So, im getting an AE86, any advice???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, im getting an AE86, any advice???

Because im EXTREMELY new to drifting, and i know nothing about car parts AT ALL, literally 0% can someone help me out by like telling me wat all this lingo means that im seeing everywhere? Like sway bars, and oversteer and stuff like that???
    -THANK YUUUU!

There's a lot of terminology thrown around, so I'm just going to answer the ones you ask about.

Sway bars - The sway bar is a suspenion piece that connects the left and right shocks/springs. What this does is keep the the car from getting too much body roll (leaning to one side in a turn), keeping weight evenly distributed from side to side in a turn and maintaining traction. I've heard that the Corolla guys actually take theirs off a lot of the time . . .

Understeer - There's a more technical way to say this, but I'll make it easy. This is when the car is turning less than the amount of steering being applied. This happens a lot in the rain/snow when someone slams on the brakes, turns the wheel, but still goes in a straight line.

Oversteer - The opposite of understeer, drifting would not exist with out it. This is when the car turns more than the amount of steering being applied. The back tires lose traction and slide to the outside. Drifting is simply controlled oversteer.

Countersteer - Turning the wheel to the opposite direction of the cars oversteer in order to control the drift or bring the car back into a straight line. Remember that scene in Cars when Lightning McQueen was learning to turn on dirt?

Comment

Working...
    X