Is drifting a sport?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is drifting a sport?

Let me start by saying that i am not trying to start a fight, I just want honest opinions. Also I have been drifting for a while and I love it, but I was thinking about drifting and I began to wonder if it is a sport or not. On one side I said yes, because it takes a lot of skill, technique, and practice to get good at. But chess also takes a lot of skill, technique, and practice, but that doesn't make it a sport. Then I considered the fact that in drifting a winner is picked by judges, not lap times, so it must not be a sport. But then I thought that figure skating is also judged, as opposed to speed skating where lap times are used, and it is a sport. (according to the Olympics) Diving also falls into this category (rather than swimming). Then I thought that if it isn't based on the fastest one around the track then it isn't racing, and if it isn't racing then it isn't a motorsport. Basically, I equate it to figure skating. It takes a great deal of skill and practice and in the end you can create something beautiful. So I don't know if it is a sport or not, but it is a hell of a lot of fun! I just want to get some of your opinions. Sorry for such a long post, and please, no fighting. Just opinions.

I guess you can say its a type of Motorsport, but whether its an all out sport or not really depends on someones opinion of what a sport is. Maybe its not as obvious a sport as baseball or football, but id say its more a sport than checkers! To me everything behind the wheel is a sport.

Comment

if freestyle motocross and monster truck freestyle are sports then drifting definatly is

Comment

In my opinion, if scores come from judges it is not a sport. This means figure skating, gymnastics, diving, syncronized (sp?) swimming, and drifting are not sports. That's not to say the people who compete in these activities aren't athletes or extremely skilled. And, I'm not trying to make these things seem less than what they are, they take more than what most people can give.

Anywho, to decode my rambling: Judging means it's not a sport, but thats not a bad thing

Comment

I would categorize it as an Xgame. MotoX / WinterXgames / skate boarding are judged sports.

Comment

all i gotta say is ballroom dancing is in the olympics...so drifting is a sport

gotta love my reasoning.

Comment

Originally posted by Drifterlunchb0x
              all i gotta say is ballroom dancing is in the olympics...so drifting is a sport
              Agreed, and what about trampoline.

Many sports are judged subjectively. I would definitely say drifting is a sport.

Comment

Well, after reading your responses and thinking a little more I don't think it is a sport. I consider it a performance. Just like monster trucks and freestyle moto X. It takes a lot to be a good drifter, but it really does clssify as an
                X-game. X-games I do not consider a sport, but I do think the competitors are athletes, just like drifters. Maybe it is because I spend most of my time roadcourse racing, but I can't get past the fact that it is judged, not based on who finishes the fastest. Just my opinion.

Comment

the word sport is defined as "Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively." so keeping that in mind, yes, drifting is a sport.

Comment

Working...
                  X