straight axle / independent rear +'s, -'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• straight axle / independent rear +'s, -'s

Building up a drifter... The ride I chose has a solid rear axle so I can't adjust tow or camber in the back. I am capable to do it, so should I switch in an independent rear for its adjustability? Or will it not be worth it? I'm just looking for some experienced opinions, the goods and bads of either set up.

please forgive me if this is talked about on another thread. I did search first with no results.

Thanks

what kind of car is it? it's really all up to you and what you want out of it.

Comment

Well, I didn't really want to say because thats another debate in itself... Its an 86 extended cab Nissan Hardbody Pickup. Let me just say, it a platform to start with. I am a fabricator with a ton of tools and talent. When souping up a car, I BUILD more parts than I buy. I'm sure there won't be much 'Nissan Pickup' left when I am finished with it.
      Anyway, I thought that maybe some people adjust their rear tow to help the car slide easier or to control the slide. I know with a straight axle, I wont be able to adjust it.

Comment

I wouldnt worry about the adjusting at all. Here is what i would do (coming from a fabricator and a driver). Stick with that rear end but flip a couple of the leaf springs, so its alot tighter and lower. Then add a panhard for lateral support and to help roll center.
        BattleVersion Mishimoto DDay Kaaz G-Dimension P2M BrianCrower CPpistons K&Wautobody Drifting.com RaysWheels SpeedOMotive Rotora AIT Racing AODA HouseOfKolor CompetitionClutch BullseyePower

Comment

I see what you're saying - I plan to switch all 4 corners of the truck to coilovers wether I keep the rear solid or switch it to independent. The rear, if I keep the solid axle, will get a four link. Lowering and tightening the suspention won't be a problem.

So you think most track-driven, drift-only cars keep the rear tires in proper alignment? I guess that's what I'm getting at.

Comment

in drifting the rear camber doesnt amount to much. Reason being is after a few laps or runs on new tires, they form or burn off to what ever makes the tire flattest on the ground anyway.

You can however get more life out of the tire by getting the right camber settings.
            BattleVersion Mishimoto DDay Kaaz G-Dimension P2M BrianCrower CPpistons K&Wautobody Drifting.com RaysWheels SpeedOMotive Rotora AIT Racing AODA HouseOfKolor CompetitionClutch BullseyePower

Comment

dude, skip the IRS, and skip the leaf's....
              i know your going coil overs.. go with a 4 link as well...
              thats what im planning on doing...

Comment

Alright. I'll go with the 4 link. Thats going to be easier too, so I'm happy. Thanks for the advice!

Comment

BTW, you CAN adjust camber and toe if you have a torch (heat up the side that you want to shrink, i.e., the top to create negative camber)

4-link and coilovers will be more predictable than leaves.

Comment

Working...
                  X