Picking a car for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picking a car for

Ok i wanna start drifting and was wondering if either one of this cars would be good to get http://newjersey.craigslist.org/car/701767096.html (rx-7)or http://newjersey.craigslist.org/car/708204069.html (240sx)? I kno allrdy that 240's are good for noobs like myself but i kinda want speed which is why i was thinking of the rx-7.
    Last edited by ; 06-10-2008, 06:07 AM.

The rx7 looks good, but for that price I think you're getting jipped. It's an s4 which has the lower power, with a t2 hood and s5 tails. For one, you can probably find a cheaper s4 than that. #2 the slipping clutch alone is going to mean you won't be drifting in that thing until you replace it anyway. Also, I'm probably sure it has only the open dif instead of the lsd. and having tried to drift my old rx7 with an open dif. If you don't have a good clutch you can't do it, and 2 you will go through a good clutch in no time trying.

The basic point is that, though the rx7 is a cool car, this one isn't worth $2500. Probably mroe around the $1500 range. If you want an rx7 to drift, try finding one that has an LSD, that will make your life sooo much easier. (Like a T2 or a GTUs or whatever other models had them. go to rx7club.com and in the 2nd gen section they have a sticky that talks about all the options different rx7's had. look it up.) As well, try to get an s5 rx7 if you do get one. 1989 or newer. They have some 20hp more.

Also the 240sx must be gone cause so is the ad.

Comment

thanks neo

thanks for telling me about that rx-7 almost bought it well anyway was looking at this 240sx http://cnj.craigslist.org/car/703761741.html hopfully this one stays up long enough for ya to look at. but ya ya said 89 or newer for the rx7 was wondering about a nice 89 that i saw to http://newjersey.craigslist.org/car/713442393.html wonder what ya think? oh and thanks for that link to site.

Comment

Dang both of those are really good buys actually. from what it reads anyway.
        I'm wondering if the T2 has a little higher mileage, but it looks as though it's been taken care of. as well the T2 comes with LSD so you wouldn't have to worry about finding one.
        Yeah.
        Good things about the 240sx. It's hard to find one with little to no rust. You already have adjustable coilovers on it, and it's a pretty low mileage motor for those cars. as well, they are very easy to work on if you ever need to do repairs.
        Good things about the T2. As said, it has LSD. As well it is the Turbo. 2 model. (It's kind of wierd having a carbed setup, i've never seen that, but if it works than great.) The car looks good, with a kit and a good set of wheels to go with it. I'd seriously check the mileage on it though before buying it. If It's an original motor, try to drop the price if it has close to or over 150k, because the turbo versions of the motors don't get too much more life out of them than that. If it is a rebuild, ask about the parts used, and to make sure it was done well. Rotary's are good engines if taken care of well, and you will absolutely love the 8k redline, but if it's an old or poorly rebuilt motor, you'll only have trouble.
        All in all, the rx7 will probably be a little more costly for upkeep, but looks like it's much better set up at the moment for drift. which will save you the money and time doing it yourself.
        The 240sx looks good, and you can try drifting it with the open dif. I wouldn't recommend it though. But luckily, 240sx parts are cheap so I'm sure you could find a good used LSD or welded Dif. and you'd be set for drifting.
        It's just you weighing out the good and the bad you see, and making a decision. The truth is both are very good deals. I think the RX7 more than the 240sx, but in the end, the buy decision is up to you.

Comment

Working...
        X