No announcement yet.

2 newbie questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By a purely scientific standpoint, pretty much anything is driftable, even bikes. If you define drifting as simply a controlled slide, anything can be drifted. There are many on this forum that believe that rwd is the only true drift platform. That is their opinion if they don't accept any other platform as driftable. I started on fwd. Even after going to rwd and awd platforms, I still say fwd is driftable...just not so great at it, not necessarily for drift ability but more for speed or the lack there of. Because of the nature of the fwd platform, you are limited in what you can do during a drift. These are two negative aspects of the fwd platform that make most drifters tend to shy away from it. This doesn't mean it's not driftable by any means, it just means you'd probably be quite a bit happier with a rwd platform.

As far ast tires go, you could go through a set in an afternoon or a year depending on how much you drift and what surface you drift on. If you get in a high powered rwd car and start burning rubber drifting around a parking lot, you'll get lots of smoke, the sweet aroma of burnt tire, and a bald tire before the sun goes down. For me, I've been staying on the gravel back roads around my house. I get no burnt rubber or plumes of smoke. Frankly, I haven't had a car capable of that yet anyways. Still, I can drift a handful of corners daily and still run a year on a single set of tires, drifting and normal daily driving. Tire wear really comes down to concervation. How long the tire lasts depends on how much you're spinning your tires, how much you're sliding around, and what surface you're running on. For example, sliding on snow and ice has almost no affect on tire wear while sliding around on asphalt tends to melt and burn up a good amount of rubber. You can conserve by limiting tire spin and excess burn up as well as trying to drift only on wet asphalt or even other, more slick surfaces like gravel, snow, or ice. You can also span and shorten the drift interavals out more...more time between corners and minimal in-drift time.

As others have said, use the Search button; it's your friend. Try a variety of key words to get different results. For example, looking for info on the AE86, try that or Toyota Corolla, or even things like "best drift car" or something similar to what has been posted a thousand times already. Also, note this is why many people here become offensive when you ask seemingly normal questions. It's because you're the 10,000th guy that asked that same question already...and you get a rude comment and a point towards the Search button.

Comment

Working...
    X