Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first post. Like this car?

This is what you do when people make fun of you and your van:

Back in my high school days (a few years ago), people made fun of me and my slow blue van. I thought, "I'll show them...,"
    but graduation came and went. About two months later, someone vandalized it by putting lots of stuff in the gas tank that didn't belong there. Now having a car without a working engine, I felt that the time had come to...well..."show them." Basically, I went to the junk yard, picked up a vette motor, added a couple of bolt ons (understatement), managed to fit it into the astro (awd=very tough), and after 10 months of working hard and giving up many (understatement) times, I got it to run (another understatement).

It has some decent power and acceleration for an astro. I bet I have shown more people their first Astro AWD burnouts than anyone else within 100 miles.

Stomp on the gas from a standstill and it will point the nose up about 10 degrees after a quick chirp. Stomp the gas in a light turn at low speeds and it will go sideways (astro-drift). Add water and it only needs small throttle inputs to lose traction.

Try to drift in a slight turn at high speeds...well, that would be suicide. I have not attempted it yet, but the slow speed characteristics are so bad that I am not going to try anything above 30 mph.

Right now, the local DSM crowd wants to set some type of challenge up with me at one of their businesses parking lots. I already let them know that the van was never suited for drift or going fast; I just happened to be abloe to make it do so.

How about a pic of the painting progress going on right now...
    Attached Files

Uhhhh....

...that is so dope.

86 VW Scirocco Wolfsburg (before there was a type R)
    This is so true as well.

Get us video of this rig

Comment

lol i almost soiled myself.

awd astro with an ls1. the best ive seen was a rwd astro with a sbc. very nice, but i think everyone wants to see some action/ motor shots.

Comment

Well, The LS1 only cost me $400 for everything minus the oil pan, which I needed a special one for anyway.

Racecraft makes the conversion kit for it which contains a new set of mounts, the oil pan, and a few other goodies.
        http://www.racecraftconversions.com/

Then there is the astro/safari forum:
        http://www.astrosafari.com/

Comment

If you can get a T-56 for that cheap, I'd give you a $200 finders fee. Really!!

Comment

Working...
          X