FF3 & Keeping It Safe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FF3 & Keeping It Safe

After having read all the posts in the multiple threads about the release of Fast And The Furious 3 next near I have come to a realization. The movie is inevitable and we as a community should do our best to make sure nothing negative comes from it. Any of you who remember the release of the origional movie, there was alot of crap that happened on opening night. I know in the DC area some kids were stupid enough to block off a major road to try to re-create the drag scene from the movie. So the question is, what can be done? For those of you who are tied into the sport (promotors, drivers, and sponsors), it would mean alot to hold events, practices, clinics, and exhibitions around the release of the movie. Companies can stand to make alot of money from the popularity of this movie and its time that they do something good as well. Unexperienced drivers trying to drift can be very dangerous and could hurt innocent people as well as the sport itself.
    So I put it up to you (me included) as a community to try to find something to keep these kids from doing something stupid.

go to movie theatres, setup a deal where you display osme hawt omgjdm drift cars in association with a local event organization, whamo instant exposure to where to safely do it, and the movie theatre gets some eye candy.

Comment

oh mike, yer so kewl!

(btw, you guys headed up to drift showoff up in norcal?)

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Peters
        go to movie theatres, setup a deal where you display osme hawt omgjdm drift cars in association with a local event organization, whamo instant exposure to where to safely do it, and the movie theatre gets some eye candy.
        YUP!!!

the opportunities to market a "drift" car will be huge come June!! jump on them, get extra exposure for yourself and for your sponsors! contact local news papers, etc...

Comment

Im not talking about just exposre (which is great by the way) but also setting up a sort of drift clinic where you could go over what is involved and give out info on where to learn and local groups/organizations that hold practices and such to keep these kids off of the streets. Have the cars there for the premire and have a table set up where you can hand out info on whats comming up and how to do it. I would be more than happy to volunteer an evening of my time to actually show that drifters are responsible people (even though we may not be).

Comment

This is a good idea i'll take my hellica to the premire and say if you are gonna drift this is what your car will look like and that should deter them

like this is your car
            this is your car on drift

Comment

There should be a PSA (public service announcements) before the movie at the movie theater and the later released DVD about safely driving and taknig it to the track. Universal should talk with Drift Association and Formula D and make the public aware that there are sanctioned pratice events and sanctioned competitions out there.

I remember during the Second movie, a lot of show cars were displayed at Major Movie theaters. That would be nice if we can get some FD / D1 cars at some movie theaters and have FD or D1 come out and leave information about their events with the display cars.

Comment

Originally posted by yukio@jic-magic
                There should be a PSA (public service announcements) before the movie at the movie theater and the later released DVD about safely driving and taknig it to the track. Universal should talk with Drift Association and Formula D and make the public aware that there are sanctioned pratice events and sanctioned competitions out there.

I remember during the Second movie, a lot of show cars were displayed at Major Movie theaters. That would be nice if we can get some FD / D1 cars at some movie theaters and have FD or D1 come out and leave information about their events with the display cars.
                i actually coordinated a display for the first one (back when i was only 17!!). it's pretty easy to do...

call your local theater, ask to speak to the manager, tell him that you know the release of F&F3 is coming up, and want to talk about a big promotion. see if he's interested.

if he is, go for it. if he's not, then call the next theater.

(do this 3-4 weeks before the release).

then call up local news paper / radio / tv stations, and have them come out and talk about it. talk about the legal avenues for drifting, etc.

show up around 5-6 to set up. Be there until 8 or 9. then bounce and go home (i would suggest watching your cars and being available to answer questions, DON'T go watch the movie and leave your car unattended)

Comment

like this is your car
                  This is your car on drift
                  I can imagine that, hehe.

"Daaaamm daaawwg, what happened to your hachey?"

"Slid it off the road into a ditch, stupid bridgestones..."

"Duuude, did it mangle your baawwdy kit? Does you're nossss fogggger still work?"

"Um....no. As a matter of fact, don't try drifting, you'll die."

Sorry if anyone's offended by this, just thinking out loud...but typing, hehe.

Comment

I used to be an assistant manager at an Edwards in Irvine. If you guys need help w/ that I can talk to my old manager and I'm sure he would be able to talk to the other managers in the o.c. area and work something out. I got a special screening going w/ some of the local guys for the 1st and 2nd movie. shhhh don't tell corporate hahaha. j/k we worked it out as a promotion

Comment

Originally posted by Slapshotnerd
                      i actually coordinated a display for the first one (back when i was only 17!!). it's pretty easy to do...

call your local theater, ask to speak to the manager, tell him that you know the release of F&F3 is coming up, and want to talk about a big promotion. see if he's interested.

if he is, go for it. if he's not, then call the next theater.

(do this 3-4 weeks before the release).

then call up local news paper / radio / tv stations, and have them come out and talk about it. talk about the legal avenues for drifting, etc.

show up around 5-6 to set up. Be there until 8 or 9. then bounce and go home (i would suggest watching your cars and being available to answer questions, DON'T go watch the movie and leave your car unattended)
                      Agreed...a lot of theaters will want this, which will require the help of a lot of us to coordinate/find cars.

Perhaps we can all work together here to pull cars from our locality to service this.

IMHO, the car owners should be paid/compensated at least something for doing this, so perhaps we should "set a rate" so that we're all in agreement and help service all those theaters that want servicing.

Comment

Originally posted by Pennyman
                        "Um....no. As a matter of fact, don't try drifting, you'll die."
                        hahahahahahaha....lol.....i'm gonna start saying that from now on....

Comment

Craig,
                          Who would need to talk to who about getting this done? I guess this would be based on a national deal. I dont need to be compensated but it might help some people out. I just figured I would throw it up now as it takes forever to plan everything and I think this is a worthwhile cause to keep the kids from killing themselves and promote drifting in a positive light. I wouldnt mind doing some of the grunt work for this.
                          Neal

Comment

How about we set up drift practices at the theatre parking lots during the movie! jk

Comment

Originally posted by su_maverick
                              Craig,
                              Who would need to talk to who about getting this done? I guess this would be based on a national deal. I dont need to be compensated but it might help some people out. I just figured I would throw it up now as it takes forever to plan everything and I think this is a worthwhile cause to keep the kids from killing themselves and promote drifting in a positive light. I wouldnt mind doing some of the grunt work for this.
                              Neal
                              Hi Neal;
                              Jacob (aka SlapShot) had it right...a good approach would be simply to call your local theater and organize a meet of 5-10 cars for in front of the theater...making sure, of course, that the cars are drift authentic and not big wing'd Civics.

Another opportunity will surely come when I start working with Universal's makreting team as I did in the last two films...they contacted me for cars for theaters/premiers in several cities.

I'll post these "casting calls" on my site and open the doors up to everyone registered (I'll again offer free registrations for these gigs, if you're not already there) and my usual network will probably be called upon to help us find cars (that means you guys like Yukio, David, George and others who have access to cool cars) will have plent of opportunities to play important roles in this process.

Again, the goal is make (you guys) some money if possible and more importantly, to educate movie goers about the skill, talent and NON-illegal nature of the drifting community.

How do YOU do it in YOUR community?

Jacbo nailed it...call your local theater manager, line up some cars, arrange some compensation and have at it.

I'd love to see pics on this forum of some of your guys' accomplishments...like Jacob said, call your local newspapers, give media interviews, and become "ambassadors" for the sport, otherwise, we risk the ignorance of the media "spinning" the story and spreading misinformation just as they did in the first movie.

Comment

Working...
                              X