japan's cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• japan's cars

ok...if i understand right japan never got the 240 coupe with the h/b front end right

well then is that a popular convertion over there or do they just laugh at us bc we have to import there parts just to make a silvia

we got the the S13 and PS13 called a "Silvia" (non pop up headlight, non hatchback)
    and the RS13 and RPS13 called a "180sx" (pop up headlights and hatchback).

Around 1995 or so Nissan Japan released some factory sileighty's (non popup headlight, hatchback, "Sileighty" in the rear name plate instead of "180sx")

those are the factory models. Then you have the autech 1988/1989 convertible silvias, not really "Nissan" factory release but close enough.

Comment

I was kinda wondering the same thing about the conversion. Except I know it isnt popular, or else why wouldnt you see alot of pics.

Comment

i've seen quite a few onevia's around, but I guess the silvia front is cheaper than the 180 so people prefer that. Also 180's went into late 96 for production, slap a silvia front on a late model 180 and you instantly have something close to a S13 made in 96.

Besides, sileighties look way tougher than onevias (but I may be biased having owned a ichigo sileighty)

Comment

When people first started doing sileighty conversions, It was because they crashed their 180s at the touge, and Silvia parts were not only cheaper, but they were also lighter. Think about it this way. Which one would you expect to be lighter. 2 square headlight units with mounting equipment, all the motors required to make the lights flip up, and all the wiring OR simple fixed headlights that don't need any motors to make them move. If you're slow, the answer is the Silvia lights are more lightweight. Then, after Nissan realized they were sitting on a gold mine, they produced a very few Sileightys. These cars had slightly improved engines, among other extras you could only find on the sileighty. Nissan kept this project low-key, because they didn't want to be the company who was producing cars that were basically made for street racing/drifting. Now, genuine Nissan-produced Sileightys cost more than your average R34 Skyline because of their rarity.

Comment

Working...
          X