Spark Plug threads SHOT!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark Plug threads SHOT!!!

ok so i am just about ready to put my 240 on the road, i decideed to put in new spark plugs today. the # 1 & # 4 plug threads are all screwed up in the block! the plugs were titght coming out, whoever put them in was a moron! the plugs will go about half way before they stop turning. Is it possible to use a thread repair kit without having to pull the heads off? i'm concerned about pushing metal fragments into the pistons. Help before i take the motor apart!!!

he only thing i can think of is take it a part because youll most liely get some small metal shavingsi cant think of anything else you could do besides maybe stuffing a rag or cloth down there then pull ut out somehow with the shavings. but thats all i got.

good luck

Comment

yeah not sure if the rag thing will work. but i'll keep it in mind. thanks

Comment

i would try to get a new head if I were you. Shouldnt be too expensive for KA or SR heads. Cant think of anything else you could do. Rethreading would do it but I havent heard of a kit that does spark plug treads. Good luck with it.

Comment

there are a few heli-coil kits that are made to repair spark plug threads, i am on a tight budget as it is, and this is not something i had planned on having to fix.

Comment

if it was me id definately pull the head to be safe.

actually if it was me i would just shove them in there b/c im lazy. but if i was thinking correctly i would pull the head and see if its repairable.

Comment

just started to dismantle the motor, jessus this is going to be a pain in the a$$, even the timing chain has to come off. sometimes i miss working on chevy engines.

Comment

If i were you id check your steering alignment.......Naw re-thread them.

Comment

Originally posted by Warped
                  just started to dismantle the motor, jessus this is going to be a pain in the a$$, even the timing chain has to come off. sometimes i miss working on chevy engines.
                  then just put a smallblock in your car :P

(seriously)

Comment

Originally posted by Legit
                    If i were you id check your steering alignment.......Naw re-thread them.
                    What in the hell are you talking about? well anyway i'm not pulling the heads. i got a thread chaser and i found a way to get any remaining metal off of the cylinders. Thanks anyway

Comment

I'm CrAzY. Thats what I'm talkin bout....I'm glad you got it sorted out! Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                      X