Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rx-7 question

Hey all,

I am pretty new to this forum but have been reading for a while and really like it alot. anyways, i was wondering about the Rx-7's rotary engine... do you need a port polish for the engine to be reliable, because my friend said he talked to a guy that had a rx-7 and said that he had problems because he didnt have it port polished. I dont know if this is a myth or not. thanks a lot,

Craig

Re: rx-7 question

Originally posted by money+brain=car
    Hey all,

I am pretty new to this forum but have been reading for a while and really like it alot. anyways, i was wondering about the Rx-7's rotary engine... do you need a port polish for the engine to be reliable, because my friend said he talked to a guy that had a rx-7 and said that he had problems because he didnt have it port polished. I dont know if this is a myth or not. thanks a lot,

Craig
    Thats a new one to me. The rotary is only as reliable as its owner.

Comment

Wouldnt help much. Rotaries are seen as unreliable because theyre hot engine. And they tend to overheat/use their oil. Often drivers use shitty oil, and dont change it enough (like 2000 miles, not 3000.. and then few do it that often)

Rotaries have lots of seals, in specific oil housing seals, and apex seals. When the oil starts to get over heated, or just runs low and isnt changed often, these seals start to go easily and fast.

Comment

Re: Re: rx-7 question

Originally posted by Raziel
        Thats a new one to me. The rotary is only as reliable as its owner.
        couldnt of said it better myself

Comment

ok thanks,

i saw a little intercooler type thing that is called an oil cooler, and is off to the left of the intercooler. But i did see this on a skyline, so maybe the oil tanks are in a different place. would this cooler remedy that problem in combination with changing the oil often?

Comment

ok thanks,

i saw a little intercooler type thing that is called an oil cooler, and is off to the left of the intercooler. But i did see this on a skyline, so maybe the oil tanks are in a different place. would this cooler remedy that problem in combination with changing the oil often?
            Yah oil coolers are nice to have. The r1s have duel oil coolers on each side on the front of each tire.

I plan to upgrade my single into that. Large duel oil coolers.

Comment

Your friend doesn't know what he's talking about.
              Porting (no one really mentioned "polishing" in terms of rotary engines) increases efficiency of the engine, and it really has nothing to do with reliability.
              Porting on a rotary engine is about the same as doing headwork + cam change in a piston engine.
              I don't think piston engine builders would claim headwork and a new cam would make your engine run longer...?

Comment

first off which year rx7 are you looking at? it sounds like you need to get a 86-88 rx7 non turbo, they are the easiest to work on and will last the longest

Comment

ok,

it could have been a port and seal now that i look into it more... sry for any noob like questions...

Comment

ok,

it could have been a port and seal now that i look into it more... sry for any noob like questions...
                    Hey, don't need to apologize - this is the correct section to be asking that kinda questions, so score one for you.

Comment

the 86-88 Rx7s were known as the S4s. Moreo f the trim levels came with an LSD, also they had less options (power this that etc) and were actually lighter then the later models (the S5s).

On the downside their engines are also slightly weaker (i think the difference is like 10 horsepower though?).

Basicly less power options means more reliable (usually..), lighter means you can handle better to an extent, and since more came with an lsd.. well that simplifies things there as well.

Comment

A porting job on a rotary engine allows for it to "breathe" better. The amount of gas & air entering the engine is greater beacuse a porting tool was used to enlarge the entrance where the air and gas are going in the engine. Also the exhaust ports on the rotor housings are ported to allow more exhaust gases out. Remember beacuse the intake and exhaust ports have been ported and polished the air and gas goes in for a longer duration as well as for the exhaust gases going out. Since rotary engines do not have cams this would be the most effective means to kick the engine performance up a notch (forced induction aside). The bigger the porting job the rougher the idle on engine becomes (and noisier). You may start having reliabilitly problems depending on the size of the porting job. Also it affects the "power band on your car. I hope this clears up a few questions.

Comment

Working...
                        X