No announcement yet.

HEEL to TOE i NEED help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

double clutching is not needed much in cars now because the timing of the gears is already configured into the ECU, i think.please correct me if im wrong,i just dont really know the words how to say it.but i do know that its not needed.

Comment

Originally posted by fsr
      On modern cars, it's just bs... However, I had a gearbox in my Levin that had straight cut gears and no synchro rings. On the track, I could just slam it in gear. On the street I had to double clutch and rev it back up to get it in gear if I was just cruising.
      Read this...

Comment

when to heel & toe.....

From my perspective of just learning/practicing heel-toe, it seems like there is a lot of good descriptions of what it is and how to do it, but not as many descriptions of WHEN to do it. This opinion is colored by my own experience: I had to go out and practice for a while and then think about it and then read some more about it before I really felt that I was gaining an understanding of why it's so important and when to choose it as a tool to help get through a corner.

For everyday driving, I absolutely do not feel the need to implement heel & toe to get around faster. I only recently began practicing it on regular road corners after having practiced in a safe, deserted, private area. The timing was a bit tricky for me at first and I did embarrass myself by jerking the car around a bit at first. Now, the timing and rev matching isn't perfect, but I'm not going to be royally screwing it up on my daily commute, either.
        Driving the line and accelerating at the apex are currently provide the most benefit & time savings in my daily commute.

However, on a track, where tenths of a second matter, then things like heel & toe, dual-phase braking, and accelerating earlier than the apex will come in handy. That's why I'm practicing heel & toe - to prep for track time.

But, not all corners seem to be right for heel & toe. This is where my inexperience comes into play. I suspect heel & toe is best utilized only on 2nd gear turns following high speed straights. There are some corners on the local track that just don't seem like they'd need it. So, I'm hoping to see some more talk about "when" to do this....

Cheers, eveyone.

Comment

I heel-toe EVERYWHERE. I heel-toe brake for any stop sign. I heel-toe for every turn which needs it, be it from 5th-to-4th, 4th-to-3rd or 3rd-to-2nd. I heel-toe when I'm slowing to pull into a parking space. I heel-toe in traffic. I heel-toe whenever I slow down. It's the only way to get it down pat... you have to do it so often it comes automatically.

Comment

many "permutations" of heel & toe....

Well, having another weekend of thought and practice behind me, I'm starting to see where there are many permutations of heel & toe. That is: there's a different application of throttle in that blip for downshifting in traffic than there is for the setup and execution of a 90 degree turn from higher speeds where I'm skipping more than one gear down.

It feels like I'm learning to drive all over again. I learned how to rev match a long time ago and thought, in my naivite, that "that was it." Yeah, right. It's like there's a least two "flavors" of heel and toe application and each has it's own sub-technique. It's aggravating on one hand, but keeps me occupied and gives me something to do on the other hand. I just get a bit impatient at times and wish I had it down pat yesterday. I'll chill and keep practicing, though.

Comment

Originally posted by GRiDRaceTech
              I heel-toe EVERYWHERE. I heel-toe brake for any stop sign. I heel-toe for every turn which needs it, be it from 5th-to-4th, 4th-to-3rd or 3rd-to-2nd. I heel-toe when I'm slowing to pull into a parking space. I heel-toe in traffic. I heel-toe whenever I slow down. It's the only way to get it down pat... you have to do it so often it comes automatically.
              Words from a wise man. This is how I have done it for a few years now. After a while you don't think about it and just do it because it's smoother.

Comment

Working...
              X