AE86).
                            The 4AGE (Corolla GTS) stock can produce around 110-115 break horse power (at the crank not the wheels) where the 22R will give you any where from 90-100bhp. Now the 22R has quite a bit more torque though.
                            Now the motor in the Celica has one of the most reliable and durable engines ever made. The only motor on the planet that might be able to take more abuse than the 22R is the 3TC out of the early '80's corollas.

The Celica also has quite a bit less aftermarket parts made for it. Because of the popularity of the corolla there are countless amounts of parts made for it. The performance parts are even growing for the SR5.

Being as this is you're first car I would focus on making it reliable and keep it somewhat stock. I wouldn't even worry about trying to learn to drift 'till you've been driving a few years.

You also need to learn a few things about the corolla too.
                            First the AE86 model came to the US initially in 1984 only as the SR5 model. Then in '85 the GTS was released. In years '86-'87 they changed trim mainly updating things like lights and bumpers but also changed a few minor engine components. The only model of the corolla we got in the US is what you know as the Trueno.
                            The reason why we only got the popups is the same reason why the S13 in the US only got the popups, Safety laws. The us deemed the light specs on the JDM brick head lamps too low to the ground to be clearly seen. If you ever see a levin in the US 99% chance they used a body kit or 1% chance it's an import from Europe or Japan.
                            If you want to learn more about the corolla do some searching, check out a few forums like club4ag or club4ac. You can also get some decent info off wikipedia too.

Comment

update

I talked it over w/ the dad. he is giving it to me for 75-100 so i can practically crack open a piggy bank and there i have it!

Well, the trueno-rumero is confrimed it's on mags and every thing (both us&jap) in the road& track latest issue

and i am getting a sx4 suzuki tight little mofo, it's 4wd and a compact at 16k
                              easily limbo under 20k (evo rip off) i'd be a tight touge car (i live on mercer island so don't flame me for using the word touge in association w/ racing)

Comment

Working...
                              X