No announcement yet.

Takumi's AE86 engine...InitialD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dont forget ( price wise ) its alot stronger motor than just dropping in some pistons and rods...the motor is built. so taken into account all the labor and stuph sounds about right...but does it come with a dealership warranty LOL ( the trd motor that is )

Comment

First off, you need to realize that Initial D is just a TV show. They still throw in some stuff for over-the-topness. Coming here and asking about Takumi's Trueno is kinda like asking how to modify your Dodge Charger to jump rivers like on the Dukes of Hazzard.

You don't want the Formula Atlantic motor. You'd have zero torque, crappy gas mileage, and it'd be a dog from the stoplight. You can't get the power until you rev it to the moon, which means your car won't be reliable as it used to be. Also you have to remember, hi-rev race motors need TONS of manitenance and don't last very long. You don't want to tear down your motor every week now, do you?

If you've got an Ae86, go with the 4agze swap. That's more than enough for a rookie drifter. If that's still not enough, swap in a 3sgte. Plenty of reliable streetable hp with that motor.

If you wanna know about REAL Ae86's, go to club4ag.com and read everything you can get your hands on.

Comment

i would still like to comment that 250 hp out a 1.6L n/a motor is amazing...

getting the trd motor would just like getting a tomei or avant garde motor. its all the same stff and they all run about the same price. which is ot that expensive if you were to consider taking a normal 4a-ge to a performance shopp and have them completely rebuild the entire motor. only way you are going to get the same result for less price is if you do the build up yourself, and you are still looking at plenty of price just fpr parts.

Comment

Tsunami, very true

race engines are built to take care of a specific task, and driving on the street isn't it. Companies have entire crews just to maintain these engines. As cool as it would be to have an race engine like that, it's pretty impractical

some stats I pulled up for the TRD 4A-GE: 250 hp/130 lb.ft

Comment

The engine would only last like 30k, 60k if your nice maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by DoriAltis
              or Bunta

I swear his tofu shop is a front for drugs, who the hell gets that kind of money to buy a TRD 4A-GE and then a 22B just selling tofu

I bet Takumi is really making drug runs every morning
              On the contrary my young lad. I believe he and his gang of peepses drive all black cars with green neon underglow, then they hijack semis full of electronics to get their money. Thats what real tuners do in a pinch. I would know, I've seen The Fast and the Furious.

Comment

It is in fact an AE101 20 valve 4A-GELU silvertop built by TRD, which posts around 240 flywheel horsepower at the flywheel. This is the maximum power output without strenghening the block. It can resist as much as 250hp at around 11k rpm without o-ringing and that kind of stuff. Making it rev that much on the streets would be crazy, as the reliability of the car drops to minumum, and, as Tsunami has already said, the maintenance is so difficult you wouldn't want that engine. I remember that the guys at club4ag.com have posted an article about a Levin that's worth of 100k $ (yes, 100 000 american dollars). The car has everything modified: first, the body was strenghened - it was spot welded, and a rollcage was put in. After that, it went to the paintshop to receive a brand-new panda paintscheme. Then, it had the engine put in. Please note that the engine has been detuned to be streetable, it now revs up to 9k rpm maximum, where it hits 220hp. The engine only costs about 25k; so does the suspension - there aren't only coiulovers in there, it's simply a Cusco racecar suspension set (I wouldn't beleive that this car uses off-the-shelf-from-Autobacs parts). It goes through a track like a rocket. And you know what? I don't like it. You could tune the Hachiroku perfectly without using even a quarter of the budget that was used on this Levin. I would prefer a nicely modded redtop 16 valve with Dellorto side drafts over a lightly tuned 20 valve, either blacktop or silvertop. You can call me oldschool, but hey, everybody has his preferences!

Comment

check it out http://www.j-garage.com/3510.htm

Comment

a full formula atlantac 4ag would be totally unstreetable because its made for an open wheel race car. however there are quiet a few race motors in japan that could be made streetable. if im not mistaken the motor in inital d was a group A motor or something like that. GT driver akira iida has a detuned one in his ae86

more info here on that car here

http://www.club4ag.com/faq%20and%20t...%20project.htm

Comment

That's the 86 I wrote about. Great car, but totally not worth of the money invested into it.

As bluballz had already said, the engine was an AE101 Group-A spec silvertop. Now talk about great motors. Is there any 1.6 liter engine that can be sooo goood? Nah, it's not the Honda's VTEC B16... Ugh. 4A-GE rules! Too bad they don't make it anymore
                      Last edited by Darkstar; 09-24-2004, 07:43 AM.

Comment

anyone can build a FA engine, you can actually order all of the parts needed at your local toyota dealer. This engine would not be good at all for the street. You would probably stall it every time you came to a stop. someone actually did it, heres a link.

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~stompyz/

Comment

yeah, you can get a fully built FA engine, and just put different cams in them so they make their power a little lower (ie. 8 or 9k rpm). I raced an AE86 with such an engine in 2002, and it was a great little car. It had about 210 - 220 bhp, and was pretty light. It was fully race prepped, with coil-overs and 9" slicks at each corner. Wicked little car.

Comment

9" slicks on a Hachiroku!! That's nuts. Lol at least you didn't have to worry about putting the power down!!

Comment

Originally posted by UberSpeed
                              On the contrary my young lad. I believe he and his gang of peepses drive all black cars with green neon underglow, then they hijack semis full of electronics to get their money. Thats what real tuners do in a pinch. I would know, I've seen The Fast and the Furious.
                              Haha.... has anyone of u wondered why Takumi's gf got involved with that old rich guy (never got to see him in the show) driving the merc? I believe Takumi's just a pimp, and his gf supplies him, and Bunta, with the money for their little hobby...

Comment

Working...
                              X