Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• holyyy....

http://www.asanet.org/footnotes/apr01/indextwo.html

This is so racial... all they talk about is asian people fuk after the guy that wrote this says that if cops see you in a modified car and you are asian you are more likley to get in *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*... wtf

like for example....

Non-Asian American participants are accepted into the car culture based on their car performance or show ability

So if an asian person has a stock civic and a non asian has a modified supra. They will both be accepted???

by Victoria Namkung, University of California, Los Angeles

the writer seems to be a Asian herself.

I think she just wrote based on her observation.

She said, it took her 2yrs worth of research.

Well everyone got an opinion. Im not worried. I could be racist myself i hate everybody equally

(FYI: im Pure Filipino)

Comment

Let me finish that quote for you

"Non-Asian American participants are accepted into the car culture based on their car performance or show ability as opposed to ethnic origin."

"Unfortunately local law enforcement and business owners view this culture by its participants as opposed to the cars. Since the modified cars are often flashy with stickers or clear lights, they draw attention on the road. In Orange County, it is commonly understood that, if one has an import car and looks Asian American, he will have problems with the police. There have even been documented cases of racial profiling involving Asian American young men and import cars in parts of Orange County. Some local residents see the car crews more as gangs— thereby labeling them as oppositional or deviant groups. The ironic part is that most import racers are college students and live with their parents in middle or upper class neighborhoods. The few instances of violence occur from the illegal drag racing that takes place completely apart from organized events. Asian Americans and Asian immigrants have large populations in Orange County, especially in cities like Irvine and Westminster. Since many of the local high schools now have Asian populations well over 50 percent, there is an anti-Asian sentiment from some parts of the community. Import racing highlights the significance of race, thereby causing discrimination.
      "

Your missing the point.The writer talks about the ricer culture in OC which the young asian ricers use to identifu themselves with.How is it racist? It brings up the subject of prejudice a few times(misinformed)..Regardless of race though,if your running around with a Civic rocking some Dragon Fireball II cheap body kit,a fart can,neon,a crap stereo,and euro tails.Your as$ deserves to get pulled over for being such a moron anyways,regardless of race.

Comment

not bad, i wonder how long ago it was writtem

Comment

yeah, i don't think its racist at all, or at least to one group specifically. Its a college paper by a seemingly asian woman about asian culture. It also mentions latino lowriders and anglo-hotrodders, so the whole thing isn't only talking about asians.

Comment

dammit double posted, sorry all.

Comment

"As with any male dominated sport like football, boxing, or wrestling, females play a sidelined role that is typically sexual. Import racing is no different. Corporate sponsors like Budweiser and Toyo Tires hire scantily clad women to dance and pose with cars and participants. Flyers and ads for import events always feature a girl and a car to attract attention. Some of the women are Asian American, but most are Anglo. There are also female attendees (not hired to be there) who flash cameras and pose with cars. Several Asian American male import racers commented that they felt strange watching Asian American women play this role. While the Asian American males assert their masculinity, they often alienate and exploit female counterparts in the process."

Alienate chicks... bull crap! Personally I love seeing chick get into cars. I think its great. Besides male dominated anything is lame... who wants a sausage fest?

Comment

The writer obviously doesn't know that there ios a good number of women driving Imports' or whatever you want to call them. Companies just hire women because there are (right now) more men attending these showa and they just want to make money so they appeal to the majority, which is men ( right now). I personally love women who are into cars, but the fact is not many women are into cars so why appeal to them ( not anti-femminist or anyhting but just for reason) when you could make money appealing the the majority that will make you more money. Everything in the world is won by business and the most for the least. Very simple.

Comment

i read one paragraph and that was enough. this whole racial crap is pissing me off. when are people going to be done with race profiling?

Comment

the woman is not racist, she made an observation and wrote her opinion about it. and even though you may like seeing women driving imports, that doesn't mean it isn't male dominated. all things involving cars have always been male dominated. you gotta accept some truths even though you may not like them. she is just pointing out all things that are apparent to people outside the "import culture". don't just read one paragraph and get mad at her and stop reading. some things you just have to accept.

- peace

Comment

oh and looking at the bottom of the threads, aren't you the one who posted the thread about what kind of car each race drove?? who are you to call someone racist. how about this, get off the computer, come to the south, and see some real racists (just come to my dad's shop, some of the customers say stuff that makes me want to shoot them) then wait 2 years, and get back on when you are 16. that sound like a good idea??

- peace

p.s. i live in middle georgia, and i love the south and rednecks(well some of them) but racism in any form pisses me off
                      Last edited by 180maniac; 06-29-2004, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CRASHDRIVE
                        by Victoria Namkung, University of California, Los Angeles

the writer seems to be a Asian herself.

I think she just wrote based on her observation.

She said, it took her 2yrs worth of research.

Well everyone got an opinion. Im not worried. I could be racist myself i hate everybody equally

(FYI: im Pure Filipino)
                        im pure flip too.

i dont think people, in general, will get over being racist about things

Comment

Originally posted by marshun
                          im pure flip too.

i dont think people, in general, will get over being racist about things
                          I'm not...but Crashdrive made me an honorary filipino 'cause I eat lumpia.

Comment

Hahaha...She's talking about me...Well, the old me that was...Almost everyone I know fits the description since I live in the area...I CAN'T GET A NIGHT OF SLEEP! Because of a fart can...

Comment

One more thing...Pure Drift quit being a wet bag...Your threads are almost filled with negative stuff. Try to post something positive or be positive or whatever...

Comment

Working...
                              X