ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally have enough $$ but still have ??s plz help a noob.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally have enough $$ but still have ??s plz help a noob.

hey guys ive finally been able to save up enough to buy my own car to drift.
    right now im looking at a 1991 300zx and i was wondering if it is okay to use stock, what aftermarket parts are a nesscesity, or what aftermarket parts are recommended.

if you could please help me out that'd be great!

LSD and suspension (springs and shocks or coilovers) are key in such a big car

you picked the spicy mchaggis of drift cars; big, burly n strong

Comment

I really don't know all that much about Nissan's, I'm more of a domestic Guy, but I've heard that the 300ZX can be pretty finicky from a technical standpoint. Some are great and never have any trouble, some are nothing but problems.

Again, just what I've heard.

Comment

haha yeah
        and is it true that a heavier car is easier to control?

Comment

what? no! heavy is bad, heavy means more inertial force, and that means, harder to move... get a perfectly balaced car, since you will need rear end grip just as you need front end grip...

you will need to still grip with the front while drifting around a corner, and you will need rear end weight to allow ur throttle input to reach the ground and propel you in a skid; which then will allow you to initiate a dictionary drift...

Comment

How much are you looking to spend on a car exactly? Cuz there may be better suited cars in your price range.

Comment

around 5k
              what do you think would be better?

Comment

I don't have the experience to recommend one, but someone else may be able to. I would suggest a 240sx from what I've heard though.

Comment

YAY!!! New car blues!!!

Well, dont quote me on it, but I think that the 300zx's already have a 1.5 way LSD, but that might be just the sports model. I think I remember something about bastardizing a 300zx driveline for a 240, as a cheap LSD.

As to weight, they are HEAVY cars alright, weighing in at roughly 2500 kilos, about the same as the Skyline and Supra TT. They CAN be finicky from what I have heard. I really cannot recommend one as a starting drifter car.

A 240, though overdone, is adequate. An 86 is another consideration, only because if you learn on a low power platform like an 86, you can drift practically anything ^_^. You might also look into an MR2. These are pretty sick, and dangerous, since they are easy to initiate but hard to pull out.

On the techy side, if its an MR2, get an NA. Turbos can be harder to learn on, and that car will be difficult enough. Also the MR2 had small turbos, meaning a lot of early boost, but it falls off quickly into the revline. Mid Engine Rear drive is an excellent platform for almost anything, though it is not considered a conventional drift platform.

Despite what some say, there is not perfect drift car, and no perfect starter car. Just some that are easier than others. That being said, if you want a nice easy starter car get a 240SX, preferably the S14 variant, as the S13s tend to understeer (this can be easily corrected with suspension though). The S14 is perhaps one of the easiest out of the box drift cars. 3 series Bimmers are also pretty decent, but generally only a consideration if you live in Europe where they are common as cockroaches.

Another often overlooked car is any of the Skyline FR based platforms. These include the GTS (NON GTS-4 Variants), only an option outside of the USA though.

Comment

YES! get the corolla! light and agile! and i don't think he can get an mr for 5k... even less of a chance with the skyline...

Comment

Originally posted by atlantian View Post
                      YES! get the corolla! light and agile! and i don't think he can get an mr for 5k... even less of a chance with the skyline...
                      If he is in Canada or Europe than a GTS skyline is an easy 5k or less. But in america, no, you are right. As for MRs, yeah, they are too expensive as well I think.

The Corolla is an amazing car, even though it is underpower and understeer friendly at first, once you correct those, it is a dangerous car in the best way ^_^. It is I think the lightest affordable car for him that has an engine capable of being worked to 200 or greater horsepower.

I have heard of well tuned Corollas giving Supras a good run on a road course.

Comment

well, i love the body style(plz question my taste...) so i got a junked up celica gt for 82 and working on an engine rebuild, heard that the 22b is hella strong...

well, skyline for 5000 sounds great but the thing is you want it for the legendary technology... so i guess i would save up for the real gtr instead of the "rip off"

Comment

Originally posted by atlantian View Post
                          well, i love the body style(plz question my taste...) so i got a junked up celica gt for 82 and working on an engine rebuild, heard that the 22b is hella strong...

well, skyline for 5000 sounds great but the thing is you want it for the legendary technology... so i guess i would save up for the real gtr instead of the "rip off"
                          The GTS was not by any means a rip off, it was simply a cheaper version of the same car. Like a Mustang GT versus just the 6 cyl Stang. The FR was also a lot lighter then the 4 wheel. Of course the FRs never got HICAS as I understand, which is too bad. The GTR is of course an amazing car, and a very doable drifter, even in 4wd. But again, not in the states...

I love those older AE86, it personifies all the ugly beauty of 80s hot hatches,

Comment

Originally posted by Amaya View Post
                            The GTS was not by any means a rip off, it was simply a cheaper version of the same car. Like a Mustang GT versus just the 6 cyl Stang. The FR was also a lot lighter then the 4 wheel. Of course the FRs never got HICAS as I understand, which is too bad. The GTR is of course an amazing car, and a very doable drifter, even in 4wd.
                            Many ppl consider a V6 mustang a rip off. So horrible example. It's a muscle car without the muscle. So its just a car....that wants to be a muscle car (ie. rip-off, not to say it doesn't have anything to offer, but still a bad example)

HICAS is bad when drifting. So......No, not "too bad".

The GT-R was never offered in 4WD as I understand it, however it was available in AWD. Yes, there is a difference, I'm not a noob.

AWD cars do not make capable drift platforms, while possible, it is far less than ideal. Why do you think every EVO/Skyline stunt car is converted to FR? AWD cars are AWD for grip, they are by nature, engineered to do exactly opposite what drifting is all about.

Comment

BTW, to the original poster, anything that is FR can be drifted. The S14 was the easiest car to drift that ever came to america. The only reason a person would talk you out of getting any other car that is FR is because:

1) They are a fanboy, and it's what they've been told
                              2) It will take a lot more work in the end for you to be competitive

but as far as recreation, enjoying yourself, and learning the sport goes, anything FR. Enjoy bro!

Comment

Working...
                              X