importing of cars as a civilian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• importing of cars as a civilian

My dad and I have been reading up on what it takes to import cars from Japan. He has found that apparently a civilian can import 2 cars every 3 years.. if he so wishes. My only problem is that after you get the car and pay for shipping and such... you have to get it certified and DOT approved. Is there any way I can do this on my own. I mean zerolift autolabs in ohio is asking like 25k to do it on the car I am looking at. And Motorex (you get what car now?) is asking alot too. What can I do?

If your (apparently) thinking about a Skyline, this guy who owns a R32 Skyline in Jersey was at Formula D. I was curious and wanted to be exactly sure on what he did. From what he told me, DOT isnt letting any more Skylines in. Im not 100% on the info, but the guy apparently owns a R32 that was legalized by motorex and thats what he told me.

Comment

This info has been beat to death on fresh alloy
      you have to be a Registered Imported to do the mods to get DOT to aprove it to be released
      then you have to deal with NHTSA and the EPA

You got to remebrr even god him self (Bill Gates) waited what 5 years to get his car cleared to be "street legal"
      a porsche 996 iirc
      the cost i would imagine was well over a million dollars

Max

Comment

Originally posted by illegalgarage
        This info has been beat to death on fresh alloy
        you have to be a Registered Imported to do the mods to get DOT to aprove it to be released
        then you have to deal with NHTSA and the EPA

You got to remebrr even god him self (Bill Gates) waited what 5 years to get his car cleared to be "street legal"
        a porsche 996 iirc
        the cost i would imagine was well over a million dollars

Max

hehe..yeah this topic has been beaten to death many a times..in almost all the forums across the land..its so dead its not even funny..but well..everyone has

Comment

Hey the guy needs help. I tried helping. Dont get all high and mighty, you would be suprised how many people go up to others asking the questions. Its how people learn. It has been repeated many times but a question is a question. Somone i think posted some very technical information, you just got to click the search button!

Comment

I know you are not talking to me
            high and mighty?
            put down the crack pipe

Max

Comment

yeah, max is more average height and somewhat mighty

Comment

Coudln't you just import a Skyline or any other JDM car and use it as a track car, and not legalize it?

Comment

I found out that you can import a car and list it as a race car and then you dont have to legalize it. The only drawback being you can't drive it on the road, so it isn't gunna be ur daily and your gunna have to tow it everwhere on a trailer. It makes sense though, all those D1 cars from Japan came to the US and they drove them on the tracks.

Comment

its funny how much disinformation is out there about importation of cars

if you bring a car into the country as a race car......you MUST have documentation from the MANUFACTURER specifically stating that that EXACT car was originally produced as a race car and not as a street car.......or that is has ENOUGH modifications done prior to importation to justify classifying the car as a race car......otherwise you're not getting the car into the country that way

and as for the japanse D1 guys......they're cars are here for a VERY short period of time.....after which if they do not leave the country with the cars they will be crushed

and as for getting a car from Japan.......see my link in my sig

oh and btw....Motorex is out of business........and besides.....they were the worst people to do business with

Late,
                    Daniel

Comment

If your asking on this board, most likely you don't have the resources to import a car.

You can have a car imported. It would go to the Bahamas and get fully disassembled, get sent to the US, and fully reassembled. Sorry, but I wouldn't want some random guys taking apart a car I paid for, and expect some shop to be able to put it all back together. Plus, there are so many people involved, the chances of ever seeing the car you paid for are about 50%. ''

Just do a conversion. Who's cares if it's not a "real" Skyline, it's close enough. I mean, if anyone would make a big deal about it, they are obviously some dumb ricer.

EDIT: RealSilvia, unless your a register importer, good luck. Wait, I think my friend talked to you about a car. His name is Karl.
                      Last edited by AE86_drift; 04-29-2005, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Thank you so much for trying to discredit the work that we do . We have all the legal documentation for the customer to feel more than secure that they will be getting their car in a timely fashion. And all of our cars are catalogued thoroughly when taken apart and put back together meticulously. I have no idea where you got the idea that you're not likely to see the car that you paid for

And I guess i'm a dumb ricer for having an R33 Skyline huh??? I might have talked to your friend Karl, I talk to a lot of people about bringing in cars for them

Late,
                        Daniel

Comment

ok.......
                          two words

KIT CAR

yes it does work, at least here in florida

Comment

wow I had no idea I was making such a stir. IF need be, Zerolift Autolabs in Ohio was offering to legalize a skyline I was looking at for 25k. That $$ alone blew my mind. Where is the profit margin? but seriously.. I found a beautiful Silvia Q I would love to import, legalize, and take care of.. but I need to at least figure out how much red tape I'm jumping throught.

Comment

Originally posted by realSILVIA
                              its funny how much disinformation is out there about importation of cars

if you bring a car into the country as a race car......you MUST have documentation from the MANUFACTURER specifically stating that that EXACT car was originally produced as a race car and not as a street car.......or that is has ENOUGH modifications done prior to importation to justify classifying the car as a race car......otherwise you're not getting the car into the country that way
                              You can still import the car that way, so it isn't misinformation. It's just misinterpreted, I didn't know about the manufacturer part(which is a lame rule/law). You CAN import cars and not legalize them and still drive them on tracks though, I read it in an article in a magazine.

My mailman has a RHD impreza wagon...

Comment

Working...
                              X