89 240sx help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 240sx help

first off this seems like something to post in the tech forum but this said newbie and since i am a newbie here goes also if this has been posted or answered any where on this board plz don't rake me over the coal as i am a newbie. my problem is this i have a 89 240sx with a ka24e and apparently that has a large bearing on what I'm about to ask. i have 2 ideas Ive been throwing around for a few weeks now for a build up for my car. first option turbo the ka24e. now comes the part where ever one screams and runs and calls me stupid. i don't know why there is such a difference between the ka24e and the DE. everyone just tells me there is and say things like poor rod ratio. i want to know poor ratio in aspect to what. i assume they really mean crank stroke is too long. I'm not saying I'm the worlds greatest engine builder but if i were shown the problems I'm sure i can design around them. and everyone telling me i cant is pushing me toward trying. the pros of this option are i have the motor and nothing but time to do this. the cons are i know nothing about this motor and it could get expensive fast. option 2 is a Chevy 350 i also just happen to have and i built this thing to the nines. it was never dynoed but my desktop dyno said 430 hp and 509 lbs torque and id say thats pretty close. and i know this swap can be done because Ive seen videos on the web. my problem comes here they all run fuel injection and auto trans mine is carbed and i want a manual if possible. also will the stock rear end hold that kind of grunt and will i have to re spring the front for the weight and if i do how to figure those rates. i want to re cam the motor for more power but i think maybe the 4x4 cam thats in it would be better for drifting since it gives a big fat broad torque range. pros for this build lots of power, i have the engine, and it maybe cheaper than the other option. cons this could still be pricey, lots of custom building. so here is my thing i want opinions and info on which would be the best option for the power and money and of course fun. sorry to be so long winded on my first post and hope i don't offend any one with the idea of a domestic motor in an import. also if any one knows of any kits for either of these i would appreciate the info. looking forward to the responses. and if you need any more info ill be happy to get it to you asap. thanks all

post some cliff notes it'll be easier to help you

and put some breaks in there!

Comment

The small block Chevy motor in a 240sx has definitely been done before. Typically, though, it's an LS-X Motor that's swapped in.

Hinsonsupercars.com makes LS-X swap kits for RX-7's and 240SX's. I'm sure they can be a helpful resource and will likely carry most of the parts you'll need.

Comment

Alright, I kind of read through that so I'll see what I can make of it....

What will be the primary use of this car? Drag racing? Drifting? Auto-X?
        Drifting and Auto-X don't require gobs of hp, more so a well-tuned supsension (coilovers), limited slip differential (LSD), good tires (for the front at least for drifting ), etc. Having a huge hp motor really won't help you for these events.

However, if you aren't planning on drift/auto-x I would have to say go with the Chevy 350. Why you ask? Well, 350 will probably end up costing you less just because the engines are cheap and you won't have to worry about all the added expense of a high hp turbo 4-cyl setup. For the hp goals you want to accopmlish, a KA-T (especially a SOHC) will require a lot more custom & expensive parts to reach.

However, if you want to do some more research about turboing your stock engine, check out this http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5597.

Good luck and god speed!

Comment

looks like this isn't gonna be cheap or easy either way. the car will mainly be a daily driver/weekend warrior and i plan to drag it once in a while and drift it when ever i find a good place to practice. the large part of the expense in the 350 swap will be new cooling and exhaust. but it may still be cheaper than the resistors and injectors and computer and exhaust for the turbo. still straddling the fence here. thanks for the help though so far its been really helpful.

Comment

Again I have to reiterate that dumping all that money into an engine setup is really not going to help you with drifting. If you really want to get into drifting, use your money on some good coilovers and a diff. You should be good to start learning on that.

I know we all want our cars to do "everything" but unless you have A LOT of money to spend, chances are you won't be able to afford to have a car that can do everything. Especially if this is your daily driver. Can you afford for this vehicle to break down on you if you crash it at a drift event or have a serious mechanical failure at the track?

Comment

actually i have another car i just meant it would still see alot of road time. and my thing about drifting it as is, is that if i learn the car as is than mod the devil out of it then i have to learn it again. to me it would be easier to just learn the car once. and since there IS a drag strip here and there IS NOT a place to drift then it would most likely be a drag car till that changes. i mean around here you i play on a road here and there late at night if the roads clear but you can only go so far that way before you kill some one or get in trouble (very likely here cops are ticket crazy) any ways thanx for the input.

Comment

Trust me...learning to drift with huge power and no suspension and lsd is ALOT harder than the other way around.

And regarding places to drift. Is there any events going on where u live?

Comment

i intend to do the suspension at the same time as the mods. that was the point in askin how to figure the spring rates and all that. and to my knowledge no these no events reasonably close to me the is a drift club but they don't have anywhere to meet and they drive like 200 miles to events and thats just not possibly for me. and trust me i think i can do the high power and no locker if i had to i used to drift a 1979 Pontiac grand prix before i even knew i was drifting, i was just tryin to imitate the local dirt track boy on the road where i grew up.

Comment

Working...
                  X