Is the Miata a Good Drift Car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Miata a Good Drift Car?

Is the miata a good drift car for a noob. I've been wanting to get involved, but my car is an FF. I have a friend selling an older gen Miata, great condition for like 2k. Was thinking that it might be a decent platform. Pretty well balance, FR, light weight. I didn't know how the short wheelbase would effect its ability. Also, if there is anyone in here that drifts a miata, could you explain what would be good upgrades? THanks.

BUY IT! The miata is a great platform to drift in, The suspension on these are great right out of the box. They also have 50/50 weight distibution, some come with a torsen LSD, their lightweight and best of all they are the most fun to drive,plus parts can be found just about anywhere because there are a plethora of em out there. Good upgrades would include ans LSD if it does not have one, Really to drift a miata it needs no upgrading of anything, but i chose to do my suspension/stiffening first. My choice by far would be anything made by Cusco, they make great parts. http://www.jtuned.com/media/photobox...2&box=&shownew
    Last edited by JDM EUNOS; 08-01-2004, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Buy it!!!

Comment

The short wheelbase makes it a bit unstable and easy to spin, but it gives the car great agility.

Comment

everyone seems to think that, personally it's not that bad once you learn to drift in it, its just like any other car I can drift my miata just as well as say my buddies 240. another upgrade i forgot to mention your definetly going to want a roll bar or a roll cage. Its a must for competition or track days.

Comment

1st gen miatas dont come with Torsen lsd

Comment

Torsen started in '94. (The best year BTW )

Comment

yeah the 94's are def. the best and are the most boost friendly because of their lower compression. Hell if you wanted, mazdaspeed sells a 94 spec motor with some mods to it for a little under 1500, not many people know this. Correct me if i'm wrong but i do believe a seldom few 90-93 miatas came with a Torsen rear.

Comment

90-93's Came with optional Vicous, not Torsen

Comment

I just wanted to say i just recieved my adrenaline racing underbody brace, and let me tell you, it is by far one of the best products i have bought in a long time. I just got it bolted up after work, took it out and i was amazed at how much of a difference it made. just driving around some of the backroad twisties the car turned in so flat and smooth it feels like driving a go kart. A must buy for any miata enthusiast.

Comment

Is it the new style ladder brace? My Okuyama one tore off in 20mins, my car is too low

Comment

they are fun

The Miata is nice, I am not sure about the older Gen but the 2003 was fun. My buddy and I went down to the dealer and got a test drive the sales man let us both go so he had to stay at the dealer since its a two seater and all. Big mistake we are so lucky there were no cops because we abused that car, but you know it was fun.

Lucidstrife

Comment

ive writen paragraphs and paragraphs, but im too tired now.. maybe later..

so i just want to say, yes good car period. in all as-specs

fun also, ive owned two and enjoyed them emencly..

one recomendation is get on that is post 94, not just for the reason that it has a large engine displacement 1.8 instead of the 1.6, thats not that big of a deal i belive the 1.6 is just as strong... but they also come with more essential body bracing, and yeah TLSD in some cases.

Thrillz

Comment

Its like a little freakin go-kart on steriods. A nice black 1 will show people that ur not *Censored**Censored**Censored*, lol jk. But seriously ......

Comment

Originally posted by Tuner
                              90-93's Came with optional Vicous, not Torsen
                              thats akward cause i have a LSD, but i can't find a hydraulic line on my pumkin....interesting...isn't it? lol

and as for having a shotwheel base and ect...the Æ86 has a short wheel base as well...the Æ86 and miata are brotherly like....except the miata came with better suspension...

Comment

Working...
                              X