accident while drifting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• accident while drifting?

I thought this would be an interesting poll. How many of you guys have banked up your body drifting?

Im getting a lot of sh!t from friends for getting a paint job on my car before i learn how to drive it.. They dont understand that parking lots cant really do you any harm unless you hit someone else.. ALTHOUGH, i tend to think, that even drifting in the streets, and in higher risk areas, there is actually as few of accidents as people thing...

SO post your drifting accidents here!

i raped a curb with my s13 when i attempted my first "drift" . i was going about 60 mph and understeered due to lack of knowledge. well i was 16 and i learned from my mistake. all it cost was 400 bucks for a new rear subframe.

Comment

gitty gitty. nothing major but ihad a little damage from hitting a gaurd rail.

ryan

Comment

yeah you might rub fenders, or bump a little. but its all in the spirt of drifting.
        besides thats what mako is for. just dont go out and spend a grand on body work, that would be a waste of money on a drift car

Comment

I can't say anything since i will prolly get banned from the forum but the safest place to practice would be an empty parking lot.
          Some places will even allow you access if you ask, just don't sue them if you get any major damages inflicted to yourself or your car since you are the one on their turft and arean't really supose to be there in the first place.

Comment

Ive gotten in two accidents drifting. One i was showing off for my girlfriend and pulled it a little more sideways than i should have and ended up spinning out into a backyard and bending the *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* out of my rim. The other time was on a open highway and i ended up getting traction too early and shooting into my firends car. Im not even worried about fixin the car its got like a grand of bodywork but who cares you drift in it and you are gonna make mistakes sometimes no matter who you are. Anyone who says you cant drive because you crash either doesnt drift or doesnt challenge themselves.

Comment

I've rubbed some paint off both front and rear bumpers, and torn up the lower front bumper going off-road but other than that nothing major. Parking lots are relatively safe, but they'll only take you so far IMHO
              Last edited by ma71supraturbo; 03-08-2005, 10:55 PM.

Comment

been lucky so far. had a few spin outs, wrecked an oil pan and bumper cause of dip in road. sure will be more dings and stuff later when I get more involved again

Comment

The only thing I've done was pop a tire and bend up my rim on a curb. It was a sweeping right into a tight left. I came in strong turning right, hit the brakes to get the rear end starting, then tried to whip it left with a brake pump and some quick steering left.

Well, it rained the night before so the road was damp. I was running crappy tires that suck a whole lot more than they already do when they touch water, and my car has ABS that loves to go on and greatly reduce braking force with the slightest skidding.

It was all fine going right. When I tried to pump the brakes and flick it left, the ABS kicked in and prevented me from reducing enough speed and shifting the weight I wanted forward. Along with that, the grip on the damp road was a bit less than I was expecting, so I couldn't get the front grip I needed to rotate the car. It ended with the wheel locked left and my foot jammed on the brake going towards the outside curb of the left corner. Thunk. It probably would have been a nice little drift if the road had been dry.

I did learn some things from this. Curbs suck. ABS sucks. Misjudging the limits of your car usually ends up badly. I'm still an idiot when I want to be.

Comment

hahaha im putting down "curb bumpers" when i get my car back and start drifting. my body work and paint is running four grand but i know the guy so out of pocket was 1500. when i get it back parking lots for me... or a few of the hella wide streets we have around here. ah well. what about the people that haven't hit any thing at all? do you guys know any one that has awesome luck, and doesnt hit any thing?

Comment

i've had good luck most of the time...
                      my first was over by the high school, a nice curve down a residential street to a wide street in front of the school, it was my first real drift where i had angle before the apex, and after i came around it my front bumper was almost up on the curb, all i could see past my hood was the grass from my friends yard in front of me, no road. after a second or so of staring in awe i came back to my senses, countersteered a little over so it was kindof jerky. but i think i got pretty lucky. then at some local 'touge' we go to, i was practicing braking drifts, and feint drifts, i brought my rear end pretty close to a tree trying to do a dirt drop drift, lucky again. one day though, i hit a patch of ice in the same spot, and plowed right through the fence. no damage except a little paint rubbed off and a broken fence, but we aren't lucky every time

Comment

Originally posted by GodsAdvocate
                        hahaha im putting down "curb bumpers" when i get my car back and start drifting.
                        that is way too similar to what my friends and i call ourselves, i think you have to find a new name, sorry haha.

Comment

8500$$$ worth of damage, new bumper (front) 4 lower control arms 3 upper 3shocks 4 rims new tires front/rear subframes steering rack and other misc. items

2nd week after i got my car i was trying to slide and ended up into one curb and crossing the road and into the other side of the roads curb. going about 40ish mph w/ a clutch kick. i had never driven a FR car before so i learned pretty quick how bad things could get.

Comment

only crashed once when avctually drifting. drove up one off those sloped curbs onto someones front yard, first day driving with coilovers, it was like a left then right turn, i went right too ealy then drove into someones front yard.

twice getting understeer pre- lsd though... sucks to hit curbs.

Comment

Working...
                            X