Putting My RX8 Sideways: Drifting Events

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting My RX8 Sideways: Drifting Events

I've been experimenting around with the five disciplines of motorsports: Track, AutoCross, RallyCross, Drag and Drift. I've done Track, Autocross and RallyCross, and given the utter lack of torque that the RX-8 has, making it rather pointless in a drag race, I think it's time for me to give drifting a shot (that and the campus car club hates drifting with a passion for some odd reason, making it hard to get involved).

I have a set of Hankook Ventus-RS2s that are just about bald, and I thought what better way to end their misery?

Anyway, I am curious about the potential damages to my car. I have heard a million and one things can go wrong with my car during drifting, and it's hard on parts (then again, what form of motorsports isn't hard on parts?).

I am also in Indiana, which, to my awareness, has very few drift events. I guess the "scene" just hasn't made it here yet. If anyone has any idea where I can find drift events closeby (I'm willing to travel), it'd be awesome.

Originally posted by dothackRAVE View Post
    I have a set of Hankook Ventus-RS2s that are just about bald, and I thought what better way to end their misery?
    I couldn't agree more! But it's good to use good tires, so you might want to have something fresh up front and kill the rears or bring an extra pair of cheapy used tires so that your car is in good shape for the event... Tires are just as important in drifting as they are in everything else

Anyway, I am curious about the potential damages to my car. I have heard a million and one things can go wrong with my car during drifting, and it's hard on parts (then again, what form of motorsports isn't hard on parts?).
    The same damage you can do in drifting happens in any other form of motorsport. I've found the road course timed driving type events are much more abusive on the car than drifting is. Drifting is a lot more of a tire killer for me than those events are though. Just make sure you watch your gauges, steer clear of overheating and hitting walls (if they even have them at the event), and try to stay off the rev limiter. If there's anything that you're specifically worried about, post up and I'm sure people will help out with some input from experience.

I am also in Indiana, which, to my awareness, has very few drift events. I guess the "scene" just hasn't made it here yet. If anyone has any idea where I can find drift events closeby (I'm willing to travel), it'd be awesome.
    I'm from socal so I can't help you on that, but make sure when you go you ride along with someone that's doing well, and do your best to bring someone that hates it and bring them along too for a ride.. it's always an opinion killer

Good luck!

Comment

Indianapolis had I think 6 small drift events in 07. I havn't heard about 08 yet.

http://www.driftindy.com/forum/YaBB.pl
      Get on there and ask around.
      Edger pretty much knows everything that is goin on or knows who to ask.
      Last edited by Bstone; 12-10-2007, 06:11 AM.

Comment

I've been experimenting around with the five disciplines of motorsports: Track, AutoCross, RallyCross, Drag and Drift. I've done Track, Autocross and RallyCross, and given the utter lack of torque that the RX-8 has, making it rather pointless in a drag race, I think it's time for me to give drifting a shot (that and the campus car club hates drifting with a passion for some odd reason, making it hard to get involved).

You can drift a stock RX8 with ease. Wear? Sometimes on your tranny and diff depending how you drive and change your Oil. Engine wise the N/A Rotary is pretty solid so you wont have trouble there.
        Indiana has 2 big drift Events Drift Indy and Outbrake.
        http://www.driftindy.com/
        http://www.ohiodrifting.com
        http://www.outbrakemotorsports.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bstone View Post
          Indianapolis had I think 6 small drift events in 07. I havn't heard about 08 yet.

http://www.drifting.com/forums
          Get on there and ask around.
          Edger pretty much knows everything that is goin on or knows who to ask.
          did you just link drifting.com on drifting.com

Comment

Hey man, check out www.driftindy.com

We did have some events this past year and more to come in 2008.
            Come over to our boards and get to know some of the guys and girls.
            The so called "scene" is growing a bit, we help each other out and go out to the track and have some fun. Hope you check us out.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Peters View Post
              did you just link drifting.com on drifting.com
              ya. Blonde moment. Thanks Mikey.

Comment

Originally posted by Bstone View Post
                ya. Mikespeed moment. Thanks Mikey.
                made your post more accurate.

Comment

Working...
                X