Skyline Importing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Feint
    Look at the 2002 Honda Integra Type-R registered and on the road in California.Wanna explain how the hell that was done? If that can be pulled off in the toughest state,any thing can be done anywhere else.

California emissions testing I believe is the most strict in the world...its pretty crazy.
    Emissions testing - normal testing that most consumers know about is also called "smog test " and "in use testing".

Smog testing is not the same as FTP testing. FTP testing is the stringent federal standards that new vehicles must meet. The vehicle is run on a dyno from a cold start and all emissions from the vehicle are tested.

Most "JDM" vehicles would pass a "smog test "

As far as any JDM car. Someone sticks it in a container , says its parts. Customs doesnt check it . When it gets here - they take it out of the container.
    Take a VIN plate from a US car and swap it...

Its not legal , but doesnt stop everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost of Duluth

Oh and for Chokudori, EPA is standard countrywide but Cali has it's own "in state" type of EPA, CARB runs in conjunction with federal guidelines. California has the most stringent emissions laws in the country as far as I know. Georgia and some of the other southern states have the least. Trust me, it is VERY easy to get one done down here, a little harder if you have to have a test done but with no emissions test, it's cake.
      I know what CARB is... I'm from CA and study law, after all... But, CARB monitors air quality, and EPA does MANY OTHER things besides that on the federal level. That is exactly what I said earlier.

Comment

Correct my friend. I am from Tennessee and study girls.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost of Duluth
          Correct my friend. I am from Tennessee and study girls.
          Just because I study law doesn't mean I don't study girls

Actually, the gf would kick my *Censored**Censored**Censored* if I tried to study any girls currently .

Comment

Originally posted by ChokudoriS13
            Just because I study law doesn't mean I don't study girls

Actually, the gf would kick my *Censored**Censored**Censored* if I tried to study any girls currently .
            dont get caught

Comment

Originally posted by Limited_Options
              check the price list at motorex. new r34 gtrs run for that much. still with skylines going that cheap, it would cost some cash to get it legalized and shipped to the us. and with that kind of cash someone has spent on a r23 or a r33 you still can get a new g35.
              GT-r =Nissan ITB from the factory, AWD, tons if used parts overhere for it.
              G35 = Renault

Comment

http://www.tamparacing.com/forums/sh...1&page=1&pp=20

Some good stuff here on this issue.

Charles

Comment

Sean (tyndago), you really have patience in explaining your experience and knowledge in importing cars! Props to you!

People, this topic has been discussed over and over again on numerous boards like www.freshalloy.com. Go read up on the old threads in the Skyline forums there.
                  Hubert Young
                  KORE 8 Films

Comment

okay so heres the facts straight from htsa epa and dot

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...t02012005.html
                    *describes the process of importation of a foreign vehicle

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...LIG071404.html
                    vehicles eligible to be imported into america its called the the nissan gtr 1990-99 docket code 5507, represents a comprehensive study by motorex saying its comepletely legel to import them into america. if you want pdf of the studty just do a gov docket search for 5507. you are eligible to import the gtrs and gts into america. since they meet epa regulations and safety standards.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/
                    all the info required for importing a jdm that meets epa standards, skyline meets and exceeds the bare minimum.

http://www.cbp.gov/nafta/docs/us/anx300a.html
                    customs regulations for importation go down for us regultations for importing skyline

the only reason for RIs are fixing the problem of either conversion to lhd, kmh to mph, and new vin, whihc is actually a state thing not fed.

skylines are legal now to import. they confirmed using docket 5507 with a crash test study of a r33 gtr. finding that they meet or exceed the standard 240sx with same body type.

you just gotta pay for customs and lhd conversion except in cali where emissions are abitch.

Comment

Originally posted by adam
                      okay so heres the facts straight from htsa epa and dot

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...t02012005.html
                      *describes the process of importation of a foreign vehicle

vehicles eligible to be imported into america its called the the nissan gtr 1990-99 docket code 5507, represents a comprehensive study by motorex saying its comepletely legel to import them into america. if you want pdf of the studty just do a gov docket search for 5507. you are eligible to import the gtrs and gts into america. since they meet epa regulations and safety standards.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/
                      all the info required for importing a jdm that meets epa standards, skyline meets and exceeds the bare minimum.

http://www.cbp.gov/nafta/docs/us/anx300a.html
                      customs regulations for importation go down for us regultations for importing skyline

the only reason for RIs are fixing the problem of either conversion to lhd, kmh to mph, and new vin, whihc is actually a state thing not fed.

skylines are legal now to import. they confirmed using docket 5507 with a crash test study of a r33 gtr. finding that they meet or exceed the standard 240sx with same body type.

you just gotta pay for customs and lhd conversion except in cali where emissions are abitch.
                      Wow! so wrong in so many places. The links are correct, but the concept is not.

Yes, the Skylines have passed crash tests and epa, and dot conversions....BUT ONLY AFTER BEING MODIFIED. Do you know how they were modified? Did you know that there are some stupid things like side markers that have to be added, or that the windshield adhesive has to be replaced?

Either you buy the car through Sean (RBMotoring) if he's doing it now, or you just give up. There is no other way.

BTW: The Skyline is NOT certified in the USA as a LHD vehicle. If you convert it to LHD, it would have to be crash tested again.

Please do not pass on mis-information.

