Old school T/As

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old school T/As

With their 300/400 lbs/ft torque 6.6 and 7.5 liter motors these cars must have been the kings at getting sideways back in the day. I once saw a page from an old article where they did two photos to explain the difference between understeer and oversteer. First shot, driver went in with little throttle and the nose heavy Trans Am 6.6 ploughed through the corner, classic understeer. Next shot, the test driver mashes the gas pedal in the corner and kicks the tail out. Even the smog motor could crank out 320 lbs/ft @ 2800 rpm on 91 octane, that + low gear = oversteer.

http://www.geocities.com/wrenchplus/73xtra.html

http://www.78ta.com/international.htm

The cars are jus too heavy to easily drift stock. Still be an awsome start though.

Comment

Man, rent some smokey and the bandit movies.
      For real. It's not like you have to drift it stock.
      there's lots of parts for it too. The trick is getting the first model year of the generation (it's second gen by the by), like a fire bird, so that it's the lightest factory configuration. I've thought about drifting a 68 camaro we have, but not until I'm good enough to
      not kill myself.

Comment

It would be something trying to drift a 4,000 lb car. I'm willing to try it with someone elses set of wheels. If you lose control with one of those, wow, school's out, watch out bystanders. Even the police would take cover.

Comment

if your not going hard core for drift compatition..then anything with RWD can be drifting and fun

Comment

For sure, I was only talking about trying it for fun and surviving in one piece afterwards. I actually managed to drift at a traffic light intersection once in an old 3.5 liter bimmer. It was deserted at the time and a sunny day so I mashed the pedal as I went round and got opposite lock in a nice arc until I backed off the gas. I haven't done that sort of thing since though.

Comment

Working...
            X