Rally driving/drifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rally driving/drifting

right now im drifting my swift on dirt cause its the only place i can realy do it and im thinking about getting another car for drifting on the dirt soon. Its gotta be cheap (under $1000) and have parts available. Im wondering whats better for dirt a fwd or rwd and what some good cars would be for this.

On very tight turns, the FR is able to accelerate earlier, so I guess it's superior.

Comment

It all depends on your personal driving preference. Technically, a FWD is more stable in dirt, and will allow you to be more consistant and focus on driving line and speed. I personally prefer a RWD because it's simply more fun to drive.

Comment

yeah i learned how unstable rwd is in wet gravel the hard way... now i need a new front bumper but it was fun while it lasted

Comment

am i just dumb or is AWD out of the question for a specific reason?

Comment

AWD is very much in the question. Weight transer, e-brake, and judicious throttle application make AWD slide on gravel pretty easily.

Comment

It depends all on your personal driving style in dirt, because of the way the car reacts on dirt there can be HUGE differences in driving style in dirt. Watch WRC a few times, there are guys that fly into a corner sideways and use that to slow down and look like they are going to spin out but are actually preparing their cars angle for the turn exit. Others will enter slower but take the turn at less of an angle and take most of the corner faster. And everything in between. For the first one i explained AWD is best but FWD will do. The further you go on down the line twards the latter the more RWD will be easier to use. That is a general rule these style can be mixed and matched and vary by corner. Have fun.

Comment

The only reason AWD isnt in the question is there are no cheap cars around with AWD. So what would be some specific cars for dirt? ANd while im asking would an AWD like a WRX have torque steer?

Comment

maybe one of those old mazda 323 gtx s? i dunno bout parts support but i remember back in the day when scc made a rally car out of that....stock it had 4wd...was it turbo? i forget....

Comment

Would that be the Laser TX3 or whatever it was called? It was 4WD, turbo but I theyre all modded up an expensive now.
                    Was that model laser that they have some 'Laser challenge' race to promote it in the 80s with all top drivers an one driver said they were shite to drive an he wondered how they could even be allowed on the street even?

Comment

tx3 turbo is a top notch car, for a hell of a lot cheeper there is a FF Version, ud be looking at about AUD$6000 thats stock, with intercooler and what not (came stock)

Comment

what about an old subaru. Sure they didnt have alot of power but they are cheap and AWD

Comment

I want dont like the old subarus. Id rather a ff or fr, probly fr so i can drift it better.

And do AWD cars like WRXs have torque steer? They start off fwd dont they? Until they lose some traction.

Comment

Working...
                          X