V4, V6, or V8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by atlantian View Post
    Actually, wankle rotaries are reputed to be "thirsty", low powered, and fragile. It would be better to stick with pistons as they are a more developed technology.

In fact, if you want a lot of noise, get a Porsche 912, they are relatively cheap, and have decent power, make a lot of noise, and is pretty reliable. It is the cheaper cousin of the 911, the 912 has a flat four instead of a flat six.

It may only have around 140 break horse power but it puts down the power very well since it is a rear engined car.
    my engines teacher told us that about wankel engines. they spin so much that the spinning takes up all the power of the engine. he also told us that masda is still working on the rotary engine to get more power from it. we were told that wankel engines have potential for alot of power. they are quick on the take-off because of the rotary engine, but it doesn't keep that speed because of the engine not using pistons. piston engines have more power. you have to do alot of work on a rotary engine for it to keep alot of power all the time. it has to do alot of work to keep power. that and the weight of a rotary put' s it at a disadvantage. the rx-8 is still a beast, just gonna cost an arm and a leg to get it going the way you want it to.

Comment

I was just saying that the rotary engine is in perimitive stages of it's developement. I would consider buying an RX car when Mazda rotary engines hits 40 years old.

The boxer engines are very good engines. They are self balancing so you do not get vibrations as violent or disruptive as a stright engine or a V aligned engine. Boxer engines also have a very center of gravity and are typically mounted very low, enabling excelent handling characteristics. 911's also take off quickly because of the mechanical grip on the rear wheels provided by the chassis.
      Last edited by ; 06-16-2008, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Your teacher sounds like a jackass.

Comment

Originally posted by REpower View Post
          Your teacher sounds like a jackass.
          Actually, we should let him try and reword his response. I want to know why it has more torque then other engines to take off faster, and why a rotary doesn't "keep it's power because it doesn't have pistons".

I tried not to be rude, but here we go:
          It should be the other way around where you have poor initial torque but as you spin the engine faster, the horse power builds up and you would get MORE power. And since you DON'T have pistons, you should be able to spin the engine much smoother and build up more power by spinning FASTER.

Edit:I agree with "alot of people" and "slackers anyway" that said your teacher was a joke.
          Last edited by ; 06-16-2008, 05:36 PM.

Comment

atlantian-

what did i word wrong? what you just said was that the rx-8 is in early stages. that's basically what my old teacher told us. that and that piston engines were better. it was a while ago, so i can't remember everything he was talking about in class, but he told us the comparison of the boxer, wankel, i4, v6, and v8 engines. he said that the pistons were overall better. you would get alot from the wankel, but the engine is still in it's early stages at mazda.

REpower-
            he can't be too stupid if he worked for Mercedes Benz for about 25 years, before he became a teacher there guy.

Comment

Originally posted by CivicGhost99 View Post
              atlantian-

what did i word wrong? what you just said was that the rx-8 is in early stages. that's basically what my old teacher told us. that and that piston engines were better. it was a while ago, so i can't remember everything he was talking about in class, but he told us the comparison of the boxer, wankel, i4, v6, and v8 engines. he said that the pistons were overall better. you would get alot from the wankel, but the engine is still in it's early stages at mazda.

REpower-
              he can't be too stupid if he worked for Mercedes Benz for about 25 years, before he became a teacher there guy.
              That's not what I am refering to, you said exactly what the rotary engine was NOT. It has low initial torque and revs high and stable to produce a decent amount of horse power.
              we were told that wankel engines have potential for alot of power. they are quick on the take-off because of the rotary engine, but it doesn't keep that speed because of the engine not using pistons.
              Can you try to make that explaination more logical? You basically are describing a diesel truck engine that has a lot of torque but can only rev to four thousand revolutions per minute.
              Last edited by ; 06-16-2008, 06:51 PM.

Comment

I took the time to reread the thread in its entirety, and from what I can gather, you are 26 years old, cant spell, still in school, without a job, without a car, without a brain, etc.. You have many other things to be concerned about, before drifting.

Comment

That's not what I am refering to, you said exactly what the rotary engine was NOT. It has low initial torque and revs high and stable to produce a decent amount of horse power.

Can you try to make that explaination more logical? You basically are describing a diesel truck engine that has a lot of torque but can only rev to four thousand revolutions per minute.
                  then i must have gotten it backwards. he must have said it had high end and no torque then. i've been out of school for almost a year now. alot of stuff is kinda fuzzy. a 7:30 in the morning lecture about cars is kinda hard to remember going to school, after getting off of work at 4:00 in the morning, with a 2 hour commute on the bus to school.

Comment

Originally posted by REpower View Post
                    I took the time to reread the thread in its entirety, and from what I can gather, you are 26 years old, cant spell, still in school, without a job, without a car, without a brain, etc.. You have many other things to be concerned about, before drifting.
                    well lucky kid, that had no financial situation to deal with right now, let's start from the beginning. since you read the entire post, and you are sooo leet, you should know that i won't be tryind to build a car strictly for drifting till i'm older. and that i would only be able to afford to have an everyday driver. and FYI pal, i'm trying to make an everyday car that i can go to the track with. so i can find a better job to, OMG, DRIVE TO hopefully in a car that i can drift and say that i had help from (hint, hint) this forum building. and by the way, if you don't have anything helpful to say, don't post on my forum. and please don't tell me how you are soo good and can drift around anything around your way. i'm from newark, you can't show me anything i haven't already seen someone do in a car. i'm on here to learn the right way to drift, not to argue with someone with the idiosyncrasy of a 7 year old, looking for posts to down people on.

