Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FORZA MOTORSPORT 4 vs GRAN TURISMO 5

Please post your feedback on this thread

GT5 all day every day! Tandems in Forza are not exciting!

Comment

Well I'm sad to say I gave up my 350Z, but since I'm saving money for a new build, I've been spending more time on Racing Sims than usual. I've been Sim Racing for 8 years and drifting for 4 years. I am lucky to have the experience of successfully drifting several different types of cars(thanks to trusting friends) so I would say my skills are good enough to determine if a simulation racer is convincingly realistic and natural or not to me. I even built a home-made cabinet out of a broken big-box TV with a modified XBOX steering wheel adding a hand brake, clutch pedal and shifter from the Logitech G25 wheel.

Gran Turismo 5

I played GT5 with the Logitech G25 wheel modded with a handbrake. I was playing Forza 3 before GT5 was finally released so I felt that GT5 should rival what F3 brought to the table. Sadly overall I felt it didn't.
      Road racing was excellent in GT5. Using the G25 Wheel sold the feel perfectly with its (up to)900 degrees of rotation, clutch and 6speed shifter
      but the drifting was quite unrealistic and did not have a natural feel or response from the behavior of the tires. The wheel had a delay when free spinning from transitions so I had to use an unrealistic alignment setup just to get the FT-86 and the S13 to behave more like a real drift car. The transitions were a gamble most of the time anyways hurting the fun factor. I ended up rallying more than drifting cause it was more fun and natural to drive.
      A big plus for me was the night drifting in the city courses. Drifting tandem with friends online is always fun plus really big smoke when you get a good slide going! Graphics and detail was really vibrant. Photo shop was cool. In the end I went back to Forza 3 cause there wasn't much keeping me interested in GT5. Other than setting alignment, there was not much else you could really do to add a diversity to your favorite car. No custom painting or graphics, no engine swaps, or even unique games like Cat and Mouse or Virus Tag.

Forza 4

Well I was more satisfied than disappointed, but when I'm drifting an S13 hatch left hand drive with a screaming RB, its like it doesn't matter cause I'm having so much fun. They were serious when the designers said they were focusing on real tire feel and simulation. The tire feedback was so realistic I felt like I was driving more on natural reflex than compensating for any slight unrealistic physics. I immediately got sucked into the world tour racing, then started exploring other features of the game. Drifting really changed from F3 to F4 for the better.
      They finally got it right in my opinion. I worried less of virtual physics and felt a more natural physics simulation to the cars behavior in every style of racing and game play. Every little adjustment to the car was felt immediately in test driving. I can use real world drift alignment tunes with proper tire settings and have awesome control of the cars I build in F4. I'm not big into slow drifting for points. I would rather have tandem battles at high speed or tandem with skilled control through complex turns. Like F3, F4 has engine swaps for almost every car and the custom designs you can make or buy for any car. One addition I found myself playing a lot is Car Soccer! It is very fun when you get a good team together.
      The graphics are the best I have ever seen! every car in the game is so deeply detailed its uncanny! The lighting is nothing like I've ever seen. AutoVista is fun with the Kinect to open up the select group of cars and learn all the specs. Even Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear gives his insight on each car.
      I could go on with all the cool stuff in the game, but I need to get to the bad as well. There are no night courses! WHY!?! Drifting Fujimi Kaido at night was going to be the most epic part of this game for me! Some of the available engine swaps from F3 are not available in F4. Again WHY!?! Why can't I put a 350Z engine in any S chassis!?! This is also with many other cars I'm sad to see changed. It was my favorite combo chassis and engine in F3. I will admit the addition of the American 240SX hatch was awesome and well balanced with an RB engine swap. Here are some of the cars they added: SC300, Starion, XB Falcon, 65' GTO, 89' MR2, GMC Cyclone, I even made a drift wagon out of an Audi A4! Online is 16 drifters at one time. With so many novice or trolling players, its hard to get a good clean run without someone finishing early, R1 troll the race, or a drifter who just bulldoze everyone he comes near. You can open a public drift(or any other type of game) session where anyone who is playing F4 can look-up and join in. You can start up a car club and share cars too.

I saw a steering wheel for F4 that is pretty epic. http://www.fanatec.com/

I'm sure I'm forgetting something on both games, but that's all I can remember for now. Sorry it got so long, but I hope this was helpful for anyone who is into racing and drifting in Simulation. WRC for XBOX360 coming soon!

XBOX Gamer Tag: BYRacing
      Last edited by B.Young; 10-22-2011, 05:45 PM. Reason: edit typos

Comment

Very home made, but it works well for me. It took a few tricks to get it to work right (clutch engagement, handbrake, and shifter timing). Now its perfect every time with the clutch kicks, heel-toe, and handbrake long slides. I'm designing a new cabinet and shifter next.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by B.Young; 10-22-2011, 06:05 PM.

Comment

I really wouldn't show off that setup - is that electrical tape holding your shifter in place???. Anyways - I'm trying to figure out how you can say that Forza, or any game, can offer a realistic drifting experience with a setup like that. Right off the bat, a D-shaped wheel? I can't imagine trying to grab a spinning wheel with a flat-spot on it during a transition. Also, I know the only wheel on the market that can spin fast enough to truly recreate a transition is Thrustmaster's T500 and only one pedal setup offers a true progressive brake pedal, that's Fanatec's ClubSport. If you're gonna talk about something being realistic, you're going to at least need a realistic interface or else you might as well be playing with a control-pad.

Comment

You must have missed the part where I said its VERY home made. I spent less than $10 to put this together with crap in my garage. Other drivers really liked it saying the same thing I did. Its more realistic than a controller, and I would rather keep investing in the drift car build than drop hundreds of dollars on another wheel. Its been a huge party favor with friends and girls love playing in it too

Comment

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/op-KZ1xf-70" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1a4LstxgNsI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0OlmBgh3eS0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

Originally posted by INFO View Post
                  *another lame video-game "video" on YouTube
                  Seriously? Why did you post that crap? Maybe we can lure a bunch more 13 y/o wannabe drifters here.

Comment

Here's my backwards attempt!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Q0pv6bIh2nw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

this.... is past full lock entry.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/g9Jc9eG83BA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

Originally posted by Cavi Mike View Post
                        Seriously? Why did you post that crap? Maybe we can lure a bunch more 13 y/o wannabe drifters here.
                        Dude...You realize this is an off topic thread right?

So what if kids want to show what they can do on a video game, but to call them "wannabe drifters"? What about RC drifters? Are they wannabe's too? Are fans who can't afford a drift car, don't have a drivers license, or just love to watch drifting appreciating the drivers talents wannabe's as well? You should take a look in the mirror before harassing those who love drifting a little different than you.

DRIFTING.COM -- Correct me if I'm wrong on this but I remember an interview with Chris Forsberg at Willow Springs when he was sponsored by Sears stating he tied video gaming to some of his learning to control a drift car.

Comment

i do it in real life too..... this is teh off season, my car is away at the shop, and GT5 is right here at my fingertips. Word son.

Comment

Fanatec CSR Elite CSr 6speed shifter Logitech g25 pedals with Fanatec's G25 pedal adapter plus handbrake mod and custom racing wheel adapter. Drifting on Tsukuba 3 laps on the first video. Fujimi Kaido Section-A Reverse in the second video. Maple Valley 2 laps crazy run third video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=NrbrTg5vvaI
                            Last edited by Lifer; 05-06-2012, 04:44 AM.

Comment

Forza > GT5

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Virtua...12332405529593

Game over, don't see things like this going on in GT5. Some you lurkerfolk need to come play and smash into each other online!

Comment

Working...
                              X