People living in japan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People living in japan

I notice as i look around the internet there is a surprising amount of people living in japan sucking up the drift lifestyle i just had some questions for these people as i am seriously planning a trip there in the near future and maybe even live there for a while?
    Did you go to japan solely for drifting or did you find it while over there?
    I see most of the westerners(i use this term just to describe some one from a western culture,without being specific to america or australia or england or new zealand etc) drifting in japan are in okinawa does this have anything to do with the fact that okinawa has a big american military base on it?
    how hard is it to go from having cheap meat, land and other thing expensive in japan?
    is there anything that isnt fun about japan because of the way we are used to living?(because i cant see anything wrong with japan at all i mean not a thing ive thaught about it lots, any big surprises?)
    how hard is it fitting into japanese culture being a westerner?
    what kind of job is a westerne likely to get in japan- do our qualifications count for anything or does languge and culture differences change this?
    how hard is japanese as a language to pick up fluently?
    Thanks i appreciate any feedback?

Re: People living in japan

Originally posted by rb20
    Did you go to japan solely for drifting or did you find it while over there?
    That would be stupid :P Although I might come back in a few years partially because of that reason... eheheh. I'm fairly sure that most of the drifters (I'm not a drifter but I can answer your questions on Japan) found out about after coming, or didn't know much about it until they got here.

I see most of the westerners(i use this term just to describe some one from a western culture,without being specific to america or australia or england or new zealand etc) drifting in japan are in okinawa does this have anything to do with the fact that okinawa has a big american military base on it?
    Well, duh. Most of the American drifters in Okinawa (And Misawa, etc, etc) are in the military. (Don't mean to be rude but it should be obvious)

how hard is it to go from having cheap meat, land and other thing expensive in japan?
    That depends on how much you get paid, and who you work for. Apparently, living on a US military base in Japan is just like living in the US, except a little smaller.

Here's a question: Can you adapt to eating a bowl of plain, un-salted rice every single meal? I have. Heheheheh... Of course, if you cook your own food you wouldn't have to do that...

is there anything that isnt fun about japan because of the way we are used to living?(because i cant see anything wrong with japan at all i mean not a thing ive thaught about it lots, any big surprises?)
    Not really. Although everything except used cars is expensive, and it's expensive to own your cheap used car as well (parking space fees, shaken, expensive gas, expensive maintenance).

how hard is it fitting into japanese culture being a westerner?
    You don't. You're a westernern, a gaijin, an outsider. You will never be a true part of Japan in the eyes of the Japanese no matter how long you live there, how well you speak the language, whether you have a Japanese spouse, land, or even Japanese citizenship (which would be a stupid idea unless you really want to vote in Japan that badly).

Don't think it's a bad place because of that. Yes, Japanese people as a whole are racist, but not in a hateful, violent KKK way. More like an "us and them" way. The closest thing to the KKK in Japan would be the Uyoku, who don't HATE foreigners, they just don't want them in Japan.

what kind of job is a westerne likely to get in japan- do our qualifications count for anything or does languge and culture differences change this?
    If you speak fluent Japanese and have whatever skills the job requires, you can obviously get a job in any company, doing anything, assuming you can actually convince them that you're worth hiring even though you're a foreigner.

how hard is japanese as a language to pick up fluently?
    Dunno, no one's every done it.

Just kidding...

I've learned more Japanese from subtitled anime and a bit of internet study than I have anything else (Although I have learned a bunch this year in Japanese classes here).
    Last edited by Valkyrie; 12-10-2004, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Culture...

Coming from someone who is half Japanese, I'll tell you it is difficult to fit into everyday society. I lived there for a number of years with my family/relatives and my sister and I stuck out like sore thumbs. Culturally it is very different. If you want to live in Japan, I would say to give it a try for a few months to begin with to see how you like it. I've thought about moving back lately. I probably wouldn't last very long though even with my relatives support. Good luck.

Comment

thanks for your info
        so is it just that you stick out like a sore thumb or do you literally get segregated to hanging round with other outsiders?

Comment

Originally posted by rb20
          thanks for your info
          so is it just that you stick out like a sore thumb or do you literally get segregated to hanging round with other outsiders?
          That depends.

Yes... foreignors stick out like sore thumbs... so unless someone knows you personally or they just want to talk to foriegnors specifically, they basically wont have anything to with you. That's basically how the social system works in Japan.

People have small groups of very close friends rather than a bunch of lesser friends, and don't just talk to other people on the streets, etc, unless they already know each other. This fact causes some people to get a little annoyed when a foriegnor just seems to friendly or just starts to talk to them for no reason.

People only segregate themselves, really... you can hang out with just other foriegnors or you can make friends with the natives if you have the chance.

etc, etc... there's plenty on the internet to read about Japan. do some searching and you'll find enough info.

Comment

People have small groups of very close friends rather than a bunch of lesser friends, and don't just talk to other people on the streets, etc, unless they already know each other. This fact causes some people to get a little annoyed when a foriegnor just seems to friendly or just starts to talk to them for no reason.
            Sounds like New York City. You can live there your entire life and not know your next door neighbor. I lived there 6 months and didn't meet the 2 people living next to me.

