ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are individual Throttle Bodies good for the engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are individual Throttle Bodies good for the engine?

I was wondering, do individual throttle bodies have filters or are they completely open element? If the are open couldnt that be bad for the engine?

they open when the throttle is pressed
    100%open at full throttle
    water, dirt, and anything that can fit can and will get in if used in non race circumstances.
    they offer a great amount of power over single intakes and even filtered carbs.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

thats what were here for

Comment

It depends... It depends on the driver or the guy who built the car. Personally, I would never leave intakes open to the elements. Dirt and other types of grime can fry your motor...

Most of the individual throttle bodied intakes that I've seen have been open though.

Comment

wow.

individual throttle bodies means you have one throttle body for every intake port on the head/heads. it does not mean you dont have a filter.

now as to the open air question
            some all motor RACECARS run without a filter, but with intake stacks to suck hella airflow , and they are extremely short so that the outside air is like inches from the intake valves making crazy awesome throttle response.

however most itb setups i have seen have been on 4 cylinder cars, mainly hondas, 4ag, and older cars converted to fuel injection. most them have 2 large filters ( i filter over 2 t/b ) and still work fine. but you lose a tiny bit of throttle response. woo woo, who cares. however some japanese nissan ( i think pulsar) have itb on their sr20 stock. some bimmers have itb, stock.

also i noticed you your sceername seems to imply you have a crown vic, whcih means either 4.6L modular power or ho50. just use parts from summit/jegs for an intake manifold. you dont need itb's.

Comment

Too much info, be quick about it

Yes ITBs can have filters but no they do not NEED filters, so not everyone does. For any street use id suggest filters over the stacks.

Added: Btw, a setup like dual webber or whatever carb, can actually make a bit more horsepower at most then itbs can. But theyre tuned for a specific range, so you wont get the best from everywhere. This is the trade off of the two. Itbs are harder to tune properly, wont make as much power at the peak, but offer a more accurate range throughout the entire rpm range. Dual webber carbs will make slightly more max power, but only at a given range for the most part. THeyre also pretty damn easy to tune if u know how, you can juse use a screw driver (man i wanted to keep this short.. sorry )
              Last edited by SidewaysGts; 11-14-2004, 06:31 PM.

Comment

depending on the location of hte itb some setups dont need a filter. some honda setups ive seen i woudl honestly nto put a filter on even if it was my daily driver. however most itb setups ive seen id run a filter ontop the stacks. if it was a track car thoguh id prolly say screw it.

Comment

There are many BMW engines that use individual throttle bodies. They all have an airbox system that incorporates a filter. It's funny because I just read about a guy who modified GSXR 1000 individual throttle bodies to fit the KA24DE. I thought that it was interesting and sounds like a good project. I had individual throttle bodies before and I used filters because I didn't want to clean the throttle plates everyday.

Comment

the gsx-r is getting very popular. i know honda cbr itb are getting used on hondas a lot, the tps sensor is the same so it makes it easy.

Comment

for the itb being with or w/o a filter, its like your car now, you dont have to have a filter on it, but its a good idea for daily driving since you probably dont care about max power driving to work, and you dont want crap getting sucked into the engine. On the track, its up to you, you will make a little more power maybe, due to no restriction of the air. BMW M3, Nissan sunny GTI-R (I think, whatever 4wd turbo hatch) uses itbs on its sr, the nissan rb26dett in the skyline gtr uses itbs.

For the carb thing, im not sure why you think the carbs will make more peak power than the itbs, you can add more fuel just like a carb with efi, so it shouldnt make a big difference in the end, I'm not sure though, maybe youre right. plus from what i understand, carbs can run lean during drifting due to the fact that the sliding around causes the float bowls to run dry and causing the engine to ping.

Comment

M3 has a set of 6 bodies packed in an airbox with an air filter at the end. They create such an swesome sound...

[pictures: M3 3.2 motor with stock ITB's and a custom intlet manifold]

Pulsar/Sunny GTiR RNN14 uses a redtop SR20 motor with ITB's turned to the rear of the car, with an airbox and a plastic pipe going to the left front corner of the car. That SR20 there is a great motor in a stock form, as it has beefier connecting rods and some other things. A nice thing to swap into a 180 if you don't want to change many parts... S13's pistons don't fit, head gasket doesnt fit... It's just that different. Plus, you would have to change the intercooler location, because in a GTiR it's on the top of the engine.

[picture of the GTiR's engine bay: behind the intercooler there are ITB's]

http://members.lycos.co.uk/drifting/...ra_skan_21.jpg

Here's the stock silvertop 20 valve 4A-GE engine. As you can see, there's an airbox with a pipe connected to a filter in the left front car corner (like in a GTiR).

members.lycos.co.uk/drifting/Zdjecie_4AGE_4.jpg

Hope you'll find this useful.

d.
                        Last edited by Darkstar; 11-15-2004, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X