Comment

never said this was sold as a lhd, i said it has to be converted to lhd to meet us specs.

and no you do not have to add on anything other than lhd, mph, where in the world do you see the need for sidemakers?! not even any domectics came with it.
                        nthsa sees the skyline as a 240sx, meet the standard 240sx setup and you essentially in the clear.

only place in US where restrictive laws are in force is in cali. in chitown area we have three r34s, atleast a half dozen r33s and a known r32 running around town like its nothing. check out docket 5507.

r34 is owned by a speed shop here, still retaining the rhd and kmph. they also got a S15 direct from japan, still retaing its orignal config, with illinois tags and licence.

i dont throw misiinfo, i throw what i see, and what i see is the facts that nthsa has given teh goo ahead for skyline importation, its only the RI who are saying its aint true, HMMMM....90k for a used gtr, or 20-40k doesnt take genius to figure out whos making money off of ignorance.

the reason why its okay for imprtation is because mr. cohns (current president&ceo) of nissan has given the go ahead for the 08 skyline gtr to come to US. nthsa knows this and will now allow the older version of the gtr because its coming here anyways in 08.
                        Last edited by adam; 05-17-2005, 08:53 AM.

Comment

never said this was sold as a lhd, i said it has to be converted to lhd to meet us specs.

and no you do not have to add on anything other than lhd, mph, where in the world do you see the need for sidemakers?! not even any domectics came with it.
                          nthsa sees the skyline as a 240sx, meet the standard 240sx setup and you essentially in the clear.

only place in US where restrictive laws are in force is in cali. in chitown area we have three r34s, atleast a half dozen r33s and a known r32 running around town like its nothing. check out docket 5507.

r34 is owned by a speed shop here, still retaining the rhd and kmph. they also got a S15 direct from japan, still retaing its orignal config, with illinois tags and licence.

i dont throw misiinfo, i throw what i see, and what i see is the facts that nthsa has given teh goo ahead for skyline importation, its only the RI who are saying its aint true, HMMMM....90k for a used gtr, or 20-40k doesnt take genius to figure out whos making money off of ignorance.

the reason why its okay for imprtation is because mr. cohns (current president&ceo) of nissan has given the go ahead for the 08 skyline gtr to come to US. nthsa knows this and will now allow the older version of the gtr because its coming here anyways in 08.
                          HAHA! I've never read so much BS in my entire life. Learn the laws before you quote them.

Comment

Wrong. The Skyline does not have to be converted to LHD.

All current US cars have sidemarkers. Take a quick look at every car in the US marketplace and you'll find sidemarkers.

Who told you this? Do you have POSITIVE proof of what you say?

It doesn't matter what you see. You're still grossly misinformed.

The NHTSA does not care what any car company decides to release as their future car. They only care about the paperwork filed for the particular car in question. So just because Nissan plans for release the next "GTR" in 2008, that doesn't mean a thing to the NHTSA.

BTW...it is Carlos Ghosn. Not "Mr. Cohns".

Too many mistakes in what you said to be believeable.

This is an old thread. Please read the information provided by tyndago or visit freshalloy.com, as these types of threads have been discussed way too many times.

Comment

"Vehicles that have been determined eligible for importation are assigned a vehicle eligibility number. All eligibility numbers are for left-hand drive motor vehicles except where right-hand drive (RHD) is identified after the model. While there is no specific restriction on importing a right-hand drive vehicle, these may not be imported under eligibility decisions based on the existence of substantially similar U.S.- certified left-hand drive vehicles. Our experience has shown that the safety performance of right-hand drive vehicles is not necessarily the same as that of apparently similar left-hand drive vehicles offered for sale in this country. However, we will consider the vehicles "substantially similar" if the manufacturer advises us that the right-hand drive vehicle would perform the same as the U.S.-certified left-hand drive vehicle in dynamic crash tests. Absent such a showing, the RI would have to demonstrate (through a petition) that the vehicle, when modified, would comply with all applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards, including those for which dynamic crash testing is prescribed."

and further down the page:
                              "Nissan GTS, GTR (RHD) 1990-1999 17 NHTSA-1999 5507"

So it seems that a LHD would not be legal...only the RHD would be, and ONLY after modifing the chassis as decribed by Motorex's petition.

No, they don't view the Skyline as a '240sx'. Motorex petitioned several items that were similar and the NHSTA agreed, but nowhere did they state that the whole car was the equivilent of a 240sx. Motorex actually stated 240sx and 300zx.

Also, an RI must meet all FMVSS regualtions. I take it you have not read this at all. The skyline had to have the glass adhesive replaced to meet #212:
                              http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...dex.html#SN212

and the side markers? Those are covered under http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...dex.html#SN108

only place in US where restrictive laws are in force is in cali.
                              California is only 'restrictive' on Emmisions.

in chitown area we have three r34s, atleast a half dozen r33s and a known r32 running around town like its nothing.
                              and this means they are legal? I think not.

check out docket 5507.
                              I have, all records and documents...several tiemes. Have you? Here....start on this one: http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/pdf42/69794_web.pdf it's only 24 pages long. Remember, Motorex did not list all of the conversions performed, as they petititioned to have some removed from record as 'confidential'. This was reported here: http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/pdf42/69783_web.pdf

This clearly points out the fact that they are here illegally...which is not uncommon.

well, so far, you've had nothing BUT mis-information.

What does a new version of a car have to do with an old version of a car? Absolutely nothing! This is one of the most idiotic things I've ever heard.

so, remember this. Being able to give links to people does NOT mean you know what you are talking about. Anything else you'd like to know?

Charles

Comment

OR...
                                You could just take it apart and ship it over in pieces and then rebuild it back in Denton or Witchita Falls or whereever you live and register it as a kit car or something. But then again that takes alot of time to do.

Comment

Working...
                                X