Photoshop how-to: "change the color of your car"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photoshop how-to: "change the color of your car"

Pick the car you want to change the color of (I used a 240sx w/ the 280z frontend for the tutorial and a s14 for a showing of what the final product should look like)

Step 1)

Choose the Polygonal Lasso tool from the tool bar

step 2)
    Lasso the entire car itself try to get as much of the car possible and try to follow the lines of it carefully. I usually zoom in about 3 times for this. (ctrl +)

It should look something like that ^

step 3)
    Then press (ctrl c) and then (ctrl v) to copy and paste what you have jus selected You will then notice 2 layers have formed in your layer box. When that has happened click on the "eye" next to the backround layer

step 4)
    The backround should dissapeare and only what you lasso'd should appear.

step 5)
    Again using the polygonal lasso tool, begin to select and delete all parts of the car you do NOT want color'd. to do this simply lasso what you want deleted and then press the "delete" key on your keybaord

step 6)
    when your done it should look like this..hopefully

step 7)
    Then click on the box that use to contain the "eye" for the backround again so that everything comes back and it looks like nothing has happen.

step 8)
    Now it's time to color. go to Image>Adjust>Color Balance, or you can use Image>Adjust>Hue& Saturation
    play around w/ these tools and see what works best for the car you coloring. And that's all to it, here's a little something is myself for the fun of it. This helped me out alot, figuring out what color will fit the car that i want to work on, or what paint job i should get and what not.

before:

After:

HAPPY CHOPPIN YO!!!!

that cool...too bad i dont got photoshop...and i ain't downloading from Kazaa that thing is to crazy( the bad kind) any other software use to do things like that

Comment

Originally posted by FD3S_pilot
      that cool...too bad i dont got photoshop...and i ain't downloading from Kazaa that thing is to crazy( the bad kind) any other software use to do things like that
      Kazaa lite is a clean version of kazaa. However if you can afford the software i sugest you purchase it... most can not though.

Comment

Can't you do the same stuff in Photoshop Elements? That would be my recommendation for those who can't afford the full version.

Comment

damn Nemesis, any more photoshoppin tips?

Comment

yeah more tips

Comment

i know alot about photoshop...

PM me or ask here if you want to know how to do anything.

Comment

Originally posted by nissanguy_24
                Kazaa lite is a clean version of kazaa. However if you can afford the software i sugest you purchase it... most can not though.
                just use limewire, never had a problem, no spybots or anything

Comment

I'd use an adjustment layer to do the same thing. Do the same thing he said, but once you have your selection do Layer > New Adjustment Layer and select Hue/Saturation. Now you can nondestructively paint the areas where the color change is applied using the normal brush tools. It's good for detail work.

Edit: Only newer versions of photoshop have adjustment layers, but I think new in this case means like...4.0 and beyond. That's already way old. I reckon not many of you were probably around to remember Photoshop in the days before it had layers AT ALL, let alone adjustment layers [/old man voice]

Comment

drift effect, body kits, and anything that will make the pics look good and stuffs

Comment

here this is what i did
                      Attached Files

Comment

this is the photoshopped one
                        Attached Files

Comment

Great tutorial - This is what I had always tried to do but couldn't get it to come out right with the color balance...

Is there a way to go from a black to any lighter color?

-MR

Comment

how'd you do that w/ the wheels?

Comment

how'd you do that w/ the wheels?
                              Are you talking to me? if so i just cut those wheels off of another car and put it on to that car.

Comment

Working...
                              X