V8 in a supra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V8 in a supra

I just bought a 1984 Toyota Supra today, and needless to say it is a pretty cool car. It needs a little work, but overall it is cool.

It runs well, all it needs is a clutch and minor body work. But that is not what I came to talk about.

What I was wondering was, what will dropping a Chevy 302 do with the weight distribution. The motor itself, is not much heavier than the stock L6, and I have to redo the suspension anyways.

Yes, I will put in a new transmission, and rear end. This will most likely come from a Camaro.

Do you think this will be a viable setup?
    I expect to put out around 300hp at the wheels with this motor.

Oh, and if you guys are going to *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* at me about cost, the rear end, tranny and motor will all be free. I've got the motor, and a few mechanics owe me big time.
    Attached Files

Well...

Chevy makes 305's. If you are that worried about weight a 350 is lighter, and displacement is power. The 350 and the 305 use the same block, (both small block chevys) except the larger bore of the 350 means that more material has to be removed from it, reducing weight.

As far as a goal of 300 wheel, that's a moderately worked 305. In these motors there's a lot of power to be found in the heads and the cam, and they are definately two places your money should go.

What are you going to use for a tranny? Beating the crap out of it clutch kicking and whatnot you are going to blow up a T5.

Anyway...

Although I'm sure it's possible, this swap will probalby be a pain in the arse. The first thing that comes to mind is what are you going to use for headers and exhaust? You're going to have to run some whack one-off headers becase of space constraints and the fact that camaro headers won't lign up with anything in a Supra lol. You'll also need motor mounts, tranny mounts, a driveshaft, and probably to do something about the hood. I'd bet it's too low to clear the taller 305. You'll also need a fuel pressure regulator if you run it carburated and perhaps a fuel pump, I'm not sure what that one will flow.
    Last edited by Parry; 11-09-2004, 11:01 AM.

Comment

How about Toyota's 1UZ-FE? A 4 liter V8, not many people did the swap, AND it shouldn't be THAT complicated. But, as Parry said, it'll still be a pain to make all the stuff working without problems.

Comment

Hey, no dude, this is not a 305 or a 350. This is an old school 302 camaro motor.
        I was talking to the mechanic that is giving it to me and he likes the idea of putting the 302 in, and he was talking about how he could rig the motor and tranny.
        But, I am still not too sure what I am going to do, I want to, but I really need to see how much I like the stock L6 first.
        I need to get out on the road, open it up and see how it feels.
        Also, if I ever do end up putting this 302 on there, a supercharger would most likely come with it.
        How are supers for drifting? I never really hear of too many people using them, but then again I am new to the whole scene.

Comment

what year Camaro is the motor out of?

Comment

Why not just get a F-body?

The MA60s become 13 second cars with the 7MGTE, and the only difficult part is the wiring, but there are many helpful Supra people willing to give you input.

You'd be much happier with the 7M IMO, but it's up to you.

Free is always good.

Oh, and to answer your question, doing this conversion won'y really effect the weight disto that much. It might even make it slightly lighter in the front (less metal with the V8)

Comment

Working...
            X