VIRUS! you should read this...NOW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIRUS! you should read this...NOW

WARNING!!! THERE IS A CRAZY VIRUS THAT WILL TAKE EFFECT ON FEB. 3RD 2006(midnight tonight) below is a link to site that describes the virus and everything about it and has virus scans etc...

http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/v....aspx?id=50198

from what I got from it is basically dont open any emails, idk though Im sure someone that actually knows something about computers can tell us

What's the name of the virus? I'd prefer to look it up on the microtrend site as opposed to clicking on a random link that says VIRUS!

Comment

Nyxem virus

Comment

Apparently this virus has been collecting ppl's emails each time their email is opened by the receiving party. I guess they keep the victim's emails till 2moro when it strikes on them. Hope no1's opened any previous bogus emails as shown in these articles. Otherwise from what i gather... ur already on their hit list.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4661582.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4673576.stm

Comment

Win32/Mywife.E@mm

Microsoft wants to make customers aware of the Mywife mass mailing malware variant named Win32/Mywife.E@mm. The mass mailing malware tries to entice users through social engineering efforts into opening an attached file in an e-mail message. If the recipient opens the file, the malware sends itself to all the contacts that are contained in the system’s address book. The malware may also spread over writeable network shares on systems that have blank administrator passwords.
          Customers using Windows XP Service Pack 1, Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows Server 2003, or Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 may be at reduced risk from this malware; if the account password is blank, the account is not valid as a network credential. In an environment where you can guarantee physical security, you do not need to use the account across the network, and you are using Windows XP or Windows Server 2003, a blank password is better than a weak password. By default, blank passwords can only be used locally in Windows XP and Windows Server 2003.

Customers who are using the most recent and updated antivirus software could be at a reduced risk of infection from the Win32/Mywife.E@mm malware. Customers should verify this with their antivirus vendor. Antivirus vendors have assigned different names to this malware but the Common Malware Enumeration (CME) group has assigned it ID CME-24.

On systems that are infected by Win32/Mywife@E.mm, the malware is intended to permanently corrupt a number of common document format files on the third day of every month. February 3, 2006 is the first time this malware is expected to permanently corrupt the content of specific document format files. The malware also modifies or deletes files and registry keys associated with certain computer security-related applications. This prevents these applications from running when Windows starts.

As with all currently known variants of the Mywife malware, this variant does not make use of a security vulnerability, but is dependent on the user opening an infected file attachment. The malware also attempts to scan the network looking for systems it can connect to and infect. It does this in the context of the user. If it fails to connect to one of these systems, it tries again by logging on with "Administrator" as the user name together with a blank password.
          Last edited by BenR; 02-02-2006, 05:04 PM. Reason: I drink draino

Comment

^ yup. Along with Blackmal, Kama Sutra and Grew virus.

Comment

Working...
            X