Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car and suggestions?

HI,

I am new to drifting and cars mainly.... I am still 14 and am saving for a drifter.....any way i was wondering if a 2000+ eclipse with mods would be a good car? I now alot about basic engines but still need to learn about ecu's and tuning car engines. i am going to read the drifting 101 forum to start any other suggestion would help.

Thanks,
    Chris

Ok, here's your first tip: worry about school before drifting

Comment

Re: car and suggestions?

Originally posted by Raptor5900
      I am new to drifting and cars mainly.... I am still 14 and am saving for a drifter.....any way i was wondering if a 2000+ eclipse with mods would be a good car? I now alot about basic engines but still need to learn about ecu's and tuning car engines. i am going to read the drifting 101 forum to start any other suggestion would help.
      Are you saying that you want a 2000+ Eclipse as a drift car or as a car just to tune?

Eclipses don't make good drift cars.
      Last edited by jaydm180sx; 07-28-2004, 10:06 PM.

Comment

2000+ eclipses are FF (front engine front wheel drive) the first gen and second gen dsm's (diamond star motors) came in FF and FWD (front engine all wheel drive). if you have read anything about drifting FF is much more difficult to drift than FR (front engine rear wheel drive) and FWD requires higher speeds to iniatte drift and more power to keep the car moving. if you really want an eclipse though i would stay away from the 3rd gen cars on accont of they suck. the 1st and 2nd gen cars have pretty much the same engine and drivetrain as the mitsubishi evolution, and have much more aftermarket support.

Comment

worry about school before drifting
          I plan to i just want to drift in my spare time. I did not know that the eclipse was FF. So what would be a good car to start with then?

Comment

So what would be a good car to start with then?
            Anything RWD. All you really need is a rear wheel drive car and an LSD to start out. As you get better you can upgrade the suspension and the engine.
            Do some reasearch on the Nissan 240SX or the Mazda RX-7 just to name a few cars. Find one that suits you best and go for it.
            Good Luck.

Comment

If you really just love the late model eclipses then go for it. Especialy if you just wish to slide casually, but for now just put money away stay in school stay away from the bad things and when you get 16 or 17 start looking. Your best off to make friends with some that has a similar car, so when your old enough you can try driving a few different types.

Honestly though buying the eclipse isnt a bad idea. because its a decent car to learn to just drive on it, after a few years if you really want to get more into drifting well then you can pick up something rear wheel drive.

Comment

Ok i might get the eclipse (it will be when i am 16 or so i am just getting knowlageable now) in the AWD version....I also wanted to try some drag too so that should work. But if some thing different comes along i will check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by LexmarkX73
                  2000+ eclipses are FF (front engine front wheel drive) the first gen and second gen dsm's (diamond star motors) came in FF and FWD (front engine all wheel drive). if you have read anything about drifting FF is much more difficult to drift than FR (front engine rear wheel drive) and FWD requires higher speeds to iniatte drift and more power to keep the car moving. if you really want an eclipse though i would stay away from the 3rd gen cars on accont of they suck. the 1st and 2nd gen cars have pretty much the same engine and drivetrain as the mitsubishi evolution, and have much more aftermarket support.
                  1st and 2nd DSM's are AWD, no? or just the eagle talons?

Comment

I can get a sentra for about the same price as the eclipse (both for 2000+ models) Any way the only problem with the sentra is i cant find half the parts i want for any decent price......so over all
                    I can buy a eclipse for about 11,000 with a bunch of mods (about 6-8k for car) or the sentra (for about 6-8k for the car) but i cant find any mods for it. Anyway i found a few old drive shafts and AWD parts from the old eclipse (could i make a transfer?)

Comment

I can get a sentra for about the same price as the eclipse (both for 2000+ models) Any way the only problem with the sentra is i cant find half the parts i want for any decent price......so over all
                      I can buy a eclipse for about 11,000 with a bunch of mods (about 6-8k for car) or the sentra (for about 6-8k for the car) but i cant find any mods for it. Anyway i found a few old drive shafts and AWD parts from the old eclipse (could i make a transfer?)
                      Well i was under the impression the third gen eclipse has nothing in common mechanically with the earlier two. so probably not.

Comment

Working...
                      X