The "Will a <Insert Car> Work?" Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Will a <Insert Car> Work?" Thread

I haven't been on these forums all that long, but it seems like 90% of the threads in this section center around "Will my Civic/Talon/Fiero/Miata/Tiburon/Jeep/S-10/El Camino/Volkswagen be a good drift car?"

So, I'm just going to throw this up as a "Rule of Thumb" thread . . .

----------------
    Rule of thumb #1 - Do not drift your daily driver! I know that there are a lot of people who do, and that's really their deal. Here's why I say this. Let's say you're out practicing, or at a competition (I'm assuming that you're not drifting on the streets, it's illegal, dangerous to you and those around you, and the sport does not need the stigma) and you miss a turn, blow a tire or someone else does one of these things and you end up backing your car into a wall. How will you get home that night? How will you get to school or work on Monday? Do yourself a favor, save up for a few weeks and spend a few thousand dollars on a second car just for the purpose of drifting.

-----------------
    Rule of Thumb #2 - There are four things you need to look for when finding a good starter car.
    - 1) It should be Front Engine/Rear Wheel Drive - This set-up is the most drift friendly at both the beginner and professional level. Sure, you can drift a FF, MR or AWD car, but it's not really the best way to do it. Here is an extensive list of RWD cars (offsite): RWD Cars
    - 2) It should be CHEAP - Yeah, drifting a 350Z/4th Gen Supra/Viper is cool, but even at a professional level, there's usually at least one person at every event who balls up their car. Save the expensive and stylish rides for when you're less likely to destroy it. If the idea of destroying it scares you, it will keep you from learning as quickly as you would in a beater because you'll be less willing to push limits and try new things.
    - 3) It should have a manual transmission - True, it can be done with an automatic, but you're limiting yourself to certain techniques for adjusting, controlling and initiating your slides.
    - 4) It should have strong aftermarket support and readily available replacement parts - It's kind of hard to get parts for an R33 Skyline on this side of the Pacific, especially if you're a budget racer like most of us. You should be able to go down to any Autozone/Pep Boys and get any part you need to keep your car functioning properly.

-----------------
    Rule of Thumb #3 - Stick with what you know. If you're a born and raised Chevy guy and know Chevy small blocks inside and out, then why not start with a third-gen Camaro or C4 Corvette? If you know Ford's, try a Mustang. If you know BMW's, try an older 3 Series.

240SX's and AE-86 Corolla's are the most popular cars for this sport, but there's no reason to relearn all kinds of new information regarding those specific cars when you already have a knowledge base for your preferred brand. As long as it's cheap, manual, RWD and has good aftermarket support, brand really doesn't matter much.

-----------------

There is no perfect drift car, and technically, it's possible to drift anything with wheels and a steering wheel. But if you follow these rules, you'll save yourself a lot of headache.

Good/Popular Starter Cars

Nissan Silvia/180SX/240SX
    Toyota AE-86 Corolla ('86 and earlier)
    Mazda Miata (Becoming the new "86")
    Mazda FC RX-7
    Ford Mustang (80's Fox Body)
    Third Gen (82-92) Camaro/Firebird (Heavy and flex a lot, but easy to correct)
    *Lexus IS300
    *Nissan 300ZX
    Pre-'89 200sx (Or S12 if you prefer).
    Early 80's 300 series BMW's
    '80-'83 Corolla (TE-83)
    '80-'85 Celica
    *All Supra's from '80 and on (Pricey, but good power)

* Still a little pricey, but if you can find a good deal, go for it.

More than anything, though, a good drift car is one with a smart and safe driver behind the wheel. Don't do stupid things that will get you arrested or endanger the lives/personal property of those around you. All parts should be installed according to the specifications laid out by the manufacturer and the sanctioning organization.

--------------------------

What you don't need/don't need - "Keyboard drivers" will often give you a long list of thing you need to have in order to drift. While some of these are correct, most often these people are simply repeating what they've heard from other "keyboard drivers".

What you need - (Thanks to mranlet)
    1 - Fix what's broken (TC Rods, Leaky PS rack, Overheating, Drivetrain layout, auto to 5-speed etc)
    2 - Coilovers
    3 - Racing Seat
    4 - LSD
    5 - Tires, Gas, Maintenence, Practice, repeat

Anything else is just icing on the cake.

You DON'T need -
    Lots of power
    Lots of steering angle
    Hydraulic Ebrake
    "Wheel fitment"
    Short shifter
    Drift button
    Harness
    Cage
    Carbon fiber anything
    Last edited by Soldat; 02-27-2008, 08:15 AM.

i just got a 1996 toyota supra is this a good drift car???

Comment

Good thread.

Comment

^^^na i wouldnt drift something like that.there heavy and there worth so much.god forbid you wreak that thing or just break something you'd be paying out the *Censored**Censored**Censored* for parts.

what about a linclon ls?they were 5 speed and a v6. there really the only four door we have except for the cressida...but there a dime in a dozen.

