Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• american drifting skill in the future

i was thinking..

since drifting started in japan around 20 years ago, and since drifting has been in america for the past year or two, do you think in 19 years that american drifting will be at the same level as the japanese?
    yes
    100.00%
    no
    0.00%

Well if 1+1=2, then yes.

But if drifting dies over here, then no, or at least not for many.

Comment

Drifting wont die here. It might not be mainstream in the future but the real drifters will still be doing their thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Raziel
        Drifting wont die here.
        hopefully with taht said, it's true

Comment

Theres only so much one can do behind the wheel. The gap will close soon as far as 'driver skills' go.

Car technology???? thats another story

Comment

haha yeah your right. i think maybe 7 or 10 years

Comment

Yeah the level of tuning over there is just

Comment

i think american drivers can catch up, but good luck winning in an american car....not to hurt anyone's feelings, but i just dont think american cars are as quick as japanese cars. they are too heavy. also, right now really good tuning parts are hard to come by, unless you have tons of money, and i think it would kinda suck if drifting turned into a sport like road racing or drag racing, where only the super rich can compete. that was one major reason i got into drifting, was that as a high school kid (when i strated) all i needed was a RWD car to drift. i dunno, thats just my take on it....

Comment

Originally posted by SilverGhost
                  i think american drivers can catch up, but good luck winning in an american car....not to hurt anyone's feelings, but i just dont think american cars are as quick as japanese cars. they are too heavy. also, right now really good tuning parts are hard to come by, unless you have tons of money, and i think it would kinda suck if drifting turned into a sport like road racing or drag racing, where only the super rich can compete. that was one major reason i got into drifting, was that as a high school kid (when i strated) all i needed was a RWD car to drift. i dunno, thats just my take on it....
                  Uh, please tell us what type of cars youve built to make that assumption? Its more expensive to make a Japanese car faster.

The build of the cars is based on the economy, mindset and simply the lack of space in Japan.

We dont have the same social and economic issues that they have there...This dictates the way products are marketed and built for us.

But dont think for one second that if the US car makers focus was the same that we wouldnt be on the level or ahead of the game.

Its simply not the same overall focus.

All this JDM jockin is gettin outta hand these days

Comment

i am basing it (my talking about american cars here) not on ones that ive built, but ones rather that i have raced. i have raced cameros, mustangs, and a few other japanese cars too...and to tell you the truth, i have never lost. in my ka powered 240sx i took out a ram air firebird, which accelerated the sh!t out of me, but lucky for me, there were two corners on the road. i went in and stuck the curves at full acceleration, and he couldnt cause his big fat car wouldnt turn. plain and simple. then at the next light he admited to losing cause of those curves, and about 5 times told me how bad a$$ my car was....

im sorry about the rant, but when i can beat cameros in my jeep, thats just f**cked....

i do believe the thread is talking about american drivers skill, not the cars...if you still want to see where in pro drifitng american cars sit as opposed to japanese cars, watch a battle of rhys millen or sam hubbinette against a japanese car...they get beat every time. at our drift show off, rhys millen was getting beat by non D1 drivers, guys who were in formula drift, and as a D1 driver, i would think he would have been able to win at least once....

once again, sorry for the rant, and i dont mean to offend, but from my experiences, japanese cars with japanese made parts are superior to american cars...

Edit: i also said in my first post that i dont think they are as quick..and quick is not fast. american cars are excellent straight line, but this is about drifting, and if you cant corner quickly, you sure as heck cant drift quickly....

Comment

Its easier / Cheaper to drop in a crate motor and end up spending far less than a quality Import turbo kit.

Ive owned a few American cars ( T-types, etc) and trust me: KA's aint beatin' Cameros.5.0's and trans Ams...I have 3 240's Right now and I wouldnt dare get my *Censored**Censored**Censored* handed to me for being stupid trying to race one without atleast having a KA-T.

I do find it humorous that people always compare a modded Import car to a STOCK US car...

No offense, we are all import car fans...but lets not 'get it twisted'.

Back on topic........... We will get there. It will take diverse judging as well to make it fair.

Comment

Maybe more accurate to say its a driver vs. driver condition. Some wacky things can happen in races that don't go in a straight line. Just because your car has the best specs doesn't always mean success, but then again I'm preaching to the chior. I don't think anyone has it all figured out.

Comment

Working...
                        X