right side steering in the usa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• right side steering in the usa

is it legal to have a right side steering car in the usa ive seen those old mini coopers with the right side steering but i dont know....reson for asking i wana import a skyline

Originally posted by Sean.C
    is it legal to have a right side steering car in the usa ive seen those old mini coopers with the right side steering but i dont know....reson for asking i wana import a skyline
    Of course it is.

Most state laws concerning gray market cars focus on safety equipment (i.e. glass, lighting) and emissions. To my knowledge, no state has any law banning RHD vehicles.

Comment

Ive seen a few people woth RHD cars in Nashville, TN and they never get in trouble, well at least for that. I dont know if CA laws are different?

Comment

No, there are no laws in the US against having a RHD car. Just like Craig said, their only concerns are with the safety items on cars that are imported...for example all of the DOT parts. If you converted a USDM car to RHD, then you would have no legallity issues.

Comment

However, importing a car with RHD when the same car exists in the USA(S13, S14, FC, FD, etc.) is difficult for the following reason according to the NTSB:

"While there is no specific restriction on importing a right-hand drive vehicle, these may not be imported under eligibility decisions based on the existence of substantially similar U.S.- certified left-hand drive vehicles. Our experience has shown that the safety performance of right-hand drive vehicles is not necessarily the same as that of apparently similar left-hand drive vehicles offered for sale in this country. However, we will consider the vehicles "substantially similar" if the manufacturer advises us that the right-hand drive vehicle would perform the same as the U.S.-certified left-hand drive vehicle in dynamic crash tests. Absent such a showing, the RI would have to demonstrate (through a petition) that the vehicle, when modified, would comply with all applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards, including those for which dynamic crash testing is prescribed."

Comment

no s14's im geting a skyline but i had to go to chp place and i asked them they said thats its ok

Comment

CHP said a Skyline would be legal? Sorry to dissapoint you but I dont think "Ponch" has the authority to decide that. Check with the DMV about stuff like that.

You really need to look up "importing skyline" in the search box. You can really find a lot of times this has been previously discussed (i think its over 10 now).

Also, I hope you have a lot of $$$ because just importing the car (and not legalizing it) takes a good chunk of change, especially in CA.

Comment

i ment RHD was ok in cali not the skyline i know its gana cost money i have allready looked up all the info about all of this stuff i just wasnt shure if RHD was ok in cali... but thanks everyone for there information

Comment

Working...
                X