ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Domestic drift cars all hype or do they have a future.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i got some pics of my stang under drifer stang on pics n vids i should get more but you know i think its cool that no one talks too much smack and yeah if anyone is in the New Orleans area email me and maybe we can meet up and find something to do

Comment

Domestic drift cars? There is no such thing. In japan domestic's are nissans, mazdas,etc but theyre imports are ford, chevy,etc. When the 1st person went drifting, i wonder what car he used, since its japan, im gonna think a jdm car. They didnt know what car was best for drifting so they just tested all the car they could out. In america, there are alot of cars that arent even taken to japan, therefor USDM and those car might have hidden potential. if a 150hp trueno can drift, why cant a 1970 Boss Mustang, or GTO watever the year. Americans are still trying to figure out what is the best car that they can use to drift in. This will probally continue for a while and until americans find out what cars are good and built for drifting, than were gonna keep experimenting.

Comment

Originally posted by NismoSigma
        if a 150hp trueno can drift, why cant a 1970 Boss Mustang, or GTO watever the year.
        The only advantage the mustang or the gto has over the trueno in your example is power. which wont help you drift. So its really not a valid example.

Comment

Originally posted by pork_poney
          I can't disagree, and i appreciate the response. I don't mean it should remain jdm as in it should stay in japan. I mean it should stick to it's roots. I have fear of it becoming too heavily american and one day waking up to "ultra super drift destroyers" on comedy central. I like drag racing, and i like what it has become. the way i see it is: america sort of made drag racing what it is, the japanese made it better by bringing some different elements to the table. I believe that if the americans can approach drifting with the same attitude and take it in the same direction, than by all means, i would love to see america become heavily involved. I've yet decide yet though whether or not it would benefit the little guy. I want a 240 and i really like high quality jdm parts. I'm very impressed by names like top secret and jun and the like. I am forced to wonder what effect america's involvement would have on it, and i see it going one of two, or possibly both ways. Either one day i'm going to be able to go to my local shop and score a top secret turbo upgrade and jun surge tank for my future 240 for reasonable prices. OR, i'm gonna go to my local shop and be swarmed with the parts from the "APC Drift Series, designed by.... eh, who cares.... David lee roth" Incase you couldn't tell, i'd rather avoid the latter. I'd be interested in hearing what some of the rest of you think about where the market for such a sport will head with america's involvement.
          pork_poney, you're absolutely right. drag racing is perfect right now.. sport compact or import drag racing is perfect the way it is... just a touch of jdm in some races... F1 is even better too since its european, japanese (with the toyota team and all, etc.), and american, too. If drifting could become this, with euro and american teams joining (almost there) and old school muscle cars doing exhibition runs and maybe even in the contest, drifting would become the perfect sport... but not too much "multinationalism", we dont want NASCAR drift events... anyone agree with me?

Comment

Not sure what you mean?

I'm not sure what you mean by too much "multinationalism". Or that we dont want NASCAR Drift events. Last time I checked there werent too many nations involved in NASCAR, its only a whole bunch of American cars that are build up almost identically driving in a circle. Dont get me wrong it takes a lot of skill kind of boring. No offence, but isnt that where drifting is at now? Everyone is running 240sx's and AE86's, good cars, but like NASCAR its a little boring. The American Domestic cars are going to come in with there own style and spice things up, its just a matter of time(not that the sport has become boring yet, its still new in America). Just my 2 cents.

Lucidstrife

Comment

LOOK

iTS OBVIOUS you guys never saw Smokey and the bandit with burt reynolds, it was the hollywood stunt driver who invented the domestic drift ,japs just copied them and made it better

Comment

No offence, but isnt that where drifting is at now? Everyone is running 240sx's and AE86's, good cars, but like NASCAR its a little boring.
                you must be kidding. if you aren't kidding, i am very disappointed. I've said it before, drifting is an art, not a race. Everyone has their own style and techniques. That's what makes it a heck of a lot more exciting than nascar. In nascar they all have the same goal and they all achieve it the same way. drifting is much more colorful. you have to learn to appreciate each drivers style as if it were any other art. i can cleanly distinguish the classic vibrato drenched licks of a certain carlos santana from the soulful presence of eric clapton. Drifting is the same way in my opinion. i don't know enough drivers or anything to distinguish that well, but there is clear difference there. I hope that in time i can learn to tell drivers from their nuances. I also hope to be able to learn from that, and apply it to my own drift.

Comment

Miss understand

I was originally making a statement about Scirocco's post, I never said drifting was a race, I was just comparing the similarities in drift racing and NASCAR, there aren’t many, but the habit of creating cars that are almost cookie cutter like is one of them in my opinion.

"If drifting could become this, with euro and American teams joining (almost there) and old school muscle cars doing exhibition runs and maybe even in the contest, drifting would become the perfect sport... but not too much "multinationalism", we don’t want NASCAR drift events... anyone agree with me?"

Last time I checked there wasn’t too much Multinationalism in NASCAR. I may have miss understood what he was trying to say. I was also trying to point out the positive side of the American Domestic cars coming into the drift scene. I agree with you drifting is all about style, but I believe that the car is part of your style. It may be easier to drift a 240sx and it may be a good starter car, or even competition car, but everyone has. Everyone gets them, upgrades them in mainly the same way (granted some peoples wallets are heavier so more upgrades go along with that, as well as different level's of skill) does there own thing with the paint to not look like copycats, and do their own style of drifting, which is much like a race car driver with their own style of racing. And then everyone says they are unique and different standing next to their cookie cutter car. Its NASCAR with style. Now I am not saying this is bad, but the American domestic group comes into play and the first reaction is that its different so it must be weird or even wrong. Seems a little weird for a new sport that everyone is trying to be unique in. Now the American domestics are more accepted which is nice but there is still criticism about their style. Why would there be criticism about their style, is it different then Jap drifting? I thought that was the point of drifting was to be wild and different. This is just my opinion.

Lucidstrife

Comment

before smoky

Sprint cars have been running forever, that is closer to the beginning of drifting in the USA.

Lucidstrife

Comment

Touche, lol smokey and the bandit, rofl, same thing with the movie "Speed merchants" were mario andretti drifts a Ferrari through a corner, or the old american GT class with the Shelby Cobra's. They interviewd Carrol Shelby and said that back when he was racing, they called them power slides because instead of turning the car would almost bounce to the corner. LOL so in reality drifting has been around since cars have been around, it just wasnt made popular cause it would slow you down.

Comment

whoa whoa whoa.. i need to brush up on how i say things and how people interpret my posts... i meant to say that i dont want drifting to become as americanized and one-sided as NASCAR... i never said that nascar was multinational, that's why i put the word in quotes... that oughtta clear things up... actually, it seems taht you have already realized this now that i read the rest of your posts.. i totally agree... turns out we were really arguing the same piont... although i dont completely agree in all totality about all drift cars being basically the same, although it does seem so

EDIT: o crap i just realized im the first post on the second page... people aren't gonna like having to switch pages so much... damn

Comment

OK,OK,OK

D1 Nationals are the equivalent to Olympic figuire skating championships artistic and grace full and take to much damn time around those corners!

Comment

Working...
                          X