ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what does a rb26dett make a s14 run in the 1/4 mile?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what does a rb26dett make a s14 run in the 1/4 mile?

title explains the question, because I want to know.....I'm new to this and want to know if that motor will run 12's stock(what I first heard) or 15's(what Im hearing now)....BTW i owned a Civic Si so I am completely new to this.

this isnt a drag racing site and i don't know anything about dragging...well its supposed to be but people talk about the JGTC too....this is a place for drifters and people that aspire to become drifters.
    maybe you should talk something about your civic, look for something about FF Drifting with the seach button
    welcome to the forum, no many people round here like hondas in general but I'll welcome any car as long as it isnt ricey

Comment

Re: what does a rb26dett make a s14 run in the 1/4 mile?

Originally posted by HPDrftr
      title explains the question, because I want to know.....I'm new to this and want to know if that motor will run 12's stock(what I first heard) or 15's(what Im hearing now)....BTW i owned a Civic Si so I am completely new to this.
      whoever said 15s was speaknig out of his *Censored**Censored**Censored* when I have seen SR's with bolt ons (thats 2 less cyl, and .6 less displacement) run a 14.1

with bolt ons, and a lsd, it will be in the mid to high 12s on street tires

Comment

first off if you read my post I said I owned a civic Si, I own a 95 240 and I had a noob tech question cause I had a honda all my life and dont know anything about nissans, but am willing to learn.

i dont know why you think Im tryin to drift a civic but my question was posted becasue I want to learn about all aspects of my s14(which I jsut bought and plan on learning how to drift on) and also drag because of team participation and because I want to do both. I asked this question because I wanted a SR20 but some1 told me about the RB motor, and I wanted to know what the truth was about the 1/4 mile time cause I have heard a couple different stories. If you dont know then plz jsut say that and dont try and make me feel out of place for asking the question....isnt that what the noob forum is for and why it is a forum in the first place, to get knowlwdge and ask the beginner questions.
        Last edited by HPDrftr; 07-14-2004, 09:34 AM.

Comment

some simple info

The RB26dett is a very durable and flexable motor. I have heard you that the stock bottom end can handle up to 1000 hp. After talking with a couple of people that drove skylines in Japan, the most talked about aspect of the performance is how torquey the motor is. Everyone is always suprised by the power. I would totally skip over the SR20 for the RB26, but thats my opinion. The whole 15 second 1/4 mile info you recieved was maybe given to you by someone who couldnt get the car to hook up LOL.

LucidStrife

Comment

Well in all reality for you, an rb26dett in your 240sx is impossible, i think i have seen one maybe, in an s14 in japan. but to try and answer your question, stock it has 280hp, and the engine weighs much more than the ka, i believe. so think if your ka had about 250hp and that should be the area of your et. with a stock rb26. but then you gotta consider how much money it is for one, how much fabrication is involved to get it to work. the transmission would probably be a problem, and the gt-r is 4-wheel drive. it isn't feasable (sp?) so just go with ka-t if you wanna drag the 240. but for drag i would go wth a domestic, they are much easier to get big numbers out of because of the big displacement, and as you would know by searching around a little on this board, they can drift. (wow that was one long run on sentence)

if i was you i would just forget the idea and move on

- peace

ps- all the numbers i used were from memories, didn't look any up, so if i messed it up sorry just correct me, gotta go

Comment

the motor I was talking about is from a skyline gts I may have had the code wrong but I didnt mean a gtr motor. And like I said I want to go drag and drift but I am not solely concerned with drag it is just a question so it can ease the thoughts in my head, for the simple fact that I dont want to be concerned with just drifting, togue, or drag but to be able to do all.

which is the reason I sold my civic(taking a right turn at 65mph and having ur wheel facing the right and going straight for a tree isnt fun). I want to get tho most out of my car and I want to get all the info(from this forum hopfully) that I can to make a good decision on motors.
              Last edited by HPDrftr; 07-14-2004, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Do some research

You should probably do some research before choosing what you wanna do. You could go cheap and upgrade a SR20DET, or for some more money you could make your 240SX the best drifter/drag car out there. Now RB26DETT motors arent cheap just check www.ebaymotors.com some time but if you do some research you can find places that can and have but RB26DETT's in 240's. Check out http://www.mckinneymotorsports.com/swap.php
                They have a couple they have done and they take orders I believe. someone has to make a do it yourself kit of atleast have some info on how to do it. If people sell a kit to put a 350 V8 in a Pontiac Fierro then someone sells a kit for your 240SX. There are some cheaper options as well Mckinney has also done some RB25DET swaps which are cheaper but they motor is still strong and cheaper yet is the RB20DET, so I think its worth looking into.