Comment

Well, looking back a few pages, people were not so much trying flame you, as trying to help you.

Comment

Well this is my view on the things.
                        I drift a 2000 miata. it produces plenty of power for drifting, and still averages 27 mpg.
                        There is little wrong with the rotary. It doesn't get the same torque output as many piston engines will, but it is an amazing engine that can withstand extreme conditions.
                        The way it works gives you more constant power to the wheels than a piston engine which has a much sharper power torque bar.
                        As well, if you get the right rx7's (i like them better than the rx8's) you have an 8000 rpm redline. So you have excellent power up to 8k, and you don't lose any momentum going into the next gear. With the 160hp na engine in the 1989-91 rx7's you have plenty of power to get the thing sideways. I do suggest doing it with an lsd though. With the 140hp 86-88 models, i fried my clutch trying to drift an open dif. either of those engines has plenty of hp to start drifting in. It's just hard to get the na ones over 200hp. so you get a t2 and you'll be fine.
                        I prefer na engines in drifting, mainly because from what i've seen they are a lot smoother, which is better for beginning drifters as they can focus more on other parts of technique. when you get the technique down, then worrying about how the turbo is going to kick you around won't be too much harder to get down. Take into account that every rwd car will have it's own difficulties, and turbos are usually the most difficult to control.

(note: I accept correction on any of this info, so if you see anything wrong. feel free to help me out. I'm still learning. a lot of info i get from reading, but as well i have info from experience.)

Comment

Are you saying that you get 27 mpg even when you are revving up to the redline?
                          Last edited by ; 06-17-2008, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Well, looking back a few pages, people were not so much trying flame you, as trying to help you.
                            i can take criticism and someone trying to help. i just hate when someone tries to belittle me. this kid gigglesnirt probably doesn't realize how much he's helping me, even though he got on me writting v4 instead or writting i4. just me personally, i don't like usink wikipedia. i'll to the extra work to do research that to use that site for everything.
                            Originally posted by Neo_Drift View Post
                            Well this is my view on the things.
                            I drift a 2000 miata. it produces plenty of power for drifting, and still averages 27 mpg.
                            There is little wrong with the rotary. It doesn't get the same torque output as many piston engines will, but it is an amazing engine that can withstand extreme conditions.
                            The way it works gives you more constant power to the wheels than a piston engine which has a much sharper power torque bar.
                            As well, if you get the right rx7's (i like them better than the rx8's) you have an 8000 rpm redline. So you have excellent power up to 8k, and you don't lose any momentum going into the next gear. With the 160hp na engine in the 1989-91 rx7's you have plenty of power to get the thing sideways. I do suggest doing it with an lsd though. With the 140hp 86-88 models, i fried my clutch trying to drift an open dif. either of those engines has plenty of hp to start drifting in. It's just hard to get the na ones over 200hp. so you get a t2 and you'll be fine.
                            I prefer na engines in drifting, mainly because from what i've seen they are a lot smoother, which is better for beginning drifters as they can focus more on other parts of technique. when you get the technique down, then worrying about how the turbo is going to kick you around won't be too much harder to get down. Take into account that every rwd car will have it's own difficulties, and turbos are usually the most difficult to control.

(note: I accept correction on any of this info, so if you see anything wrong. feel free to help me out. I'm still learning. a lot of info i get from reading, but as well i have info from experience.)
                            rx-7's from the 80's are kinda common around here. i would get one of those, but they are hard to find for sale. anyone that has one is trying to keep it. it's kinda like that in jersey. if you meet someone that has a RWD sportscar from the 80's, they won't get rid of it unless by an act of God, you get the car from a police auction, or they really need the money.
                            Last edited by ; 06-17-2008, 10:44 PM. Reason: i can't type

Comment

Porsches and WRX's are very common here in Washington. There are even old Lotus Esprits.

I might just be living in a rich area. You see Ferrari F430's way too much. I have seen an Enzo and a GT2 parked together in a drive way while I was on my way to school.

I met this Porsche enthusiast and collector whom I met by checking out his Porsche 912. He is a really cool guy and I go talk to him at the local body shop when I have time. I am trying to save up and buy a 911 SC off of him.

Try just talking to random people who have sports cars. You never know, you meet cool people, make new friends, and you might get a chance to buy the sports car off their hands.

Comment

-atlantian

i know. i've been looking on craigslist tryint to work out a deal with people trying to get rid of their old 5-speeds. i found one guy that has a 1987 chevy iroc-z tpi. those cars were hard to find around here in 1987! he told me the dash say 300,000 miles, but the engine was rebuilt. he wants $1,725 for it, but he will let it go for $1,000. if i can get the money up for it, i'm gonna get it. but more than likely, he will sell it before i can get it. he wants to get rid of it so he can put a down payment on a bike. i'm working part-time at advanced auto parts now, i been there for about a month now. i haven't gotten around to quitting my old job and picking up my tools yet. it's gonna be kinda hard getting the money on a part time salary.

Comment

Working...
                                X