s13, FC comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• s13, FC comparison

I'm looking to get my first drift car relatively soon. The cars I am most interested in are the s13 ( with a KA, an SR swap is out of the question for at least 4 years) and an FC (maybe even a turbo).

How much do these cars usually sell for? I have searched for them locally for awhile, but haven't found any.

Also, as far as driving dynamics go, what are the main differences between the two, what are their characteristics?

Thanks in advance.

Okay, I'll start off by saying either car will be good for drifting as a beginer weather its turbo or not. The S13 would be harder to get sideways unless you get a locking differential. Where the FC has a varity of models some with diffs (Series 4 and 5 GXLs) and turbo models. S13's are starting to be rare to find in "good" condition, but you can pick one up for around $1,000. The FC's can be more expencive N/A models are around $1000-$2000 where the turbo models run around $3000+. The S13 and FC's are both light, and relativly easy to get sideways. If you get an S13 it will be cheaper to fix then the FC, unless you find a cheap parts car. My best friend has an S13. He's had it for going on 5 years now, and I have always had a 2nd gen Rx7. I hope I helped you out in your desition.

p.s. Chicks love rotaries...lol.

-Rich

Comment

In the FC, is there a film of motor oil in the housing? Wouldn't it just burn off? is there an oil pan?
      Last edited by DriftAlliance; 01-28-2008, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Also, some people say that KAs suck, how underpowered are they?

Comment

Originally posted by DriftAlliance View Post
          Also, some people say that KAs suck, how underpowered are they?
          they do suck

they're some of the most unfun boring motors around..but they'll get you to drift. If you have the option to spend a few more bucks on a different car go with a twin cam, it does make a difference.

you can drift fine with single or twin cam either way--both probably being much more reliable than an fc would be.

Comment

N/A 13b's are just as reliable as the KA motor. And yes they do have an oil pan. With either car you'll get the same out of. They both in long run will cost just as much as the other.

Comment

Does the N/A FC have the self adjusting suspension too, or is that just the turbo?

How supportive are the stock FC seats?

Is insurance a lot for the FC?

Comment

Originally posted by NHDrifter View Post
                N/A 13b's are just as reliable as the KA motor.
                but why would you choose a chassis based on the motor you're going to want to throw away later anyway?

still voting for s13

if you plan on hitting the track in your car, you might want to go with s13

if you just like FC's a lot, hey, more power to ya. but get a daily.

Comment

S13 is a much better choice. Fc's are cool if you have the money but you will need alot of money to buy links and suspension parts where the s13 is pretty driftable out of the box and then the more money you put into it the better it gets.

Comment

What if I got an s13 and dropped a Ford 5.0. in it when the KA blew?
                    Would it be too nose heavy?

Comment

If you get an S13, I reccomend the following:
                      -Replacement tie rod boots/replacement steering rack/high pressure line
                      -Rear subframe spacers
                      -Fix whatever else is broken
                      -Coilovers/springs&shocks, LSD, TC rods, good clutch, S14 seat/racing seat

If you get an FC, I'd reccomend:
                      -Toe eliminator bushings
                      -Fresh oil change (not synthetic)
                      -Atkins rotary rebuild video (so you know how to work on it)
                      -Coilovers/Turbo II diff, steering wheel spacer

Either way, you can build yourself a nice car for under $3k. Roatries get a bad rep because a lot of guys don't understand how they work and think they break down all the time. My vote goes to the FC becuase they're more of a sports car than the 240, but only if you know how to keep it on the road.

The KA is more than adequate for someone who is buying their first drift car. If it blows up just toss another one in there rather than trying to re-engineer it with a Ford 5.0 and relearn the car.

One factor you havent mentioned - parents will MUCH rather you have a 240 than a rotary

Comment

Originally posted by mranlet View Post
                        If you get an S13, I reccomend the following:
                        -Replacement tie rod boots/replacement steering rack/high pressure line
                        -Rear subframe spacers
                        -Fix whatever else is broken
                        -Coilovers/springs&shocks, LSD, TC rods, good clutch, S14 seat/racing seat

If you get an FC, I'd reccomend:
                        -Toe eliminator bushings
                        -Fresh oil change (not synthetic)
                        -Atkins rotary rebuild video (so you know how to work on it)
                        -Coilovers/Turbo II diff, steering wheel spacer

Either way, you can build yourself a nice car for under $3k. Roatries get a bad rep because a lot of guys don't understand how they work and think they break down all the time. My vote goes to the FC becuase they're more of a sports car than the 240, but only if you know how to keep it on the road.

The KA is more than adequate for someone who is buying their first drift car. If it blows up just toss another one in there rather than trying to re-engineer it with a Ford 5.0 and relearn the car.

One factor you havent mentioned - parents will MUCH rather you have a 240 than a rotary
                        Thanks for the advice man. The parents thing isn't an issue as far as me having too fast of a car. My dads a car guy (he has a '68 Firebird that he used to drive daily) and he even has an interest in drifting. Insurance wise, yeah the 240 would be easier on the wallet.

You really think I could build a decent car for under 3k? Does that include the price of the 240 or is that the seperate price of parts?

Comment

I do think so. I've put together a pretty impressive old Cressida for under $2k, and that's way off the beaten path.

The easiest way to get into something is to buy someone else's drift car (note: NOT someone else's project car). If you decide to take an unmolested car and modify it keep in mind that there's no shame in buying used parts as long as they're safe.

Comment

Yeah, I'll be buying as many used parts, as long as they are in good shape, as possible. Hopefully I'll be able to get a nice set of wheels that way.

And right now I can't afford a used drift car.

Comment

Well, drifting isn't cheap. Perhaps you may want to hold off until your finances change a bit...

Comment

Working...
                              X