Comment

Originally posted by Soldat View Post
          Good/Popular Starter Cars

Nissan Silvia/180SX/240SX
          Toyota AE-86 Corolla ('86 and earlier)
          Mazda Miata
          Mazda FC RX-7
          Ford Mustang (80's Fox Body)
          Third Gen (82-92) Camaro/Firebird
          Third Gen Supras
          *Lexus IS300
          *Nissan 300ZX

* Still a little pricey, but if you can find a good deal, go for it.
          Some cars that need to be added to the list:
          '80-'83 Corolla (TE-83)
          '80-'85 Celica
          All Supra's from '80 and on (Pricey, but good power)

And I don't recommend the miata as a good learners drift car. The wheel base is short and the weight distrabution is 50/50 making it twichy and a bit spin happy (Trust me I know from experience).

Comment

Originally posted by eomund240 View Post
            '80-'83 Corolla (TE-83)
            '80-'85 Celica

And I don't recommend the miata as a good learners drift car. The wheel base is short and the weight distrabution is 50/50 making it twichy and a bit spin happy (Trust me I know from experience).

Added your cars and a note about the Miata.

Comment

bump for a thread that ought to be stickied.

Comment

What do you guys think about the bmw e30s(84-91)? I'm new to the sport and that's the car i'm looking to kick start my interest with (cheap, built like a tank, after market can be a bit pricey but the is's shouldn't need too much work).

Comment

Originally posted by Krehtan View Post
                  What do you guys think about the bmw e30s(84-91)? I'm new to the sport and that's the car i'm looking to kick start my interest with (cheap, built like a tank, after market can be a bit pricey but the is's shouldn't need too much work).
                  I'm going to add this to the original post, but here's a bit of advice. Stick with what you know. If you're a born and raised Chevy guy and know Chevy small blocks inside and out, then why not start with a third-gen Camaro or C4 Corvette? If you know Ford's, try a Mustang. If you know BMW's, try an older 3 Series.

240SX's and AE-86 Corolla's are the most popular cars for this sport, but there's no reason to relearn all kinds of new information regarding those specific cars when you already have a knowledge base for your preferred brand. As long as it's cheap, manual, RWD and has good aftermarket support, brand really doesn't matter much.

Personally, I drift an '86 Z28 Camaro. I've been driving a '91 RS Camaro since I turned 16 so I'm comfortable with the way they handle, I know their quirks and problems, I like the way they look . . . plus, they handle great and fit all of the other criteria for a good starter car. It made sense for me to drift another Camaro.

If you know BMW's and think the 84-91 E30S would make a good starter car, then go for it.

Comment

I'm going to add this to the original post, but here's a bit of advice. Stick with what you know. If you're a born and raised Chevy guy and know Chevy small blocks inside and out, then why not start with a third-gen Camaro or C4 Corvette? If you know Ford's, try a Mustang. If you know BMW's, try an older 3 Series.

Personally, I drift an '86 Z28 Camaro. I've been driving a '91 RS Camaro since I turned 16 so I'm comfortable with the way they handle, I know their quirks and problems, I like the way they look . . . plus, they handle great and fit all of the other criteria for a good starter car. It made sense for me to drift another Camaro.

If you know BMW's and think the 84-91 E30S would make a good starter car, then go for it.

I didn't even know you drifted an f body. Our numbers are growing.

Comment

Originally posted by soultron View Post
                      I didn't even know you drifted an f body. Our numbers are growing.
                      Yeah, you did. I'm on the ThirdGen.org boards under a different name.

Comment

Yeah, you did. I'm on the ThirdGen.org boards under a different name.
                        Cool!

I would have PM'd you but for some reason I can't hit me up at thirdgen.

Comment

What if someone made a thread "cars for drifting" or something along those lines and list the top 10 15 20 what ever number of cars, but also have the list include generations like this one, rx-7 FC, rx-7 FD, 200sx s13, 200sx s14 ect ect like this post does, then that post gets stickied, cause there are a lot of "what about this car" posts. I myself posted one cause after searching for a while I didn't see supras mentioned anywhere and there is a good deal on an 87 supra in my area.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonidas1331 View Post
                            What if someone made a thread "cars for drifting" or something along those lines and list the top 10 15 20 what ever number of cars, but also have the list include generations like this one, rx-7 FC, rx-7 FD, 200sx s13, 200sx s14 ect ect like this post does, then that post gets stickied, cause there are a lot of "what about this car" posts. I myself posted one cause after searching for a while I didn't see supras mentioned anywhere and there is a good deal on an 87 supra in my area.

So, I take it you didn't see this . . . :

Originally posted by eomund240 View Post
                            '80-'83 Corolla (TE-83)
                            '80-'85 Celica

Comment

or where it was said FR, Cheap, and Manual. If you don't know if a car qualifies, google it. Don't waste everyone's time.

Comment

Working...
                              X