Comment

hummm

HEY VALK !!!!!!!!!!!!!wut are u taliking about. are u sure your in japan... or do u just watch everyone drift.... dont give japan a bad rap... ive lived there and bou to go back. bascically the system works that if u suck at drifting and have a cocky attitude they dont like u.... or if u suck up to them... anyways japan is great... at least there country has has honor and respect. what do americans have.. we have turned drifting from a cool. thing to everyone with money getting on the wagon to become richhhhhh.......but yeah ill be in D1 in 2005 and all the other comps. sif u see me holla....

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhh

valk do u drift?and where are u in japan?????????

Comment

HEY VALK...IM REALLY DISAPPOINTED IN YOU!!!!

Comment

I'm not trying to give Japan a bad rap. I like it here a lot. But if you don't see any inherent xenophobia in Japanese society, you'd have to either be oblivious, niave, or having too much fun to care.

And yes, I am in Japan (East Tokyo).

I don't have a car yet, so that should answer your questions about me drifting.

(hmm, when and where is D1 2005? I tried to go to a touge today, but that plan failed horribly since I don't have a car, and my friends with cars don't really want to go.))
                  Last edited by Valkyrie; 05-03-2005, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Since I just got back to the states from Japan..... im not into putting a crappy car together and calling it a drift car.......but anyways ill be in the 2005 D1. and D1 USA is cool and all but we are still far from competeing with any of he japanese.. and if u would go to japan you would see what I mean. mad americans crash all the time and that is the only time the cops come. it gets old and no one gets to drift...but you will see why I dont have to wait in line.............................................. .............................

Comment

Right now im in the airport admirals club, awaiting my flight to Japan. When I come back, or even while im there, I will have fully formed an opinion on life over there.

Comment

I Have lived in Japan for a year and a Half and have worked for an all Japanese school in the country side of Tokyo. I have a friend who drifts and was helping me look for a car, but he is a MIllionaire and works alot. There is some racism here, but that is because it is so croweded and people are very busy. My girlfriend works for a an electronics company and does not get out of the office until 11:00 or 12:00pm and goes to work the next day at 9:00 am. SOmetimes 6 days a week. There are some really cool people here, I noticed that after my kindergarden saw my talent with drums they had more respect for me and opened up. You cant be a lazy american and you cant be a rude asshole, then you will get nowhere. The only rude people I see are foreigners that are naive or Military that don`t know any better. I am jealous of the military because of the beneifts they get, garge, lifts, tools, cheap parking, shaken, etc. BUt a crappy unfufillling job from what I hear. Plus you really can`t put living in Japan on a military base on a resume and expect someone to beleive that you lived in Japan and worked for a Japanese company. Working in the kindergarden was good pay and i was immersed in JPanese every day and was forced to speak it out of necessity. Now I live in Nagoya and work for Berlitz and teach the Chemest at Toyota how to negotiate a business deal when he goes to America. It is a challenge and I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by TxSamurai
                          I Have lived in Japan for a year and a Half and have worked for an all Japanese school in the country side of Tokyo. I have a friend who drifts and was helping me look for a car, but he is a MIllionaire and works alot. There is some racism here, but that is because it is so croweded and people are very busy. My girlfriend works for a an electronics company and does not get out of the office until 11:00 or 12:00pm and goes to work the next day at 9:00 am. SOmetimes 6 days a week. There are some really cool people here, I noticed that after my kindergarden saw my talent with drums they had more respect for me and opened up. You cant be a lazy american and you cant be a rude asshole, then you will get nowhere. The only rude people I see are foreigners that are naive or Military that don`t know any better. I am jealous of the military because of the beneifts they get, garge, lifts, tools, cheap parking, shaken, etc. BUt a crappy unfufillling job from what I hear. Plus you really can`t put living in Japan on a military base on a resume and expect someone to beleive that you lived in Japan and worked for a Japanese company. Working in the kindergarden was good pay and i was immersed in JPanese every day and was forced to speak it out of necessity. Now I live in Nagoya and work for Berlitz and teach the Chemest at Toyota how to negotiate a business deal when he goes to America. It is a challenge and I love it.
                          lol ur sig is awesome... thats wut i would love about japan too, cant wait to move and try it out in a few years

Comment

Originally posted by HITANDRUNCREW
                            Since I just got back to the states from Japan..... im not into putting a crappy car together and calling it a drift car.......but anyways ill be in the 2005 D1. and D1 USA is cool and all but we are still far from competeing with any of he japanese.. and if u would go to japan you would see what I mean. mad americans crash all the time and that is the only time the cops come. it gets old and no one gets to drift...but you will see why I dont have to wait in line.............................................. .............................
                            Seems a little full of himself, for not being in it yet...saying is one thing, but proving it is another...

Are you American or Japanese?

Comment

Originally posted by HITANDRUNCREW
                              oh please. stfu and show it then. if youre so damn good why the hell arent you in there now with a mediocre car?

so until you reveal your name and say what you drive and then show us a video of you in the fukcing D1. stfu

Comment

Working...
                              X