Starting age

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting age

Ok, so I found out I won't be able to buy myself a RWD car because the stacked insurance for me and my dads FF car is cheaper than one person assigned to a whole different car. Under 18, it's a mandatory $2,000 every 6 months. So, I'll be waiting till 18. I hope it's not to old to start drifting when I turn 18 (already 16 and am driving). But I guess you guys are gonna say that I the time spent driving before drifting would be valuble towards starting up drifting.

ANWAYS

How old did most of you guys start drifting ?

15. Don't ask.

Comment

18 for me... and i still am 18. ha

as for being too old... that's not possible unless you're one of those old senile guys who can't drive for the life of them...

Comment

just go liability insurance and don't total your car. 800 a year about 1,200 tops

Comment

Comment

You can still get an AWD and not pay much on insurance and either drift the AWD like a man or convert it to RWD only. Alternatively, you might me able to get an MR2 or something if the insurance stipulates "front engine-rear wheel drive" rather than "rear wheel drive". I would doubt that pickup trucks are included in this rule as well, and we've seen that minitrucks make compitent drifters.

Insurance is going to be atrocious of you have an FR and are street drifting under 18 (or under 25 for that matter). If you still want to FF drift you can, and you'll learn a lot of things that will help you for when you start to drive RWD.

Honestly, FF cars are probably the most practical daily drivers but MR, FR and AWD are the most compitent on the drift circuit or track. For someone who just got their license (and I assume is still in high school) waiting to get into drifting really does make sense - you'll be having to work enough hours on top of going to school just to support your car, let alone a high-insurance rate and usually high-gas usage project car like an S13 or AE86 or FC RX-7.

If you are really dying to start drifting you ought to look into limited-mileage insurance for SCCA race cars that are driven to events and such. You could pick up an old A70 Supra for $2k or Mk II Celica Supra P-type (comes with LSD, which may need some rebuilding) for $1500 and essentially have yourself an out-of-the-box drift car. If you had one car that is your daily and another drift/race only car under your dad's name that might get you the best of both worlds, although it will still cost you some money.

BTW - I started at 16 with my AWD and am 21 now.

Comment

Uhhh I'm 14 now and I've made my first drift when I was 13 (il-legal drift... O AND DRIVING! )

Comment

hah, thanks for the input bout insurance. seigou yamamoto was 28 when he started drifting. gives me hope.

Comment

i suck im 17 and just staring out.

Comment

Re: Starting age

Originally posted by s0nny80y
                    Ok, so I found out I won't be able to buy myself a RWD car because the stacked insurance for me and my dads FF car is cheaper than one person assigned to a whole different car. Under 18, it's a mandatory $2,000 every 6 months. So, I'll be waiting till 18. I hope it's not to old to start drifting when I turn 18 (already 16 and am driving). But I guess you guys are gonna say that I the time spent driving before drifting would be valuble towards starting up drifting.

ANWAYS

How old did most of you guys start drifting ?
                    ]

The thing about motorsports is that you're never too old to learn...check out most of the ladies doing autocross 30-40, still racing.

The question should be if you're still into drifting when you're 18, and its not just some fad.

Comment

Insurance shouldn't be that much unless you've gotten a couple speeding tickets or been in an accident. I pay $300 every 6 months with a good student discount. I do know that the level of your insurance depends on the car you drive and how many people you can carry as well. So you might wanna look into that. If you can't do ANYTHING, you should go watch an autocross and ask to be taken for a ride in a car, so you can get a feel for how a vehicle feels on the edge. I'm sure there will be some nice people who can help you out.

BTW, Drifting's only a fad if you make it one, hehe. Goodluck buddy.

Comment

What $2000 mandatory every 6 month's? I'm paying $1400 for being on my moms Sebring, then I'll be paying $1300 when I get my 240 insured (not running so not insured, I was quoted that about five days ago). The price goes down and its a RWD sports car, and I live in Cali and I'm 16. The insurance company I have is AAA, and they screw EVERYONE with there prices.

Are you wanting to put the car and insure it under your name, cause then they will stab you with high prices. Co-register it with your parents and insue it under there plan, and it will be cheaper by a lot. Also, how new of a car are you looking to get? If you get something older like what I have, then liability is all that you need and the prices go down. You could always get a 510 for cheap prices...
                        Last edited by Pacman; 07-27-2004, 04:54 PM.

Comment

i was 12

I was 11 1/2 when I did my first e-brake drift

Comment

i was 20 when is started drifitng, or had just turned 20, and was about 17 when i really started getting into cars, maybe 18 when i starting taking performance seriously.

Comment

18 im 20 now.

Comment

Working...
                              X