Is there any money in drifting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there any money in drifting?

I mean if you get good and compete can you make money or do you just break even? someone like alex pfeifer is probably making 300k a year but i think he's an exception

Naw, this year i made 550k. Only cause my corolla. If i drove the S2K all year id probably make closer to a mill.
    BattleVersion Mishimoto DDay Kaaz G-Dimension P2M BrianCrower CPpistons K&Wautobody Drifting.com RaysWheels SpeedOMotive Rotora AIT Racing AODA HouseOfKolor CompetitionClutch BullseyePower

Comment

550k man, you must be slacking. You gotta sell that bucket and get a dumptruck. Waaaaay more space for sponser stickers and graphics, plus great low-end torque. I bet you could double your revenue in a dumptruck.

Comment

hey alex, how long did it take you to reach that level of sponsorship to make cash like that?

Comment

he's being sarcastic.

there's no money in drifting.

Comment

oh come on. there has to be some money...may not be as lucrative as say pro baseball, but still, there must be some money in like D1 or something...as much as any other racing....

Comment

First you spend a bunch of dough to build the car, and to enter the events.

Then you're looking at tires, repair parts, hotel, travel, transport for the car, gas, food. Don't forget your crew or whatever as well.

You tell me if there's money in drifting.

Comment

yes, i see what you are saying, but there has to be some kind of return, otherwise there would be no such thing as pro drifters.

if you look at it in the same respect as like say, Circuit racing, its pretty much the same...the cost for the car, tires, repairs, gas, transportaion, tires, and crew members. and they actually have to have a large number of crew members cause they actually pit...with drifting you could get away with like 4 or 5 guys, not needing 25.... like looking at most D1 teams, 90% (about) are just drivers, and do not own the car they drift in competition. so they dont have the expenses the team does, cause im looking at this from a drivers perspective, not a team owner... the driver just gets paid to drift, and thats about it most of the time.

Comment

The purse for D1 is 1 million yen. That translates into roughly 7k. Now do you think there's money in drifting?

Comment

7k for a car that will easily burn through that much in parts and tires in a season?

No, no I don't. I think everyone is looking for sponsers and trying to break even.

The only money in drifting is through the advertising that companies get from their sponsered cars, and probably some for videos and other merchindise deals. In other words people make money off of drifting, not in drifting.
                    Last edited by Parry; 10-24-2004, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Your all missing the point, people drift because they love it, not because there is money. Some sports have sold out, look at the NHL, they want more money, it's not like theyre getting paid more WADS of money anyways. If you go into something you like for money, than your doing it for the wrong reason anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by NismoSigma
                        Your all missing the point, people drift because they love it, not because there is money. Some sports have sold out, look at the NHL, they want more money, it's not like theyre getting paid more WADS of money anyways. If you go into something you like for money, than your doing it for the wrong reason anyways.
                        exactly....you hit the nail right on the head

Comment

i totally agree. but like i said, looking at it from a drivers standpoint, in D1, you must be getting payed. only like 3 or 4 of them actually own the car the drive, and no one dedicates most of a year for nothing.

BTW 1 million yen = around 10,000 USD, so not that much, but still more than 7k....

i hope that drifting doesnt totally sell out, cause that would kinda blow, but thats not saying i wouldnt like to be sponsored....

Comment

You could say there's money OFF drifting, but not IN it. They put graphics and tons of stickers on their cars to sell their parts. With all the V-Opt fans and touge drifters in Japan, that's the drifting companies' billboard. Think about it. The purpose of D1 for the drivers is to advertise their employer's company. Subliminal messaging...Subliminal messiging...

BTW if you'd actually do the conversion, and not just round, you'd find out that the number is in the seven thousands.

Comment

Originally posted by Sil180AE86DRFTR
                              You could say there's money OFF drifting, but not IN it.
                              And I did

SIDENOTE: I'm glad to see you have calmed down and are posting sanely now. Your first 20 or so were all flaming and junk.

Welcome to the board.

Comment

Working...
                              X