Lucidstrife

Comment

Yea...

I really don't want to be mean here, but most of us really don't like drag racing... There are some here that do, but if most of these guys are anything like me, we have little to no respect for drag racing.

Most of us consider drag racing a race based on who has more money and not driving skill.

Your engine does not fit most of our budgets, but drifting doesn't require massive amounts of horsepower rather driving skill.

The RB25DETT is a badass motor, but I really don't think it belongs in a S13 or S14... Trust me drifting is cooler than drag racing... Save money and keep with the stock motor then switch to the SR20DET when you got money... Have fun...

Matt.

Comment

Newbie forum = answering questions without giving him flak for asking them.

As for the RB26 in a 240, well all I can say is good luck. The 20 would be alot more feasible. They are not all that hard to put in and a couple companies make engine mounts to do it, my brothers being one of them. But in all actuality, they are not really that fast. Neither are SR swapped cars. You need to mod them to make them faster. My brothers 240 had an RB in it and I flat out buried it with my FD. And I mean BURIED it. No contest. So they are not all that fast at the get go. The modding is where the power is. But then again, you can get about the same power out of either of them. The 26 would be a much faster engine but as someone stated before, the cost to put that in is astronomical and that is on top of the already inflated engine price.

The 25 is becoming more popular but the price is still up there.

If you want to do dragging then do something radical. Stuff a small block V8 in there. Go big, that's what dragging is all about. If you want to slide it, go for an RB20 or SR20. Some people like the RB, most like the SR.

Comment

Good point

The RB26DETT is probably not the best motor for the Job if your looking for a Drift only car, especially if dont wanna add weight to your 240sx. My roots stem from large displacement Domestic motors I totally agree with Ghost for the monster power go with a V-8 but that is just getting rediculous for a drift car aswell. Although if you wanna 240sx that can do both I would definatly think about something in the RB range, probably a RB20DET that would not only function well but it would also add a little exotic touch to your ride. 4 cylinders just dont fair as well on the strip in my opinion, and I am sure you wanna at least smoke your average Mustang. A 6 cylinder of some sort seems to be the best of both worlds. If its just a hobby and you dont wanna pump too much money into it, maybe it would be easier to fall in line behind what works. SR20's do work, just look at how many are out there, everyone is running them so there is alot of help on how to run them, and it doesnt hurt the wallet so bad. I am sure if you ever come to it and get the itch for power that it will cost you about the same amout of money to hop a SR20 to 500hp, as it would to get a RB into the 500hp range aswell. Because face it more power if more fun.

P.S. Very sorry about that I didnt know that we couldnt talk about a multi use vehicle that involved drag racing, i'll try to remember that for the future.

Lucidstrife

Comment

Re: Good point

Originally posted by LucidStrife
                        Very sorry about that I didnt know that we couldnt talk about a multi use vehicle that involved drag racing, i'll try to remember that for the future.

Lucidstrife
                        Pfft, ignore that. Many of us are interested in all sorts of motorsports or drive multi-purpose cars.

Comment

RB is awd, s chassis is not "complient"
                          Anyone that knows how to fabricate would have no problem with it but its time, money, and luck. If you wanna drag with an import, Rotary or Supras are way to go. I cant really see a 240 drag. But if your still interested , visit www.240sxforums.com they got everything there for the 240, they will help you alot!

Comment

Most of us consider drag racing a race based on who has more money and not driving skill.
                            Any form of motor sport involves skill, precise gear shifting for that perfect time arnt as easy as you might think, take your car, take it to a drag strip, and go up against another guy with your same exact car, do you think you would be able to do it with no skill??????

Comment

Just an option

The RB series motor come in RWD and AWD, so its posible to pick up a RB20DET or RB25DET with a RWD transmission and slap it in. You can mate a RB26DETT to a RWD transmission aswell. I am sure this guy isnt going to try to go Pro stock or anything but if he wants a multi purpose car Drag/Drift then the RB motors WILL work. Its just a good reliable exotic upgrade, that is an option for the platform he wants to run in the car he has.

Lucidstrife

Comment

Working...
                              X